What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with the dog: funny but serious

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
From NASA ASRS: I departed this morning on a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) flight plan, and my intention was to maintain 1,400 feet until [laterally] clear of [Class] B airspace, which would keep me clear of the Flight Restricted Zone and all [Class] B airspace. At approximately 1,200 feet in my climb, my dog, which had been harnessed in the back seat, leapt into the front passenger seat. In doing so, he hit the dash, somehow managing to clear my flight plan out of my Garmin 430. He pulled my GDL 39 out of the cigarette lighter (my backup navigation), he knocked my tablet (also my backup navigation) onto the passenger side floor, and he ripped the microphone port of my headset out at the connector. I didn?t initially realize that had happened, and I could still hear the radio because the listening port was still plugged in. In trying to keep my dog off of the controls, and flipping the autopilot off to hand-fly, I inadvertently made a climbing turn to 2,200 feet and may have broken into Class B airspace. Upon recognizing this, I immediately descended and made my initial radio call to Potomac. At the time, I thought they had acknowledged my call, but in retrospect, I don?t think they did. A few minutes later as I was still trying to re-trim the airplane, Potomac was trying to reach me, and it was clear to me they couldn?t hear me. It was at this point that I realized my microphone port had been unplugged, and the cord was now wrapped around my 50 pound dog, which was dead weight on top of it. I finally freed the cord and made contact with Potomac. In doing so, my concentration was broken, and when I looked at my position, I was either in or very close to violating the FRZ. I immediately turned around and again made contact with Potomac. At this point forward I stayed clear of Bravo and the FRZ.

Not always a good idea..

Similar story of distraction, different situation...lesson learned. A few years ago, I had bright idea to take a girlfriend and small mini dachshund for a ride in my 46' T-Craft. Hot, bumpy summer day..climbing for cool air, dog starts looking a little woozy, then hurls about 3 days of everything all over the place, which makes girlfriend equally as sick, she hurls out window, now pilot AKA me, is on verge of blowing cookies due to extreme visual and smelly observations. I immediately put the old T bucket into left hard slip to get fresh air in my window and return to my home strip. Notes taken, lessons learned. Done with that!!

This reminds me of an article I read. I think maybe it was 'I learned about flying from that" in flying magazine?

It was about guy who had a cat in a t-craft or cub or something low and slow. The cat went berserk and he chucked it out over a lake, with associated injuries due to the cat objecting.

Cat survived, he needed a lot of band-aides.

Glad this had a happy ending, and thanks for sharing.

Several years ago we took our 15 pound mixed terrier with us to New Mexico in the RV7. After he calmed down and went to sleep on Penny's lap, all was good. Every now and then he would rouse, stretch and push the stick forward with force. Keep him wide awake on short final!

Last edited:
Had a dog few years ago, now gone, unfortunately. I never took him flying. I figured that the possible bad things considerably outweighed the possible good things.

Kind of sorry now, though. Once he'd matured he probably would have been fine.

Dave

Mine flew well ... she passed away this summer. She *HAD* to ride shotgun ... I was flying a Tiger before and she'd "cold nose goose" your right hip by slightly lifting your shirt if you had her in the rear ... awfullly cold nose!

Worse I had with her was her going after a rabbit chasing it from the T-hangars to the runway ... I had to jump in the truck to go get her.

Took our dog flying for the first time a few months ago in my cherokee. He is quite spastic (Australian Shepherd), but with my wife sitting in the back seat holding him, he did just fine. Wasn't long before the drone of cruising lulled him to close his eyes. I would never have considered this solo, especially not without securing him. We've done this a few more times since then and results are consistent. Thankfully he doesn't get motion sick and is eager to hop in the airplane!
IMG_5604%20%281%29-L.jpg

Last edited:
Anelia

Following this post with great interest.
We have a 3 year old Pug. We named her Amelia because we planned for her to travel with us in the RV7a. She is wonderful in the car but has not flown yet. Sure hope she is ok. Do they make doggie barf bags? :D

Puppies

I do a lot of puppy rescues thru Pilots n paws. The most at one time was 7 puppies in my RV6A. Now have a 10 to do more.

