What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

300 MPH club!

sailvi767

Well Known Member
Crazy winds today over the SE.
G
2i846dz

49306575957_d68d0d7730_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 70kts on the tail nice. I can't help but notice the 2690 RPM and 16.3 Gal per hour... Your profile says interested in "6". See six CHT/EGT's... RV-10 w/ IO-540? A 4-Jug Lyc at 72% power can't burn that much dinosaur juice. I never cruise above 2500 RPM (2300-2400 typical) unless in a race or climbing... Pull it back to 2300 and LOP you can save a bunch of fuel...

Last edited:
I pushed it up to get above 300 mph. The strange thing is we just installed the new panel. The Dynon pitot tube is massive and seems to have slowed the aircraft about 8 knots and is affecting trim. Still trying to sort it out and need to run a triangle to check speeds. I was seeing about 203 true at 2500 RPM. Now I am seeing about 195. The engine runs well LOP at about 11.0 GPH truing about 185.

It is highly unlikely that the pitot tube is causing a loss of 8 knots...

I agree but the aircraft seems to need more aileron trim and not quite as happy trim wise. In addition a ball type ADSB antenna was added on the belly plus two GPS antennas just ahead of the canopy. They were planned to be under the cowling but a late discovery that the cowling had a layer of carbon fiber forced the decision to mount them on the avionics access panel. The tipover further restricted options. We will recess the GPS antennas at a later date. I am also considering relocating the Dynon pitot further inboard. The installer placed it about mid way in front of the aileron because he had easy access with the wingtip removed. Considering moving it about 3 feet inboard near the access panels to limit yaw. It’s a big pitot tube and at rocket speeds may be causing some disturbed air under the aileron in addition to parasite drag.
G

The engine runs well LOP at about 11.0 GPH truing about 185.

I am just getting to testing cruise speed, but it seems the majority of 10's are getting around 165 at 11 GPH, at least in the 8-10K altitudes. 185 seems a bit optimistic. Definitely want to check your TAS indication performance. May have a static issue.

Larry

Last edited:
I am just getting to testing cruise speed, but it seems the majority of 10's are getting around 165 at 11 GPH, at least in the 8-10K altitudes. 185 seems a bit optimistic. Definitely want to check your TAS indication performance. May have a static issue.

Larry

True, but you can't argue with the Ground Speed !!! :cool:

That's bloody fast but it appears to be WOT, max RPM indicating in the yellow arc. That's damned close to VNE? Oh by the way punching those figures into a TAS calculator shows the displayed TAS is spot on, 195 kts TAS. Nothing wrong with ur system.

Last edited:

Larry

I should have stated this is a F1 Rocket. 195 True is not fast for a F1. 203 to 205 was much better! I want the speed back!
G

It is highly unlikely that the pitot tube is causing a loss of 8 knots...

Clearly not Bob, and he will have to do some calibration runs too. Even though his statement is obviously hyperbole, the pitot mast does add some drag, I still want to know where the speed loss occurred, and what treatment is applied to the mast (if any).

Back