What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

paint booth light REDO

9erDriver

Well Known Member
OK, heeding the sage advice of my fellow VAF'ers and not wanting to foul my lights with paint nor blow myself to smithereens, I built a plastic covered soffit around my new lights. I will then open up the wall behind them allowing them to run in fresh air and effectively isolating them from the paint fumes. Not much of a reduction in light, still substantially more than before the upgrade. Thanks for the advice guys!

IMG_0277.jpg

Please also make sure that the switches are *outside* the plastic envelope of the paint booth. Non-explosion-proof switches are great sources of sparks for ignition of flammable vapors.

You will need lights down low near the floor as well. The more light shinning at all angles is best. I just stood fluorescent light ups around the exterior of the booth all around.

Troy makes a good suggestion - the more "all over" light the better since you will regularly need to look from several angles to see thin spots, runs, etc.

my paint booth has white walls and a white floor to help "bounce" light but it would be better if I had lights low in the walls.

I have decided to use Stewart Systems waterborne paint. I'm going against the grain but my lights are going inside the booth. (Let the flaming begin!) The capture below is off of the Stewart Systems Video and the lights are inside. I'm pretty sure they paint everyday in this booth. I have read their paint is a little finicky but I'm going to give it a try as I have no prior painting experience. The advantages of spraying and cleaning up water based paint are too many to ignore for me.

211486a.jpg
[/IMG]

I visited Stewart' location, and the picture of the booth set-up is what I saw - common flourescent strips inside the booth. Another advantage to water-based paint.

Thinking of using Stewart myself

I have decided to use Stewart Systems waterborne paint.

Hey Mike, how about a review of your experience and the results of your Stewart paint job. I've painted planes and cars before at home and at this point I'm more afraid of my Wife's wrath than explosions. Urethane smell has a way of permeating into everything and will remind your wife for weeks every time you pull into the garage about what you did to her clean home.:eek: Funny but I kind of like that "smell":D

Hey Mike, how about a review of your experience and the results of your Stewart paint job. I've painted planes and cars before at home and at this point I'm more afraid of my Wife's wrath than explosions. Urethane smell has a way of permeating into everything and will remind your wife for weeks every time you pull into the garage about what you did to her clean home.:eek: Funny but I kind of like that "smell":D

I will. I hope to start painting some in January or February if weather allows. My shop is heated but I dont think I can keep the temps up for long with the fans going in the booth if it is below 40 or 50 outside . I will probably watch the weather and wait for warm spells to spray. I will be shooting Insignia White EkoCrylic. I have all the cut and buff tools and supplies used in Dan H's cut and buff threads if needed.

Steward's drying time

Thanks Mike, I'll be watching for it. Drying time is one of my concerns. Their site said something about 4 or 5 hours to be dust free. I don't know if I can keep my grimy fingers away from it that long. Good luck with your paint job. :)

Back