What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Rocket 40th hour flight

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
Haven't flown my Rocket for 3 weeks, mostly weather related but also have the seats out for re-upholstery. Well, today was clear and cool (32* F) so I put some cushions on the floor to sit on, used my parachute for the seat back and went flying. My son lent me his Go Pro so I attached that to the tailwheel spring to see how it worked.

Here is the result: http://youtu.be/wVgskkym5c8

N.B. In Canada we get released from the regulators at 25 hours so this 40th hour flight does not have the same significance it would in the US.

Nice video Mark, great landing. It was interesting to watch the camera angle change as you pulled out of the loop.

A beautiful day with awesome scenery.

I haven't been to the Shuswap for decades.... I used to summer at Mara lake as a kid. What are the best airports to fly in to? I'm thinking about food, as usual.

Food?

Vern, not in the Shuswap, but Kamloops, Kelowna and Penticton all have restaurants on the airport, not that I would actually recommend them.

Mable Lake has a restaurant but the airport folks (private, need permission) don't welcome those that just want to fly in for a meal.

Merritt has a truck stop near by (Husky).

Nakusp is a fun place - they have bikes at the airport to get into town - down hill all the way but of course you have to get back! 25 minutes from Salmon Arm in the Rocket.

Salmon Arm and Vernon are very GA friendly airports, Salmon Arm has some of the cheapest gas, tie downs on the grass, airport car for $20/day in the summer.

Vern, not in the Shuswap, but Kamloops, Kelowna and Penticton all have restaurants on the airport, not that I would actually recommend them.

Mable Lake has a restaurant but the airport folks (private, need permission) don't welcome those that just want to fly in for a meal.

Merritt has a truck stop near by (Husky).

Nakusp is a fun place - they have bikes at the airport to get into town - down hill all the way but of course you have to get back! 25 minutes from Salmon Arm in the Rocket.

Salmon Arm and Vernon are very GA friendly airports, Salmon Arm has some of the cheapest gas, tie downs on the grass, airport car for $20/day in the summer.

Nakusp and Salmon Arm are new to me, so next year I'll fix that, thanks.

Nakusp and Salmon Arm are new to me, so next year I'll fix that, thanks.

Make sure you let me know when you are coming, like to see your plane.

Neat flight from Salmon Arm to Nakusp - go over to Mable Lake, at the south end there is a bit of a pass east to Sugar Lake, and on the east side of Sugar Lake there is a twisty canyon you can fly over to the Arrow Lakes and Nakusp. I've flown the canyon at 4,000', will try it at 3,500' next time I go that way (depending on the passenger) - of course it gets narrower the lower you go and the turns get tighter.

Your antenna is huge! :)

(or you have really tiny wings)

(or the perspective distorts things...)

Nice! ....a little tourism promo!?

Looks sweet Mark!
I have to question a couple of your landing 'techniques'.....no flap, and by my timer, about 224 mph?
....she might float just a tad at that speed eh? :rolleyes:

your aero looks picture perfect on video!.....now where's that smoke?

( not just buttering you up for a ride, but I will be in Salmon Arm this Saturday! Perhaps I can see your bird in the flesh!)

Love the area. Great Video. It was nice talking to you this summer. We enjoyed a week on the lake but preferred flying there than the drive. We will be back in the summer. 400ft of water less than 1000ft of shore :eek:

Salmon Arm is a great active airport!

Back