What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-7 N87EM

mdevans9

Well Known Member
Very happy to report that after 8 1/2 years of very slowly Quick-Building, I flew my RV-7 on its maiden flight September 28, 2014! The DAR inspection was the day before. I orbited the airport at 2000', while running the new engine hard for about forty minutes, before a small contingent of friends and family watched me land. The airplane flew beautifully - no surprise! Thanks to a whole lot of people who helped me get this done. First to Van and all the people at Van's Aircraft. What a great design and super company. Next, to all of you here at VAF. Doug, et al, this has been a daily stop for me for a long time. I would have quit if it were not for all the great information, shared difficulties, and solutions that you pass along. Several of you have or had your own websites that I visited countless times, including of course, Dan C., who gave me my first RV-7 ride many years ago. I had already bought the kit and was very happy to confirm that an RV-7 handled so well. Bob Collins is an inspiration that through example, drove me onward. Thanks to my friends at ILG, who made certain that I kept focused on the "end game", and who share in this passion of ours. Dave D. thanks for letting me fly your PA-20 whenever I could. That short-winged Piper was great preparation. Finally, thanks to my family, some of whom drove a few rivets or more, and especially to my wife, who never waivered in her support of 'the airplane'.

I have flown twice more - the Grin is still there!

Here are three pictures taken by Rob D. (thanks Rob) 9/28/14:

27yaae0.jpg

2eulny8.jpg

308v4pk.jpg

Awesome News! Enjoy your new machine. Fly safe and have fun.

Just for fun, take a look at the Vans Hobbs meter for RV7's before and after you send them your first flight announcement. Kind of nice to know what completion nubmer you are. As of today, there are 1384 RV7's listed as flying. My RV9A was number 834, when I had my first flight back in April of 2013.

Last edited:
Thanks David! I have enjoyed your posts - especially about your RV-8 first, and subsequent flights.

Merrill

Thanks!

Thanks Matt & Matt,

You and a few others were instrumental in getting me that last mile. Thanks for holding my feet to the fire!

Thank you to all. To those still building, as Rosie says, " ... it's all worth it!"

Merrill

Great News!

Stop by Brandywine sometime or we can grab lunch at Smoketown - that should be within your Phase I geography.

Back