What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A paint job for N614EF

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
1b_2.jpg

The plane goes into the paint shop in mid-April, so the design team contacted me last week to begin working on what the possibilities might be. As you may know, I want to stress the polished aluminum, blending in the fiberglass components without straight lines, so you don't have the usual "this is where the fiberglass ends and the metal begins" that I see with a lot of polished RVs. I also want to modernize the classic Cessna-style paint job, which also takes care of the problem of having a fiberglass buildup on a section of the top forward skin.

All the proposed designs are on my blog write-up.

Very classy! Might think about the stripes on the wheel pants. Could be one too many swooshes.

Just a subjective opinion from the cheap seats.

Beautiful Bob - very classy. I also would take another look at the wheel pants - many people's experience has shown that you ARE going to tear them up some day with a flat tire or long grass, or falling off the pavement edge. If the lower third (or so) is all one standard color (preferably a spray can color), repair is a piece of cake.

Granted, it can compromise the design aspects, but it is something to think about. I do like the looks of what you've got!

..not so fast Bob!!!

...you can exactly match the fuselage paint sequence by making the rear lower pant(s) area chrome! There's new adhesive vinyl automotive wrap material....and because you aren't going too far up the curve, it would be no huge deal to apply.....and replace when it gets dinged up.
I'll try to find a link, but most of the automotive restylers have access and experience with this stuff.

here's a supplier, but only full rolls from the look of it. Google is your friend.

http://www.vinylwrapshop.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3347416

http://www.carwrapsupplier.com/product/chrome-silver/

some other guys with samples and lots of sizes!

(I am not affiliated with, nor endorse any of the aforementioned businesses.)

Last edited:
Very nice

Love the design, I agree about the WPs. We have had all three of ours repainted now and with 4 colors on them it gets very expensive!

At first I did not realize you were going to polish it. That will really make it special!

Good luck Bob

Looks great!!!

Hi Bob,

Looks great. As was discussed on RV-Nation when you asked for comments, there is some concern about the paint to polish lines. Wonder what others experience is with that? Hate to see a problem later on a great design.

Also, the "flat plate" design templates don't have elevator and rudder hinge locations, fuselage seems, inspection plates etc?. Avoid paint lines in these areas if possible. Learned the hard way:D

The blue looks good. Do you have actual paint color selected?

Wheel pants

Beautiful Bob - very classy. I also would take another look at the wheel pants - many people's experience has shown that you ARE going to tear them up some day with a flat tire or long grass, or falling off the pavement edge. If the lower third (or so) is all one standard color (preferably a spray can color), repair is a piece of cake.

Granted, it can compromise the design aspects, but it is something to think about. I do like the looks of what you've got!

Paul,
As I recall you experienced damaged pants at Petit Jean. Over the past 14 years I've repaired, and repainted my wheel pants twice. They really take a beating!

Bob,
I too like your paint scheme. Very classy!

leading edges

Bob-
This will look fantastic! One thought: I flew Banana Puddin for a couple months polished before getting around to paint. I realized that dealing with bugs on polished leading edges was going to be a real hassle, so I decided to paint all leading edges - much easier to keep clean now. Something to keep in mind.

Eric

Hi Bob,

Looks great. As was discussed on RV-Nation when you asked for comments, there is some concern about the paint to polish lines. Wonder what others experience is with that? Hate to see a problem later on a great design.

Also, the "flat plate" design templates don't have elevator and rudder hinge locations, fuselage seems, inspection plates etc?. Avoid paint lines in these areas if possible. Learned the hard way:D

The blue looks good. Do you have actual paint color selected?

I'm pretty sure there are no design elements anywhere near hinge lines. I haven't selected a color yet. Gotta figure out what will work with the grey and maroon interior. The original emerald green I liked really won't.

I am considering the spots where I'll have to mask off paint in order to polish. They're fairly minimal right now.

Bob-
This will look fantastic! One thought: I flew Banana Puddin for a couple months polished before getting around to paint. I realized that dealing with bugs on polished leading edges was going to be a real hassle, so I decided to paint all leading edges - much easier to keep clean now. Something to keep in mind.

