What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual 7" SV screens

p51dplt

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried to put 2 7" SV screens stacked in the center of the panel in a -8 panel yet? I'm thinking about going that direction for redundancy as I will be doing some IFR flying with mine.

Any thoughts and input appreciated.

In order to do that, you will either have to cut into the mounting flange at the top or extend the panel at the bottom. I know there's at least one who's done this but when I tried to come up with a panel design to do this with the stock panel, it wouldn't work.

Here's a good video of one who did that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvUIjVp2S_I

Here's a screen capture from that video. The builder extended his panel at the bottom:

Untitled-1_zps9e0fee8c.jpg

I am installing two 10" screens side by side. In this configuration the two 7" screens should fit just fine.

B4755BA2-5988-4160-9A44-703E198DF036-12342-00000E3197BFF535.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

See below...the horizontal line at the bottom is where the panel bend occurs. The cutouts for the 7" SkyView displays are shown and clearly won't fit without enlarging the panel. It wouldn't be that difficult to do and you could have a new panel cut out from a cad drawing. Bill Mercer at Up North Aviation could do it for you.

Panel_zpsb5732243.jpg

I have two 7" screens stacked in my -8. I didn't need to cut anything behind the panel to make them fit. Talk to the guys at Steinair. They have all the panel hardware CAD templates and can help you design whatever you need. I think I spent around $200 for their services--totally worth it (and I bought all my avionics from them too because of their service and prices).

The layout works really well for me. Before installation, I was a bit worried that the screens would be too small, but in the -8 you're sitting so close to the panel that they are plenty big. I'm very happy with this setup.

IMG_3519_zpsfbb156ad.jpg

I have two 7" screens stacked in my -8. I didn't need to cut anything behind the panel to make them fit. Talk to the guys at Steinair. They have all the panel hardware CAD templates and can help you design whatever you need. I think I spent around $200 for their services--totally worth it (and I bought all my avionics from them too because of their service and prices).

The layout works really well for me. Before installation, I was a bit worried that the screens would be too small, but in the -8 you're sitting so close to the panel that they are plenty big. I'm very happy with this setup.

IMG_3519_zpsfbb156ad.jpg

At least I know it can be done!
Thanks for posting your panel pic.

Has anyone tried to put 2 7" SV screens stacked in the center of the panel in a -8 panel yet? I'm thinking about going that direction for redundancy as I will be doing some IFR flying with mine.

Any thoughts and input appreciated.

Are you meaning Sky View or Synthetic Vision ????

Paul Dye has a couple of GRT screens, I believe the 8" ones in his RV 8.

Photos should be in http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5018 also, lots of other RV 8 installations.

For clarification, I should have pointed out that no panel flange cutting was required because the cutout hole is smaller than the screen bezel on the front. It's tight, but it works.

GRT Too

Here's another -8 with dual GRT screens in the panel:

DSC_2832small.JPG

Synthetic vision is turned off...

Skylor

Re: GRT Too

That is an awesome panel !!! If I ever upgrade mine again, this will be my "I want it just like this" picture:).

If you want to get really serious about it, it is possible to fit two 10" SkyViews in an RV-8:

Sure I would love that setup, but I still need my radio stack to go somewhere.

Remote mount the radios, control them through the EFIS---------many of the newer big screen units have the option to do this.

In the photo above, there is an intercom and a radio above the EFIS units-----just not the standard looking ones. And looks like a SL30 below.

IMAX

Sure I would love that setup, but I still need my radio stack to go somewhere.

Where we going next "EFIS-IMAX with curved screen. Incredible how avionics progress. I should have waited!

I still like my first generation Dynon, only wish they kept the promise to add more functionality to the autopilot. I know why though, they know guys like me will eventually make a panel upgrade, only I may go Garmin instead.

Cheers

Remote mount the radios, control them through the EFIS---------many of the newer big screen units have the option to do this.

In the photo above, there is an intercom and a radio above the EFIS units-----just not the standard looking ones. And looks like a SL30 below.

That would be great if I could remotely mount a 430W.

Where we going next "EFIS-IMAX with curved screen. Incredible how avionics progress. I should have waited!

I still like my first generation Dynon, only wish they kept the promise to add more functionality to the autopilot. I know why though, they know guys like me will eventually make a panel upgrade, only I may go Garmin instead.

Cheers
I know what you mean Mike. My original plan was to use Dynon legacy boxes, but I really like the features of the Skyview autopilot with the flight director.

The best laid plans....

Back