What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh out of paint

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Today I had the pleasure of rolling out my RV-10 from the paint shop. She started right up and it was great to get back to the air after all these months.

I worked with the painter on this from start to finish and his expertise was invaluable. But I am also glad I spent as much time hands on as I did as I am much more aware of how to maintain this beauty now.

BEFORE:
20131204_001710907_iOS_zps35007e99.jpg

AFTER:
20140521_005213753_iOS_zps7caab28f.jpg

20140521_013044114_iOS_zpsda0b6c05.jpg

20140521_013055494_iOS_zpsc6c935f0.jpg

WOW

I have sneaked a peak yesterday in Craig's paint shop. And Mark's -10 is fabulous! I can only guess that out in the light it is even better. Great job on the design and colors! Well worth the wait...
Now, let's go flying!

Slick paint job. Can't wait to see it in person in the sunlight of OSH. Are either of the red or gray metallic?

Mark---my compliments on a fantastic job!. All of us are proud of you and the plane you built. First class. Proud to have been a small part of this beautiful RV10.
Tom

Slick paint job. Can't wait to see it in person in the sunlight of OSH. Are either of the red or gray metallic?

The red, grey and silver are all metallics. The white base is not. The grey color is an AMG grey metallic and from different angles varies from black to light silver. It is truly an amazing paint to see in person. Many people have commented it looks like each of the whiskers is a different shade of paint, but they are all the same. Its just an optical illusion. The longer silver whiskers are a BMW silver and they look like there is a fade, but there is not.

Where did you have it painted, Charlie. I will be looking for a painter after I fly off my 40 hours.

Craig Roberts/Aero Composites here at KUAO painted it for me. He has a long waiting list and from what he told me, wont be doing another RV10 for quite a while (lots of work).

krylon was it?

To echo Bob it's 10 knots faster now just sitting there! Looks great Mark. Can't wait to see in person.

Mark, what kind of cruise performance numbers are you getting with the new wide chord Hartzell prop? I wonder how much of a difference it makes. There was recently an article in one of the aviation magazines that talked about the reasoning behind the wide chords. It was an interesting read.

Beauty!

That 's a Beauty!
Great paint scheme and a great painter.
Hope to meet you in person, maybe in OSH this year.

what makes a great paint job?

That is great...borrowed or not!
One thing I notice is that there are NO straight lines!
Not that it can't look good with a nice long 'waterline', but it really makes the -10 look even more like a curvy composite ship!

That is great...borrowed or not!

I was not implying that borrowed a paintjob was a negative thing. I look at other airplanes as a source of inspiration for my own almost every day. It was a simple question. Now back to the thread.

I love the flow of the multiple lines on the lower part of the aircraft.

Mark, what kind of cruise performance numbers are you getting with the new wide chord Hartzell prop? I wonder how much of a difference it makes. There was recently an article in one of the aviation magazines that talked about the reasoning behind the wide chords. It was an interesting read.

I flew a ton yesterday and I am finding I am a few knots faster than before paint - mostly because of improve body work under the paint. At 75% power, 6000' I am seeing about 178 Knots on average.

Here is a shot while at 72% power, so a little lower on power and a couple of knots slower:
20140521_193207539_iOS_zps7b818c5f.jpg

Last edited:
Back