What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No unusual attitudes tread? 2014 Primary Routine

mv031161

Well Known Member
EAA/IAC have designed a 4 manuver routine for the 2014 season for the Primary category. four very simple and basic routine flown between 1500 and 3500 AGL. And not confined to an aerobatic box. We hope to see some of you join us during 2014 IAC competition. Here is a link for all to enjoy and practice. If in the carolinas/virginia/tennessee area, come and join your local IAC chapter for some practice and coaching. We are all available to help you and welcome you into the sport. Feel free to PM me if you want to hear more. To the tread moderator...feel free to relocate my post as needed...regards. https://www.iac.org/files/knowns/PrimaryPowerKnown2014.pdf

Mitch, can you tell us what the figures mean, and what the judges expect?

That's a loop, a half Cuban, a flat 270 turn, and a roll?

Mitch, here's a basic description:

Loop: Should be round, entry & exit altitudes should be the same

1/2 Cuban: First part should be round, stop on the 45° exactly, the roll will be a slow roll, should stay on the 45° before & after the roll, the line before & after the roll should be the same distance.

270° Turn: Roll into the turn on heading, turn can't start before the wings are at 60° or better, same thing on rollout, stop on heading, then roll out. No altitude gain or loss.

Roll: Technically a slow roll (that doesn't mean it has to be slow), rolling about the axis, no heading change or altitude change.

HTH

Tks

Thanks Doug...i was busy helping a local rv8a owner as to how to roll and not gain/loose any altitude. He was barrel rolling this thing so bad and loosing 300 to 500 feet on each roll. , we worked on his mechanics until he got it...All the kinks were worked out and now he is loosing less that 20 feet from starting attitude.. I noticed on the rv 8 as you are 60 degrees and top rudder and just before knife edge the stick needs to go to the 10:30 position otherwise you will barrel this thing nose down...transition to inverted it holds very nice attitude. We did close to 40 rolls yesterday @3500 agl and noticed best speed to be 120 kias. I like how the rv8 slow rolls too.... It looks like we have gain a few of you interesred. Come join us at an IAC competition wherever you are and inteoduce yourself! We are plane nuts just like all of you and EAA,rs!

Back