A good tether or cage is a must.

Do they make doggie barf bags? :D

Yes, but if a dog "Boils his groceries" he will have this strong urge to "put it back where it came from". Let's just say that every time he licks your face after that, you won't be able to un-see that event... :eek:

-Marc

Following this post with great interest.
We have a 3 year old Pug. We named her Amelia because we planned for her to travel with us in the RV7a. She is wonderful in the car but has not flown yet. Sure hope she is ok. Do they make doggie barf bags? :D
Our Amelia, a little four year old poodle we got and brought back from Honduras when we returned to the US, loves flying with us. She has her own ear muffs and sits quietly on Mary?s lap. I remove the passenger stick when We fly with her so there is more room for her to sit on Mary?s lap. She just smiles at me hoping I?ll let her jump into my lap, which I don?t. I have a few great pics of her smiling as we fly. Some of those flights are in IMC with a bit of turbulence but she she loves it.
In 2020 I?m going to get involved with Pets n Paws.

Dog licks

Yes, but if a dog "Boils his groceries" he will have this strong urge to "put it back where it came from". Let's just say that every time he licks your face after that, you won't be able to un-see that event... :eek:

-Marc

Considering all the body parts a dog can reach, not sure which would be worse. Funny how we use hand sanitizers but let our dogs lick. :D

I do some pilots n paws missions as well in my -8. Just transported a 3 legged Husky yesterday from Hot Springs, AR to my home base at FYE. He spent the night with us and will resume his journey to just south of Cleveland this morning. I had him tethered down to my seat belt anchors with two leashes. He was a good boy and was no trouble, but I do think about the security issues. I've had no issues with any of my PNP dogs but you never know.
bob.jpg

2 kids in back of 250 Comanche, dog between them [strapped in]. 1 kid calls Ralph, other asleep -- dog only interested in 'who gets the big chunks?'
Different dog, we're following my mother home from Texas in her 'new' Cherokee 180, me doing wide 'S-es' to stay behind her: Every time i turn away from the Cherokee, dog reaches forward and nips my elbow...
If they handle car, they'll likely do the airplane as well [based on 4 successes and 1 that blew chunks in the car -- only 1 try in airplane for him] Primary concern is heat: gotta keep 'em cool, cooler than you. Directed air, and shaded. But ALWAYS restrained: if you care enough to seatbelt your passenger, why not the dog?

I am confused, if the dog is in back who is Co-piloting the airplane?

LPV RWY18 approach into a snowy Sunriver Oregon, Truman is watching for other aircraft and Coyotes on the runway.
49243537231_5248d71d4a_c.jpg

The center console is the perfect place to rest hour head.
48891767277_b4d7cb3905_c.jpg

Truman is 3 1/2 years old and has been flying since he was 8 weeks old. We picked him up at the Weed, CA airport on our way home from Oshkosh. We have never had an issue with him flying, when I start loading the plane he wants in.

He does have his own Instagram account
@Trumantheflyingpug

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Our bulldog Torque used to fly in the back of our -9. That was until I was on final one day and he started licking the salt off my neck.

No more rides for him!

Mutt muffs

I am confused, if the dog is in back who is Co-piloting the airplane?

LPV RWY18 approach into a snowy Sunriver Oregon, Truman is watching for other aircraft and Coyotes on the runway.

The center console is the perfect place to rest hour head.
48891767277_b4d7cb3905_c.jpg

Truman is 3 1/2 years old and has been flying since he was 8 weeks old. We picked him up at the Weed, CA airport on our way home from Oshkosh. We have never had an issue with him flying, when I start loading the plane he wants in.

He does have his own Instagram account
@Trumantheflyingpug

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Rob
What brand and size are the ear muffs? Since Mia is a Pug too, the same should fit her.

Back