Eric

And I did consider that, but specifically decided not to paint either the leading edge or the underside. Stein and Jed gave me the idea of doing both with their RV-7 but decided against it in favor of a good bottle of wash. It doesn't take me too long to do the underside since I don't polish it down to a mirror like I do locations that are more visible.

new paint

Bob,
I like the concept. It will be very clean and classy. I agree with the other comments about the wheel pants. Maybe a bit too much.

Bob,
I can not say enough good things about the process I had working with Ray Mattison (designer) and the team up at Midwest Aircraft Refinishing. Absolute pros, all of them. I am sure that you will be happy with the results. When you see the magic they do with fiberglass and the rest of the plane you will kick yourself for spending so much time on those components.

I like it Bob. Can't wait to see it in person at AV2014. You gonna be there?

All depends on whether I get the medical back. Also, my mother, who turned 92 this month, has said she wishes she could take one last trip to her hometown of MT. Gilead, Ohio so I've been trying to think about how to pay for this paint job AND rent an RV (the one on wheels) to accommodate her infirmities. Man that RV rental is expensive.

But I also know if I don't do it, I'll always regret it. And I used a lot of vacation time with Meniere's so I may only have enough vacation time for one excursion.

Bob I like the color. Let me ask you why the lines are "squarish" and not classy RV curves? You have a 7 and it's speedy but the lines would "slow it down a bit". Any designer's idea behind the geometry I am missing? :)

The not-quite-curved, not-quite-straight lines are a nod to the RV itself and the instructions to the designer to blend the various components of an RV (the solid straight line, the curved wing tips etc).

I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Bob, that's a nice scheme...can't wait to hear that your medical is back and see the plane after it's painted!

7a tip up template

hi bob
that's pretty cool.
can you tell me what software you are using to develop and display your scheme?
i'd like develop a scheme for my 7a tip up as well :)

regards and thanks

jeff H, KWVI
n377cp
dues paid

Bob,
The new scheme looks very sleek. I'm very happy to hear that you are trying to get your medical back and did not sell your plane. Although I would have loved to buy your plane at this point its great news to see you getting ready for paint and hopefully back in the air soon. Can't wait to see it with the new paint job :D

I have always loved a polished and painted plane like yours , mine is fully polished and it is very very tough to get near the n numbers or other parts that are painted , when it's time to re polish how do you go about it ,do you tape off all the painted surfaces that way you can get close without hurting the paint , I know mine I do a complete polish job around , may or June and that will usually last 6 or 7 months then I just go over it with the grade S and cyclo , but also the climate in the north east is brutal , mine is covered in yello pollen as we speak ,

Looks good

I'm doing a paint and polish too and I don't know if I will ever be done. I had it painted and I'm doing the polish. I received instructions from an aviation detail shop at my airport about equipment, supplies, and technique. I needed to tape off anything you didn't want the "black oxidation" on so painted areas and other stuff were covered. I'm running out of steam and want to get flying again so for $50 an hour the wings are going to be done at the detail shop. Hope mine finishes as nice as yours!

Last edited:
I have always loved a polished and painted plane like yours , mine is fully polished and it is very very tough to get near the n numbers or other parts that are painted , when it's time to re polish how do you go about it ,do you tape off all the painted surfaces that way you can get close without hurting the paint , I know mine I do a complete polish job around , may or June and that will usually last 6 or 7 months then I just go over it with the grade S and cyclo , but also the climate in the north east is brutal , mine is covered in yello pollen as we speak ,

I haven't done it yet but my plane is to tape things off, yes. I'll also get a smaller orbiter, perhaps. After a few times polishing with the wool pad and F7, I'm hoping to be doing mostly fleece and cyclo. A lot a may dab and use my finger and fleece to get around.

I will say the great thing about photographs is they make the polished area look wayyy better than it really is. This part has sat all winter, has dust on it, wiped off water spots. It's actually pretty ratty looking.

I really like it, Bob; it is unique, understated and gorgeous. I will be thinking of you Thursday; I know how it feels to be in medical limbo, and I will be hoping that you get the same outcome that I eventually did after my mitral valve replacement. Positive thoughts!

Orbital

Looks great Bob.

I have been looking for a small orbital that will take the same pads as the cyclo
. Seems like this would help polish around the paint lines and also in the tight spots. Has anyone found something like this?

Back