What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Dakota Flying Destinations

Birkelbach

Well Known Member
My wife and I are planning to fly to South Dakota for vacation around the 4th of July. Probably spend most of the time in Rapid City but I was wondering what else is there to do in the state that is fun to reach by RV (the flying kind of RV :) )

I'm headed to Spearfish, SD in 3 weeks for our Navion convention. That's in the middle of the Black Hills, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil's Tower. I'll give you a PIREP.

Our plan

We are spending some time in the Black Hills this summer flying into Spearfish. My list of things to see are Rushmore, the train out of Hill City, Sylvan Lake, Spearfish canyon drive, Badlands drive, Custer State Park including wild life loop, Iron Mountain Road, Wind Cave, Crazy Horse, Needles Hiway drive, Mammoth Dig in Hot Springs, Rough Lock Falls in Spearfish Canyon, Aviation Museum at Elsworth AF Base, and hikes include Sunday Gulch hike at Sylvan Lake, Harney Peak( now has new name), Cathedral Spires, Little Summit, and couple other hikes in Spearfish Canyon. When you run out of things to do in the hills, a 90 minute drive NW is Devils Tower.

Many of the good spots have been mentioned, but you must stop just east of Rapid City at Wall, SD (6V4). Wall Drug, is a tacky tourist stop that is across the street from the airport. Blocks and blocks of shops.

This is advertised for miles along I90.

Seriously, it is a simple diversion from all of the wonders this area offers. A good lunch stop. :D

It's been awhile since I've frequented out west normally, but...
Since you'll be on the west side (in no notable order):
  • "M-Hill" - Rapid City - Short Hike. Nothing special. Something to do.
  • Dinosaur Hill - Rapid City - Short Drive - Short look. Ditto on nothing special
  • Sugar Shack - Deadwood - Food
  • Alpine Inn - Hill City, SD
  • Mt. Rushmore :D - (Keystone has some nice taffy)

If you are flying east:
[*]Mitchell Corn Palace (almost as much of a tourist trap as wall drug)
[*]Fly through the Badlands (east of Rapid/Wall Drug)
[*]Missouri River (Chamberlain area) has some nice fishing / water sports / rentals available. Airstrip has courtesy car (or had last year at least)
[*]Sioux Falls - The city has a place called the Falls. Worth maybe a landing?
[*]Sioux Falls - Battleship (USS South Dakota). If you are a fan of the Navy, you'll get a laugh of what this actually is.
[*]JL Beers - Sioux Falls - Burgers/Fries/Beer
[*]Canton (South of Sioux Falls) . Sioux Valley Grille (Courtesy car recently available) -- Call ahead to airport

Wall Drug definitely the largest tourist trap ever.

If you are going to be in town (Rapid City) around the 4th of July, most places west of I-90 (runs North/South a bit once you hit Rapid going North) are banned from fireworks due to fires. Mt. Rushmore use to be a notable exception.

Hot Springs has Lake Angostura near. Can be a nice place for water sports as it's a larger body of water.

Otherwise, anywhere around the Deadwood/Nemo/Dalton lake area will be littered with Cabins/side-by-sides for rent if you want to enjoy the trees and hills. Following dirt roads and paths in 4 wheelers is a common SD west side past time.

Sturgis is pretty boring outside of August.

SD attractions

Jewell cave was very good and if you like theater The Blackhills Playhouse in Custer State Park was great. Been a while since I was there so report back here if you go.

Back