What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to prep for interior paint?

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
So my interior is looking pretty as a fully Azko primed green surface. I have a gallon of jetflex wr on order. What is the best way to prep and clean to surfaces for the jetflex? I'm thinking light scuffing with scotchbrite followed by wipe down with clean damp rag? Maybe a drop of detergent in the water to remove any oil reside first? Thoughts....

So my interior is looking pretty as a fully Azko primed green surface. I have a gallon of jetflex wr on order. What is the best way to prep and clean to surfaces for the jetflex? I'm thinking light scuffing with scotchbrite followed by wipe down with clean damp rag? Maybe a drop of detergent in the water to remove any oil reside first? Thoughts....

I followed what other Akzo users did and it seems effective.

Just as you said, but rubbing the ScotchBrite with acetone, which seems to slightly soften the epoxy surface.

Me? Wipe with a damp cloth, followed by a wipe with acetone, denatured alcohol, or one of the commercially available wax and grease removers, then scuff, then wipe down again with the acetone/alchohol/or degreaser product.

At the Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Coatings Training Program I learned they recommend their CM0110120 Wiping Solvent. Very easy and very effective. That's all I need to prep the QB primer for my interior.

At the Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Coatings Training Program I learned they recommend their CM0110120 Wiping Solvent. Very easy and very effective. That's all I need to prep the QB primer for my interior.

Yes, but the QB primer will wipe me off with solvents IIRC.

The OP used epoxy Akzo primer which is harder and much more solvent resistant.

Again, I would use scotchbrite as well.

Back