What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pics of storage bin on center tunnel ????

charosenz

Well Known Member
I am at that 99% done stage and I just read of someone who created a small storage bin on his center tunnel. This has two potential advantages. Besides storage, if you have a AFT C.G. it can help (slightly) move it forward if you put something like tools in it.

If anyone made one of these, I would appreciate if you post some pics here on this thread.

Thanks.

Charlie

The original 6 design had a battery box between the pedals. I was thinking of installing the box in that location and using it for storage. My battery is on the firewall.

I installed temporary bins in my 7, & later in my 6 for trips. They blocked the heater outlet so was reason they were temporary. Secured with a few tabs & nutplates. Otherwise great for carrying small tool kit, air mattress & most importantly-snacks. The up to 20# weight forward of the spar helped to.

Not mine, but I was thinking of creating something like it for my 10. It is from the RV7/7A forum.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=166938

P181217%20(5).JPG

P181217%20(3).JPG

P181217%20(1).JPG

There are some real nice and fancy consoles here.

But to be honest, I was looking for some ideas for storage just aft of the (typical) battery box on the floo- Forward of the spar. That is what I was trying to say....

I built up a cardboard box temp and so far I have cut it down twice so it would not interfere with comfortable leg movement.

Ill try to remember to get some pics for feedback...

IMHO, a removable set up would be best. I strap a soft sided tool bag there when loaded up or CG challenged, but really enjoy the leg stretching room most other times.

I was concerned about the bin moving and potentially interfering with rudder petal operation, therefore I secured them to the floor. My bins were fab'd from .032 aluminum and had provisions for strapping the load down inside & secure.

Ralph,

Love to see some pics if you have time.

Catmandu, thanks, lots to think about.

I did build up a removable base that covers the center section so I can run some wires under it. I make it so I could screw down a box made out of AS. I just have not made it yet. I probably will fly a while without it to see how much leg room I really like. Either way, it will be removable for sure.

Woodmanroger made a cool storage for his first RV6. The man is a true craftsman. He did several beautiful things for his airplane. He also manufactures wooden siffeners.

Battery box

I did use my old battery box as a tool box after I moved my battery to the firewall. I made a door in the front of the box which allows me to gain access from my seat. I do find it it quite a stretch to reach the box in its current position. If you decide to install one , if possible I would try to keep it a little closer to the spar and make it a little bigger if possible.

Sorry don't do pictures, too set in my ways to learn how to.
If you take the picture of Vlad's battery box and extend two vertical aluminum walls back towards the spar you will get the general idea of what I did. Vlad's manual elev trim cable kind of infringes on the area I would use as storage, my planes are equipped with elect trim.

Multi purpose storage box

I built a carbon fiber box to hide my fuel pump/filter, cover a PC680 battery, provide some tool storage and glove box, and mount my O2 bottle. When I've got the bottle installed, I put my cannulae in there. If I don't need the bottle for a flight, I save 12 pounds and leave it behind. When baggage is heavily loaded, the bottle helps to keep the CG in limits.

20170721_110747_zps9sgl0pwc.jpg

I even put a little led light in there for glove box searching.

Ed Holyoke

Ed,

Thanks. I think what you show there is similar to what I was thinking, and may be like what Ralph was describing.

Hate to pepper with questions, but how tall is your box? If you had to do it over again, would you do it any different?

I built a carbon fiber box to hide my fuel pump/filter, cover a PC680 battery, provide some tool storage and glove box, and mount my O2 bottle. When I've got the bottle installed, I put my cannulae in there. If I don't need the bottle for a flight, I save 12 pounds and leave it behind. When baggage is heavily loaded, the bottle helps to keep the CG in limits.

20170721_110747_zps9sgl0pwc.jpg

I even put a little led light in there for glove box searching.

Ed Holyoke

Ed,

Thanks. I think what you show there is similar to what I was thinking, and may be like what Ralph was describing.

Hate to pepper with questions, but how tall is your box? If you had to do it over again, would you do it any different?

Howdy,

I think it's about 9 or 10" tall. I sized it based on where my O2 bottle wanted to be, clear of the rudder pedal crossbars. Mine is slightly angled up coming aft from the firewall to put the o2 regulator in a better position for inflight access. If you're not putting a bottle on top of it, it could easily be taller. I have a battery on its side just behind the firewall. I put some of my tools in zipper bags with zip ties hanging out of them so that I can retrieve them when they are shoved all the way forward on top of the battery leaving room behind for more stuff. The assembly is about as wide as it could be which seemed a little restrictive for pilot/co-pilots' legs at first. I got used to it. It wound up that wide to cover the battery and allow for the fuel line and return from purge valve to the firewall. Try mocking it up a little narrower and see if it meets your needs. I made it out of sheets of carbon fiber layed up over some hex core material and vacuum bagged on a flat bench. Once I had the material, I basically just treated it like sheet metal. I put it all together with hinges so I can get in the maintain the battery and the fuel pump/filter assembly. I wound up removing the left side and installing a vertical hinge in it to make it easier to get to the fuel filter during my second annual.

Ed Holyoke

Ed,

Thank you for the extra detail. Great to hear from a been-there-done-that person.

Howdy,

I think it's about 9 or 10" tall. I sized it based on where my O2 bottle wanted to be, clear of the rudder pedal crossbars. Mine is slightly angled up coming aft from the firewall to put the o2 regulator in a better position for inflight access. If you're not putting a bottle on top of it, it could easily be taller. I have a battery on its side just behind the firewall. I put some of my tools in zipper bags with zip ties hanging out of them so that I can retrieve them when they are shoved all the way forward on top of the battery leaving room behind for more stuff. The assembly is about as wide as it could be which seemed a little restrictive for pilot/co-pilots' legs at first. I got used to it. It wound up that wide to cover the battery and allow for the fuel line and return from purge valve to the firewall. Try mocking it up a little narrower and see if it meets your needs. I made it out of sheets of carbon fiber layed up over some hex core material and vacuum bagged on a flat bench. Once I had the material, I basically just treated it like sheet metal. I put it all together with hinges so I can get in the maintain the battery and the fuel pump/filter assembly. I wound up removing the left side and installing a vertical hinge in it to make it easier to get to the fuel filter during my second annual.

Ed Holyoke

Back