What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring an RV...on a deployment

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

I knew I was going to have more free time on this deployment than I have had on others, so I figured why not wire the RV:D. I spent the first two months designing the electrical system; I drew it out on AutoCAD, figured out every wire size and breaker size. I had a friend from back home measure out the lengths I needed (thanks Jim), then I added a few extra feet to the ends just to make sure.
Before I left home, I made a fake panel out of some scrap, cut it in two and riveted on a hinge so it would fit in my suitcase.

I had stein air send me all the stuff to include the connector kits for the g3x. Here is the result:

I have all the wire runs complete, now it?s time to build the connectors. It?s been fun doing it out here and it has been a huge morale booster.

Way to go Jeremy.

Henceforth I'm going to use you as poster boy when I'm giving the 'ole TC lecture about neat and tidy wire runs. ;)

That...

Major, is impressive! As an old hand at wiring for Honeywell/NASA, I would say professional, spec, quality build. Well Done sir

Where there's a will...

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

I knew I was going to have more free time on this deployment than I have had on others, so I figured why not wire the RV:D.

Nicely done Jeremy!
And I thought having an EAA Chapter "annex" meeting at Balad Iraq was something!
Sierra Hotel...

V/R
Smokey

PS: I started building my RV4 is base housing at Misawa in 89'. I told my neighbors all the banging was some shelves I was building! Keep after it bro, you won't regret it...

Well done!!

This is the way to go even if not on deployment! Solid model (CAD), identify wire runs, then make off plane. Finally, install in plane. You probably saved time this way too!!

It looks like a slider, cool.

Jeremy,
That's great! I love your resourcefulness. I hauled my tools and parts from Charleston to Altus for C-17 IP school. I built my flaps and ailerons at the base auto hobby shop and the wood hobby shop. However, most of the work was done in my VOQ room. I acid etched and alodined my parts in the bath tub!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Jeremy,
Did you make your CAD template by measuring the actual panel in the kit, or find one from Van's or elsewhere. I am planning to do my 7A panel first in AutoCAD, though it will be a while yet. While I could certainly measure points on the curved sections to recreate them, it would save some time, and some measurement error, if there is an accurate one available without depending on that.

Jeremy,
Did you make your CAD template by measuring the actual panel in the kit, or find one from Van's or elsewhere. I am planning to do my 7A panel first in AutoCAD, though it will be a while yet. While I could certainly measure points on the curved sections to recreate them, it would save some time, and some measurement error, if there is an accurate one available without depending on that.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm

Downloaded it from vans;)

Progress

Here are a few pics of my progress this afternoon.

Got well acquainted with wire lace, holly cow my hands hurt! My plan is to have two wire bundles, one for the power distribution (done, I hope) and another for the data. I am going to leave the zip ties on the data bundle since I will add the engine sensor wires to it when I get home. I will then attach both wire bundles with Adel clamps to the bottom flange of the middle bulkhead. Thanks for all the complements, its motivational:D

Time for me to go to bed on this side of the world.

Wow, that's looking really good - do you need a job!?! :)

This looks very similar to how we do things here. One thing I tell people often us buy a PILE of the small cheapo zip ties (they are like a penny a piece or something) and use them extensively as "temporary wire holders". They are so cheap that you can go through many hundreds of them during your panel wiring by simply adding and cutting off as the bundles grow.

Cheers,
Stein

Bravo!!! That's the way to slay this beast of a project. One bite at a time using whatever bits of time you have.

With that quality of work, I'm sure your finished -7 will be a plane to behold.

Mike

Looking good

I've been helping Jerermy with his project since he moved to Tucson. I was a little skeptical about bringing plane parts to work on while deployed to the desert. But now I see he knew what he was talking about. His work is top notch.

Jeremy lives on base in Tucson and in a matter of a week he transformed a standard two car garage into a well organized airplane factory. He installed 220 VAC to the garage and a portable AC which all can be removed without ever knowing it was ever installed.

To help him out because of his limited storage space in base housing I am storing his engine, cowlings and finished canopy in my hangar and his finished tail kit in my home shop (my RV7A old haunting ground).

If you ever need advice on how to make a shipping create to withstand military contract movers or hurricane force winds, Jeremy is your man.

Looking forward to his return so I can help him finish his RV and getting some more outstanding flying advice from one of our military aviators.

Jeremy-keep up the good work, stay sane and see you in a couple of months.

Update:

I got home from my deployment in mid March and I have been working my tail off on this thing since. Here are some updated photos:
61fv4D.jpg

My ground block:
sqWY3M.jpg

A few engine sensors:
QZZugu.jpg

amL4BD.jpg

jRQsFc.jpg

LRU's installed:
eplWb3.jpg

1WUEhl.jpg

Trial Fit of the Avionics, I couldn't resist:D
1pAiDA.jpg

The Free type

VLAD,
They are used primarily in fuel immersion and fuel vapor areas (fuel tanks). The reality is they were free to me, I was able to get about 50 of them at no cost.

Hi, Jeremy
Very nice job, the only thing I would change is the plug wires attached to the engine mount the engine shake will flex the wires on a short run and cause a failure in time. Otherwise it look`s fantastic.
Russ Emick,Jr
RV-8 in progress

I am inspired. I only hope I can make my wiring look even close to that nice.

Although my exposure to aircraft systems is limited, I used to turn wrenches on IBM mainframe computer equipment - back in the days when that meant something. So I've seen how it can/should be done, I just hope I have the patience and attention to detail to do it that way when the time comes.

Hi, Jeremy
Very nice job, the only thing I would change is the plug wires attached to the engine mount the engine shake will flex the wires on a short run and cause a failure in time. Otherwise it look`s fantastic.
Russ Emick,Jr
RV-8 in progress

Great suggestion Russ, I will relocate to attach to the baffling once I get that installed. Thanks!

Back