What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Close Out Tab Bending

Did this yesterday. I sure as **** hope that it's not that critical, because I'm in the same boat.

I've got to think that if it was that critical it'd have been done at the factory, or the bend line would be marked at the factory to be certain it's within tolerance.

Somehow I can't find my piano hinge - which is going to delay my progress for a bit - but I'm pretty happy with how this section is coming together (so far).

How important is it that the elevator close out tabs be bent exatly 1/32 over the bend line. As you can see in the pictures, it is closer to 1/16 in on the trailing edge. When looked at from the bottom of the skin, there is also a bit or waviness. Is this a redo? The top one is not much better.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7gbEJNhMU&e=7pcsNqaZA&listcat=&sid=

I've seen some builder logs where dudes just cut that off and fabricate a rib to close it out. The closeout doesn't touch the trim tab so I'm happy how mine came out.

Is that top or bottom skin? The bottom skin tab/fold nests inside the top skin tab/fold, so if it's the bottom skin, you may be able to get away with it as is. If it's the top skin, you'll kinda have to decide what's acceptable - I doubt this would fail an airworthiness inspection, though I'm in no way qualified to make that call.

For different reasons, I redid my trim tab recently, and it's one of the cheaper fixes to do, in all the categories: time, parts and shipping.

The "make a rib to close it out" is also an interesting idea.

A tip for future builders

So got through the tab bends OK, only to mess up the match drilling. When I went to match drill them, I must have been squeezing the tabs together a bit too much and ended up pulling the lower skin out of alignment a couple of mm.

My recommendation to future builders would be to insert one of the foam ribs near the closeout tabs (avoid drilling into it) so you get the shape/distance right when you match drill them. Or make sure you use a straight edge on both the top and bottom skins to keep them properly aligned with the elevator skins as you drill.

I have a note into Vans to see what they say is the best course of action.

Any thoughts on best way to fix this?

Edit: Just noticed this post was for a -14 and I'm working on a -10, so not sure what the differences are.

Attachments

• 01-Bottom-of-right-elevator-outboard-of-trim-tab.jpg
    01-Bottom-of-right-elevator-outboard-of-trim-tab.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 02-Bottom-of-right-elevator--first-rib.jpg
    02-Bottom-of-right-elevator--first-rib.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 213
  • 03-Top-of-right-elevator-outboard-of-trim-tab.jpg
    03-Top-of-right-elevator-outboard-of-trim-tab.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Back