What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Airport To See Crater Lake

DBone

Well Known Member
Wife and I are planning a 2 week west coast flying vacation for this June (actual dates not set yet). We'd love to see Crater lake but were wondering which airport to use. The closest looks to be Prospect State (64S), but looking on Airnav it looks to be relatively dead (no services, car, etc).

Should we use Medford (MFR) or Klamath Falls (LMT) instead? Looks to be a serious drive from either of those. Not sure how much time we'll have to dedicate to this stop, but if we use LMT or MFR, it looks like we'd have to dedicate just about a whole day. Any advice from the locals or anybody that has done it before is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Crater Lake in June...

We did a fly-by last June 3rd. Really nice spot from the air but looks a bit more wintry than you might expect in June ;)

img0152ox.jpg

Stephen,

That's just a little less snow than I saw at the end of November.

Dave, perhaps a drive from Bend would make sense.

I came from the Seattle side.
I stopped at 77S, Hobby Field, Creswell Oregon, where I picked up a friend. We flew to Crater lake, then to S21 Sunriver for lunch, then back to Hobby.
That worked out great for us.
Roseburg is a good choice if you are up from the south. The FBO there is great, and they have loaner cars if you need to go into town, or maybe you can drive it to Crater lake?

Last edited:
Closest airport with all services

Wife and I are planning a 2 week west coast flying vacation for this June (actual dates not set yet). We'd love to see Crater lake but were wondering which airport to use. The closest looks to be Prospect State (64S), but looking on Airnav it looks to be relatively dead (no services, car, etc).

Should we use Medford (MFR) or Klamath Falls (LMT) instead? Looks to be a serious drive from either of those. Not sure how much time we'll have to dedicate to this stop, but if we use LMT or MFR, it looks like we'd have to dedicate just about a whole day. Any advice from the locals or anybody that has done it before is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

The driving distance difference between the two options you mention is only about 12 miles. Klamath Falls is about 12 miles closer than Medford. Either aiport would offer about the same services, like car rentals. Chiloquin is also an option, but I doubt that you could easily find a car rental there. It's about the same as Prospect for services. Chiloquin did have a restaurant within walking distance many years ago. Prospect also has food available a short walk from the airport.

Sounds like you want to drive to it? Medford would be a good choice. Good FBO's and friendly ATC.
Make sure the crater road is open which can be closed even into June sometimes.
The drive is two hours or less but you will want to spend the day for sure. The view from the air is great but seeing it at eye level is better. It is awe inspiring. There are some great sights on the drive up too like the natural bridge where the entire Rouge river goes underground.

KLMT

KFalls KLMT has all services and lodging like MFD.

Greg is spot on. Drive is nice from MFD although easiest access is from KLMT. You will want to count on most of the day for travel and seeing Crater Lake. The best view is from your RV, but the land visit will make you always appreciate your aerial photos. Enjoy.

Crater Lake

Crater Lake is a must see from the ground as well as from the air. It is the deepest lake in the US, at nearly 2000 feet deep! It is an awesome blue colored water on a clear sunny day. Below is a photo our last flight over. Photos don't do it justice compared to seeing it for real.
Lynne_1_020.46233134_large.JPG

Prospect State Airport

Prospect is really cool. The trees are high on either side, so as you descend on final, landing to the east, you settle into a slot below the tree height. At about that time, you overfly a fantastic waterfall just off the end of the runway.

The walk into town is not too far, but a bit of a stroll. There is an old Victorian hotel that is now a Bed and Breakfast.

I landed out there in my glider when a big thunderstorm over Crater Lake overdeveloped. Over half the fleet landed out. My crew and I had a nice dinner at the B&B before driving back to Siskiyou Co.

I would go to Medford

Klamath Falls may be closer but Medford is a prettier drive up the Rogue river, many interesting stops along the way too. As stated earlier go July through Beginning Sept. if you want to take Rim Drive. I recommend the boat tours, it is a 1.1 mile hike into the Crater and 700 ft elevation but worth it, seeing the lake on the water is a geat experience. You can reserve tickets for the boats online through Xanterra, the concessionare at the park. 2 of the boat tours go out to Wizard Island and let you stay out there for part of the day, thats pretty cool as well. Bring mosqito repellant if your going June thru July.

Randy
8A

Sunriver

Sunriver is another option for Crater Lake. I am not sure about the car rental situation. The drive is not that much further than Medford using the North Entrance off of Hwy 138. You would want to check out the Sunriver area as well so one day would not be enough time for both locations. Again, it probably is not doable in June as the North Entrance is usually plowed out around the Fourth of July weekend but it all depends on the snowpack.
I have a cabin at Diamond Lake and use the Prospect airport frequently in the summer but you do need to have your own transportation.

Sunriver car rental

We did land at Sunriver when we visited Crater lake. The FBO can set you up with the car rental.

Though be careful that the car rental has a mileage limit (who does taht anymore???). We didnt notice it and ended up paying quite a bit because of that..

Otherwise, it was a perfect place to land and visit the region ..

Sunriver/S21

We did land at Sunriver when we visited Crater lake. The FBO can set you up with the car rental.

Though be careful that the car rental has a mileage limit (who does taht anymore???). We didnt notice it and ended up paying quite a bit because of that..

Otherwise, it was a perfect place to land and visit the region ..

Sunriver/S21 is also a good choice. They do have rental cars available and can have the car placed at the airport. Sunriver is always a great place to stay for an overnight. I am there about once a month.

Back