What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Testing New Plenum integraty.

bret

Well Known Member
Remember when your kids would come along and break your stuff when they were little, well, I am a little big for the test I wanted to do, so my Daughter stopped by today after she went riding, so I asked here to load test my plenum.......here, jump up here and crawl around and stuff, I thought, what an interesting picture, and no, I did not color her hair to match the plane, she is a cosmetologist.....she does here own kind of experimenting.....

20160530_140313_zpsiuusec9f.jpg

20160530_140335_zpsbfjdt3wq.jpg

You had a significantly better model than I had. ;-)

Semper Fi.

28246D87-F82F-4E91-9A9E-B5E995CD2442_zpsvjbbs2h5.jpg

Ya HOO! look at that! I'm not the only twisted one, looks pretty tough!......lets start a thread.....show us your plenum test.........

Ya HOO! look at that! I'm not the only twisted one, looks pretty tough!......lets start a thread.....show us your plenum test.........

My buddy Scott who took that photo was very much against me stepping up there. Something like - "Don't do it (click), that doesn't look very smart (click), this is going to end badly (click), please get down (click)". He was against it from the beginning but he clicked off a half dozen photos while telling me not to do it. Guess he wanted to catch the collapse for posterity.

In hindsight...I likely built it too stiff. All carbon sandwich...not real heavy but it is more stout than it needs to be....which for a jarhead means it's just about right. :)

Looks great! But... not trying to be a Grinch here but maybe you made it too stiff?
The engine/cylinders expand/contract with normal heat cool cycles. As you may have noticed Van's separates the cyl baffles to allow for this, I have seen cracked baffle supports when folks tie 1/3 or 2/4 baffles together.

Last edited:
Thanks Walt, I thought heavy about that area of the front and rear cylinders, the two plenum halves are sandwiched between two .063 T3, I thought about cutting a slot from between the heads all the way to the center and then do a sandwich like the center but only rivet one side, and let the other side move. Does anyone know how much the cylinders move? I see in the Baffle instruction, they want you to increase all the bolt-screw attach holes larger for movement. should I do the same for the plenum attach holes?
Then there is the Cylinder head girdle, has anyone installed one of these?

Back