What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

kids and airplanes

Noel Simmons

Well Known Member
Trying to find some pictures and stories of people that have toddlers around their work shops? Here is Leo at home in the shop

rtqng9.jpg

2lxy2dx.jpg

once upon a time....

Trying to find some pictures and stories of people that have toddlers around their work shops?

Well not anymore, but yes when I was building! My son peeking around the wing in the jig in the photo below is now an 18 year old college freshman (and a newly licensed Private Pilot) and his sister who's feet can be seen under the wing is now a 21 yr old college senior:

LeftWingInboardEndMainSkinsOn.jpg

And our youngest shown below is now a high school freshman but used to help me as 5 and 6 yr old either handing me tools or drawing great pictures with Sharpies that I still get to see every year when I open the tail cone up for inspection!

pd_0312.jpg

Some of those great toddler drawings I review every year (yes, they are upside down...but they were right side up when she drew them with the fuselage upside down in the jig!):

RachelFuselageArtwork001.JPG

I'm glad it was a family project with memories to last as they move away one by one!
Thanks to the last of my toddler helpers, there are actually drawings in the fuselage I can only see with mirrors and flashlights....as can be seen from the skeleton in jig pics at the following link:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/Fuselage/FuselagePage9.htm#photo3

Last edited:
too many photos to post here

I'm guessing this thread will soak up lots of bandwidth from enthusiastic parents. I made the strategic decision early on that my toddler twins would be welcome in the shop while I am building, accidents notwithstanding. I teach shop rules, and they have turned out to be very trainable. Aside from the occasional misplaced tool, no accidents, and lots of great memories and positive attitudes.

DSCN4337.jpg

DSCN4364.jpg

DSCN4480.jpg

And yes, my kids write all over the airplane with the sharpies too. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
My Kids loved working on the plane.

There is just so many great shots, it brings back wonderful memories going through them. My daughter keeps asking when we will be starting the next plane project.:)

Here is my daughter placing the rivets in the HS of the RV10.
2d9adti.jpg

Trying out their spot for the first time, making airplane noises of course.:D
99ga6o.jpg

She sat next to me while I was wiring the panel, for hours on end.
o9ju52.jpg

Just put them to work...

At about 3, my boy and his buddy decided try out the canoe..
P2120026.JPG

By the time he was about 4, it was time to put him to work..

IMG_0604.jpg

Grandson

Here's a couple of my grandson practicing!! I can't wait till I'm finished and his Mom will let me take him with me. He loves airplanes and just turned 3.

07-22-10-04.jpg

07-22-10-02.jpg

Me and JJ

Me and Jenna. She had just turned 3 a month before in this picture. She is now 10 and the plane still isn't flying but very close!

IMG_1798.jpg

Time flies!!

Last edited:
While not an RV...My 4 year old son loves to help me keep our family plane (C-170A) flying. Here he's holding the flap return spring with Vise Grips while I removed the flap for repair.

IMG_0694.jpg

Our 2 year old son's favorite airport activity is helping me move my hangar mate's 150 out of the way so we can go flying. They both love making "airplane noises" in the Pitt's that?s currently at home in the garage getting recovered.

photo6.jpg

No toddlers anymore but they become quite handy now. They did all the riveting on the RV-12 stabilator.
Just after taking the first picture my kid pushed full down resulting in luggage everywhere and a big smile on her face :D

DSCN0185.JPG

09-08%252520ri.JPG

Jake

Here is me and my son Jake (5 mos. at the time). This was taken right after flipping the 'canoe'.

As you can imagine, this is a very special picture for me.

IMG_0837.JPG

They sure grow up quickly

Back in '04 my son was 12 and we were at Oshkosh to make the final decision on building a 7A. By the end of the week, my young son was pushing the borrowed Avery Tools dolly (loaded up with the complete Vans tool kit) from their tent to the far west end of Camp Scholler. Seven years later, the project is nearing the time for the DAR inspection. My son gets credit for assisting in setting every single rivet. Without him, this plane would not be where it is today. Cherish those special times with your kid. This was a life experience for him that he'll never forget. He's now a sophomore in college and still enjoys helping when he can.
Jim Diehl N891DD
RV-7A --just about done!
Based on Lock Haven, Pa

Grandson Austin, age 7 pretending to backrivet, but I only let him dimple that day.
RV7038-1.jpg

Austin,8 and sister Kylah, 5 test flying. They said looping it was a little scary.
RV7286.jpg

Here he is helping with the wing install. Note to other builders: all it takes is 1 grampa and 1 grandson to hang the wings in 20 minutes.
RV-7build063.jpg

At age 10 he helped me pull the engine w/mount off.
RV-7build412.jpg

I just realized, Austin spent more time helping me than anyone else. thanks Buddy!

Back