What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And so it begins......

Mike.Smith

I have skin in the game now. Bought a second hand -9 empennage kit. It is a complete kit and came with a lot of tools, cleco?s, clamps etc. I have spent the weekend building tables, a work bench and storage. So far the only concern is one side rudder skin has some corrosion. I don?t know enough to know if I can salvage it or if I?ll have to get a new one. Also, any thoughts on taking the building fundamentals class? There is one next weekend at PDK.

Replacement aluminum is amazingly inexpensive, so don?t hesitate to just call Van?s an order replacement parts. There is no reason to have an airplane that every time you look at it you think ?I should have.....?

On the building class, I suggest a good option is to find a local builder and offer to help him from time to time.

Carl

I'm betting that you could order parts for a whole new rudder for not a whole lot of money.

rudder skins are thin!

Hey,
I suggest that you get a new skin for the rudder, especially considering they're 0.4mm (.016"), and as mentioned the cost of the aluminium parts from Van's is really quite cheap. Freight will cost though as it's a large flat delicate part, so if you can order with other things it won't hurt so much.

As for tips for getting started - there are some relatively easy bits to do on the -9 empennage (the VS is probably the easiest part, followed by the HS, but leave the rudder and elevators till you know what you're doing), or you could order the vans practice kit & toolbox to get you started on the metalworking basics. Use the old corroded skin for practice also - may as well get something out of it.

Take the time to read through all of the manual - especially chapter 5 that covers building techniques etc.

Back