What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proud!!

HansLab

Well Known Member
Never been so proud as I took my firstborn out of the hospital!

Just have a look at this beauty: MGL 10" screens, MGL 8.33 radio, Trig transponder, MGL ECB's. It all works like a charm! In the tunnel you'll see a Matco parking brake. Trim switches in the stick grips. I followed this very forum in many iterations: you can see a headset hanging on one. Furthermore I added a computer fan to the restrictor (build underneath the panel, PAX-side), and microswitches for flaps, open canopy, trim and wing security.

Finally put the upholstery in yesterday - wow. looks more and more like e real touring plane to me, now.

zDPjlq2VlfJ1e3PFvdYYvRIY7wu-06aJI0ISrRlsChjvK5b7QAX1j8InV1quA3CJEZjuPEXGv0LBMLan7BTndWpv7OLJxEi3foflPjpO8rI08DPHRjkNIZwOsuDNlOzWrilpEIJQlDNC4D4LS3JGitTEa7ilaq_15HwWRdtmvnHhUeSp60fPwjwTld5wT1xo07Wn9TNIArqFYiInLVn1t04WLXgGS0vwqTpac2HRbku-n7ep4ejHBEYY1ncl-i5iFurYovLiRN2oynf-q_c5WKI3zCsLvO_UMZnOBm18RROnq9golzsM96Nr1Xnl6IOETYv7GVmi8VtoLcqrbbgRODvUXSFHXTeVq7vhB-QKvuXDPqmctOgBllTohEpGb75pIMEc7YpRjUbGbKQrsmMiqS5lVlKYCjNhOjshH1QNFrfIJZk_7wp1iX0uaEI_dzaCPkLh9SR3xUWaISAy64cU_KEPu3RHP-CQ8T_AzKkx_RSWkHfAjKaY4vZnrJJKINe9yZZ1JEfkRJM5DXkQvdgskZi6dBAOzQHABdfPgHVb488c6UD2UEyEZs02dTKrUl_uCDoJIc3hdGfAZQm-eCqY3NnEi1cca0kN_iPmDM9iRY9DiQv5QYGHGZhJSy9SeQW3Cic0ksInfkbY3SMS3jgUtNZi=w979-h734-no

Last edited:
Very nice...

Just a suggestion... put EFIS/Nav on left screen and EMS/EFIS on right screen. I've been flying with this setup on dual HDX in my friend's 12 and like it a lot.

Great looking panel! Congrats on that. Just wondering if the panel frames won't interfere with the canopy frame bar when closed. Seems pretty tight there at the corners to me.

frame

Thanks Jim for the suggestion, will certainly try it out once flying.

Just wondering if the panel frames won't interfere with the canopy frame bar when closed. Seems pretty tight there at the corners to me.

You are right, it is tight. However it fits just nice and tidy! The whole screen is visible and touchable.
Once I put back the canopy I'll post some pics of a closed one, let me first put on an engine and build me some wings.

Parking Brake

Love your MGL panel - well done! I'm interested in your parking brake install. Really clean and functional. Please advise as to which parking brake (by number please) and which company is the manufacture. Thanks very much

Great looking panal. I like those MGL stuff. What MGL Challenger version are you using - lite or with iBox? How do you like the MGL Radio?

MGL

This panel is iEFIS-light version. So, no iBox. The differences are too little for me considering the price difference (in my use). What I like too is the attractive pricing of MGL-gear. This whole panel (ex Trig) cost me about $ 6K. You do have to find yourself a way to add wiring, though, but ain't that what homebuilding is all about: learning and gaining and enjoying? There are tons of documentation out there to help you out. I know some people are fond of plug and play - I myself prefer knowing why and how it works.

This whole panel (ex Trig) cost me about $ 6K. You do have to find yourself a way to add wiring, though, but ain't that what homebuilding is all about: learning and gaining and enjoying? There are tons of documentation out there to help you out. I know some people are fond of plug and play - I myself prefer knowing why and how it works.

Wait a minute. Two 10,4" panel plus radio for 6.000 USD (equals Euro with tax)? Best offer I have seen on a new MGL Challenger 10,4" lite is 3250Euro. Can you please PM me you source? What about Compass and RDAC modules?

Plug and play wires are a great way to save much time. But like yourself, I enjoyed wiring my own MGL stuff on the last built. It is good explained in the various manuals and forums. My plans for the RV-12 are to have just one 8,5" or 10,4" panel for engine / flying and a tablet as big as possible for navigation, flightpaning and trafic. But I dont see how I can fit a 13" ipad in portrait mode.

Last edited:
My plans for the RV-12 are to have just one 8,5" or 10,4" panel for engine / flying and a tablet as big as possible for navigation, flightpaning and trafic. But I dont see how I can fit a 13" ipad in portrait mode.

I use a 10.5" iPad Pro, RAM mounted to the panel to the right of the radio stack. It occludes the passenger display and kinda its in their lap a bit but so far nobody has complained. Here's what my current setup looks like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EtjfHoUVV9b3u4ut8

Thanks for the picture. The tablet looks huge, when upright. But then this is preferred mode I guess.

Yeah it's pretty big. I started with a Mini but this is much easier to read; the screen on the Pro is much better in daylight and the increased size means I don't have to spend as much time trying to focus on what would otherwise be smaller details on the screen. That being said I wouldn't go much larger than the 10.5" if I could avoid it.

Back