What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate props for RV-6A

Jtomlinson

I'm New Here
What other fixed pitch props are available for an RV-6A with an 0-360. I have the big sensenich cruise prop that may have a problem.

Weight and Balance

I'm also looking to replace a Sensenich on a RV-6. I'm tilting towards the Whirlwind. What did those who went in this direction do to compensate for the loss of weight with the new prop? I have an O-320 and the weight and balance tends towards tail heavy already.

Thanks!

Cheers, Sean

I'm also looking to replace a Sensenich on a RV-6. I'm tilting towards the Whirlwind. What did those who went in this direction do to compensate for the loss of weight with the new prop? I have an O-320 and the weight and balance tends towards tail heavy already.

Thanks!

Cheers, Sean
Sean,

I have had an Ed Sterba wood, an MT composite fixed pitch, a Catto 3-blade composite, a Whirlwind ground adjustable composite, a Whirlwind composite constant speed, and a Hartzell metal constant speed prop on my RV6 over the last almost 20 years. Initially, I had an older (heavier) starter along with a (balancing?) ring with the wood prop. I had neither of these with the Whirlwind ground adjustable and the plane flew just fine. Yes, a bit "nose-light" {:)

In the lightest config, I did load it once to max aft CG and flew it to a point of deciding if I could fly to minimum fuel. I did, although I had to pay close attention to the flying.

Just sharing to maybe ease your mind a bit. If you stay within the range that Van's gives, you will retain a controllable airplane.

Thanks!

Cheers, Sean

I replaced wood prop with Whirlwind, so all stayed close to same. Sabre plate will take care off additional needed weight.

Thanks James/Butch! I did some guesstimation and found that the CofG does appear to be within limits with the Whirlwind (-22 lbs.) with due attention to max luggage and reduced fuel.

Cheers, Sean

One more thing ...

Thanks James/Butch! I did some guesstimation and found that the CofG does appear to be within limits with the Whirlwind (-22 lbs.) with due attention to max luggage and reduced fuel.

Cheers, Sean

Although I am not recommending such, you could also put two PC680's on the firewall for extra weight if you were not comfortable. It would be some extra weight that had extra value (more electrons for cranking and in the vent of alternator failure),

MyRV6 is fine with the lighter EarthX but if your CG was too far aft, you have a remedy.

I would like to switch to a GA prop as well. I currently have a 20lb crush plate with my Catto to keep the cg forward. I will have to look into alternatives as well. Does look like the WW prop is a little heavier than the Catto, so that helps.

Back