What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AF-5000 EFIS now shipping with Skyview Network Support

N402RH

Well Known Member
All AF-5000 systems are now shipping with support for the Dynon Skyview network. We replaced the original CAN Buss interface with the dual path Skyview Network. Unlike the single path CAN Buss the Skyview network has two separate data and power paths. The Skyview Network is constantly switching data between Buss1 and Buss2 and will automatically switch all data to the working Buss in the case of a wire or network failure. The Skyview Network also continuously checks for shorts and breaks in the Network power path. If a power short is detected the power output will be turned off leaving the second power source to power the network devices.

We are also now shipping all three AF-5000 EFIS screen sizes (8.4", 10.4", 12.1") with the optional touch screen. We have been flying our RV-10 for over 200 hours with the new AF-5000T touch screens and they are really awesome. The touch screen makes our already superior user interface even better. When it is really bumpy you still have all the standard buttons and knobs that can be used to do anything that the touch interface is used for. For most flights the touch screen provides a superior interface for quick access to the Transponder, Radio, Bugs, and Map screens.

Here is our new System Design Planning Diagram:
11231918313_afd2e071a8_o.png

Network Layout Diagram:
11231920993_e2bab9aed9_o.png

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

backward compatibility with a 4000

Rob
Just now finishing up on one new to me 4000 afs.
Will the 5000 interface with the new/old 4000.
Would like to move the 4000 to right side and have the new 5000 on left side some day.
Thanks Bill

Remote NAV/ILS?

Rob,

Is there another juicy tidbit in the new diagram that hasn't been announced? I've never seen any notes before about a Remote NAV/ILS radio (P/N 74140), and nothing about it is on your or Dynon's site.

Rob,

Is there another juicy tidbit in the new diagram that hasn't been announced? I've never seen any notes before about a Remote NAV/ILS radio (P/N 74140), and nothing about it is on your or Dynon's site.

Looks like the Val Nav 2KR. If so, ability to control this will be a very welcome addition. And maybe, just maybe, Skyview will pick up the same ability to control the Nav 2KR someday?

The AF-5000 system will still interface to the AF-4500 and AF-3000 systems, both "S" and the older non "S" units.

The P/N: 74140 ILS/NAV Radio that we sell is manufactured by VAL Avionics down the road from us.

The P/N: 74126 Audio Panel with an IntelliVox stereo intercom (4 place) is manufactured by PS-Engineering.

Jeff
AFS Tech Support
[email protected]

Jeff,

Before the usual welcome wagon arrives, welcome to VAF! :D We won't bite (most times).

Thanks for the info. Figured it was the VAL remote box. There's just no mention of it anywhere on AFS's site as being an option, that's all.

Advanced Skyview Network vs. Can Bus

We have been getting a lot questions on why we felt the Skyview Network was better than a Can Bus network. The original AF-5000 EFIS systems use RS-232 for AHRS communication and had a CAN Bus interface for future products. We had a project to migrate the AHRS to CAN along with other future equipment. The new AF-5000 R7 hardware has all the original RS-232 ports along with the new Skyview Network. You can still use our AF-AHRS on the RS-232 serial port or the new Skyview Network ADAHRS.

This diagram shows how a typical CAN Bus EFIS system is configured. Notice that if the single CAN Bus cable were to fail you would lose your primary ADAHRS, Backup ADAHRS, engine monitor, and the autopilot. This might be acceptable for a simple VFR airplane, we felt our customers would demand a more robust design that offers more redundancy.
11244849343_21996a968e_o.png

This diagram shows how our new Skyview Network EFIS system is configured:
11244789606_b7b42e342e_o.png

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

nice developments, rob!

any 8.33khz spacing nav/com coming up?
plans to trickle down some of the new software features into the 3000/4000s series? still waiting for that new and pretty style flight mode annunciator...

rgds,
bernie

CAN vs std serial

This diagram shows how a typical CAN Bus EFIS system is configured. Notice that if the single CAN Bus cable were to fail you would lose your primary ADAHRS, Backup ADAHRS, engine monitor, and the autopilot. This might be acceptable for a simple VFR airplane, we felt our customers would demand a more robust design that offers more redundancy.
Can't say I totally buy this argument. AIRINC-825 (CAN) was setup the same way as Skyview in these cases, two CAN buses are used for critical items.

With the proper software both are good solutions (Although I feel CAN has the upper hand for systems with multiple masters) but the products already released for Skyview makes the change a positive move forward for AFS!

Last edited:
4500 to hub?

I am about to complete an airplane with a 4500 system. Will there be a way to hook. It up to the hub and then talk to the radios, autopilot, etc? If the answer is yes, you just sold a radio, an autopilot, an intercom... Help me out here, it's Christmas time!

David

I am about to complete an airplane with a 4500 system. Will there be a way to hook. It up to the hub and then talk to the radios, autopilot, etc? If the answer is yes, you just sold a radio, an autopilot, an intercom... Help me out here, it's Christmas time!

David

The AF-4500 does not have the Skyview Network. You can add a second AF-5000 screen to talk Skyview and it will talk to your AF-4500. You could also trade in the AF-4500 for the AF-5400, same mounting and wiring and you will get the Skyview network.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

I sure am glad all those fancy functions won't work in Europe! Otherwise I'd "have" to trade in my brand new 4500s, 3400s, Garmin 328 Mode S and the Garmin SL40 VHF....

On the other hand, I sure would've been nice to have all them functions in the -7 (weather, traffic etc etc) not to mention that satelite radio (SX? or WX) in the car!

Is there an upgrade from recent 5XXX hardware or is it just a software update?

We had to make a hardware change on the main board for the Skyview network. To add the Skyview network you will need to swap out the main EFIS boards to the new AF-5000 R7 hardware.

AF-5000T Touch screen upgrade $1,500

AF-5000 R7 Upgrade for Skyview network $1,000

AF-5000T Touch screen and Skyview network $2,000

Another option is to add a second new screen and let it be the Skyview network interface.

Rob Hickman

Back