What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bagels and Cream cheese

awesome work. i just pulled my cabin top off yesterday so we can pretty up the interior portion and paint. you do great work!

Here's a related question:

I keep hearing about lumps and bumps on the RV-10 top. How do you perfectly fair the outside shape so the lumps and bumps go away? I'm familiar with filling pinholes and knocking down rough areas, but I'm not sure how you go about fairing a depression <say> that interrupts a smooth convex surface.

You know you've been at it a little too much when you feel compelled to sand your bagel after meticulously filling all the nooks and crannies with cream cheese.

Thankfully after a couple weeks of daily work on the cabin top......

I'm sorry but after reading this, I can't get an image of an RV-10 with a LOX toupee out of my mind.....:rolleyes:

Here's a related question:

I keep hearing about lumps and bumps on the RV-10 top. How do you perfectly fair the outside shape so the lumps and bumps go away? I'm familiar with filling pinholes and knocking down rough areas, but I'm not sure how you go about fairing a depression <say> that interrupts a smooth convex surface.

There are experts to answer this question. .... But I wonder (if the depression is large) if you can epoxy in some foam to complete the surface and then cover it with glass cloth to build back the smooth convex shape. If the depression is small enough, I'll bet you can can just use an epoxy/flox mix alone to build up the shape you want.

There are experts to answer this question. .... But I wonder (if the depression is large) if you can epoxy in some foam to complete the surface and then cover it with glass cloth to build back the smooth convex shape. If the depression is small enough, I'll bet you can can just use an epoxy/flox mix alone to build up the shape you want.

I should rephrase the question. I can figure out how to fill a low area, but the question is how to sand an area like that so it matches the overall curve of the top. Long flexible sanding boards? I can't imagine that a small sanding apparatus (1/2 sheet sanding block, DA sander, whatever) would give you an accurately faired shape.

good question

I should rephrase the question. I can figure out how to fill a low area, but the question is how to sand an area like that so it matches the overall curve of the top. Long flexible sanding boards? I can't imagine that a small sanding apparatus (1/2 sheet sanding block, DA sander, whatever) would give you an accurately faired shape.

Good question. I don't know how you'd do that. I'd probably get what I could with one of the flexible sanding boards I have and just do the rest by hand. There's probably a better way, though, I'm sure. I hope we get an answer from one of the resident experts.

Kyle, to get at the context of your question, the outside of the RV-10 top is the mold side, and is in great shape as shipped. Very minor flaws, at most. Filling the weave is the major job. The inside is rough because this is the bag side. But, nothing that sanding and filling can't fix. I too went the painted route, and really like the look.

A LOT of filling and sanding...

The fiberglass work on the cabin top as delivered was the most disappointing part of the kit...

Back