What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-609PP

RV701775

I just finished rounding and beveling the edge of the HS-609PP that fits against the rear spar. I am curious if I beveled it too much where it could have removed too much material. I still have 1/4in edge distance to the last hole, but the thickness at the edge is only 0.14in vs. 0.1875 in thickness. I did not want to bevel it too little, but it was difficult to judge what was sufficient.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks!

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7YL1dRvO9&add

Edge distance

Looks ok to me but call Vans and ask.
In the future, draw edge distance markings so you can see the no go line.

Not sure where the go-nogo line would be. Isnt it dependent upon the bend? how do I figure out where that would be?

Edge distance

Not sure where the go-nogo line would be. Isnt it dependent upon the bend? how do I figure out where that would be?

Draw a circle around the hole. You want full thickness inside the circle if possible. I think I busted that edge distance on the last hole too. Part was replaced.

looks fine.
You only need to radius the edge that lays into the spar bend radius.
The book rivet edge distance is not going to matter that much on a 0.187" thick bar. The rivet is only 0.125" diameter. Not like it is going to tear out of that bar.

It was the spar radius that lays against the bar I was concerned with. It still pops up a bit when laid against the spar. The radius at the end is 1/4in all the way around so no issue.

You were more heavy handed than necessary. That said, I don't think what you did warrants replacement. I'll have to look at mine again to see how aggressive I was.

Back