What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CiES Fuel sender install PDF

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Aloha Folks

I decided I would be kicking myself every time I got in the plane if I didn't set up the CiES fuel senders that could read from "Full to Empty" range on the tanks.

So I bit the bullet made a bunch of calls and emails with CiES and we came up with a Fuel sender setup that is specific to the RV-14. You can now contact them and ask for the "RV-14 Senders" and you will receive the kit I have detailed in the attached PDF.

If your original sender dies you can upgrade with just the inboard senders from this kit for about half the price. New senders MTBF is 60,000hrs.

Couple of Notes

I am not a CiES employee just a happy customer

They, like most other small businesses can get swamped with projects so if you do not hear back from them be patient and reach out again. They are genuinely excited about getting your business. Email with a follow up phone call works best if you think you fell through the cracks. But realistically once you read my PDF I don't think you will need to do much coordination with them.

It's not a cheap upgrade. It will set you back around 2K.

CiES is open for doing a group buy on this site if they get enough inquires from VAF folks.

If the PDF does not work here It is also posted on the FB "Vans RV-14" group under FILES.

Enjoy

Attachments

• RV14 FUEL TANK MOD VAF Reduced.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 963
Pete, can I ask how you ran the wiring coming out of the fuel senders on the inboard most end of the fuel tank? The RV14 spar was predrilled with a hole only large enough for 1 wire for the stock senders. Did you enlarge this hole, add a new one or run the wire some other route? The aileron torque tube is somewhat in the way as well.
Thanks!

I am unfortunately in Covid corrosion purgatory and am about 10 months behind on my fuselage delivery. Long story short I don't know yet how I will run the wires. but thoughts bellow.

You can heat up the heat shrink on the pigtail and bend it in the direction you need once it cools it will keep that bend and should clear the torque tube.

I updated the plans PDF with some more images for wiring and the low fuel sensor I installed.

I am thinking above the aileron torque tube might be a location for a through hole. (I added a picture in the plans) I don't know if I can just drill a small hole or will need to add a doubler for strength first. Maybe someone with a bit of engineering background can chime in?

Back