What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flywheel timer

greghale

I've come up with a flywheel timing pointer that allowed me to set the ignition timing from the top of the engine. It clamps to the flywheel. You point one end of the pointer at the timing mark on the flywheel, clamp that position then move the prop until the other end of the pointer points to the crankcase split. I came up with this to help in timing my IO-540 with the new 6 cylinder E-Mag from the top of the engine. It can also be used for timing a standard mag. If the crank case is covered up by a baffle, you can transfer that position to the front side of the baffle for the pointer to point at.

v1GeAio.jpg

51yN1J8.jpg

QlGdimO.jpg

yzA5sQW.jpg

x3jAL4u.jpg

40 lbs of fresh plastic delivered to me today. I suppose I should do something with it but I don't want to barge in on this man's design.

Last edited:
I plan on selling them for $40.00 including shipping in the USA. It comes as a kit with a degree marker that you can tape to your flywheel for accurate settings. The pin shown in pictures will be 3d printed, but you can replace it with a 1/4" rod and sharpen the ends.

ngh526b.jpg

QJ4gUCn.jpg

If interested, send me an email to [email protected]. I will start printing these tomorrow (06/03/2020). I will advise when your flywheel timing pointer is ready and how to pay for it (preferably PayPal family and friends.

I am a one man show, so I am printing these out on my printer day and night.
cUHowJR.jpg

Last edited:
Back