What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big day today ( 12-11-2013) for the radial RV-8R

flyboykelly

Well Known Member
Engine is on now. Rotec manufacured the engine mount. The mount is a swing mount allowing me to do maintenance on the accessories if need be. They did a great job as the engine fits right in place. One bolt at a time.....

enginemount1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

enginemount6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

enginemount7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

enginemount8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beautiful!!

Oh man, that is fantastic. I LOVE radial engines!! I'm going to keep an eye on your progress Brian. Great work! :D

Awesome

Bravo. We just came out of the shop bucking rivets on our -8. Great to see some out of the box thinking. We'll look forward to hearing it run.

That is looking awesome Brian! I'm diggin' it! Just liked your FB page to follow along! Fun Stuff?nice work!

Cheers,
Bob

Wow

Luv the roar of a radial , you have the ultimate setup , I have been trying to find a project of some sort that will fit the rotec radial , I want one , :)

C of G

Hi Brian

This is Experimental Aviation at its best...

Any major difference weight wise vs a standard engine (0-360 ) and C of G issue??

Great work

Bruno

Bruno,

The engine with accessories weighs 275 lbs. that is the same as an O-320 according to lycoming. I matched the cg to that of the lycomings on the RV-8 and then added a little bit due the prop being further back.

Holy smokes. Very nice indeed.

I want one. Hope you made a cowl mold and engine mount jig.

OUTSTANDING

Holy **** that's going to be the coolest RV ever. I want to scrap my project and start one just like yours. Can't wait to see the first engine start video and see it in person some day. Truly outstanding Brian.

Way Cool

I have been thinking about doing the same thing, that is so cool, you should build kits for conversions.

Rotec 9 cylinder

So it looks like this is the 150 hp version? If so any plans to turbo-normalize, etc. for better cruise at altitude?

Looking forward to seeing it fly!

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A restoration winding down
RV-9A w/mazda 13B about to start up again

This is the 150hp engine. As of now I don't plan on modifying the engine to include a turbocharger. Although a few years ago Rotec did do ground runs with a fixed wastegate turbo. They ran the MP up until the rings broke on a few of the cylinders. It gave them some good baseline data in case someone did pursue this mod.
I am holding out for the possibility of a larger engine in the future. They are testing the waters right now to see if there is enough interest in a 14 cyl, two row, 220hp engine :eek:
On another note we did a prelim weight and balance yesterday to verify the engine was positioned properly. Our EW came in at 1063lbs and the cg was right where we wanted it! Now it's onto the interface between the engine and the airframe.

Back