What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Airplane?

Finished my RV-9A last April, and just bought another project/plane for the Hangar.

I managed to find and purchase my grandfathers 1946 J-3 Cub.

I was lucky enough to find it in decent shape in Boise, and the Gentleman that owned it was willing to sell it to me for a reasonable price.

I'm enjoying working on her, and she will make a really nice compliment to the 9.

-Dan

I've got an RV-9A for IFR, X-C and such and an RV-8 for fun. If I get married and we have a dog, the -9A won't be big enough, so I'd want to upgrade it to a -10 or -14. The RV-8 is satisfying to fly well, but the plane that passengers like ***far*** above any other is the AirCam. The SeaRey amphibian is a hoot, too, if you live near seaplane water. With my back recovering from its third surgery in four years, I'm not sure how much acro I'll be doing, but a Skybolt is my favorite there. Thunder Mustang and Turbine Legend are both way pricey but fly well (I've flown both).

But if I were limited to two, and could afford them, it would realistically (?) be an RV-10 and an AirCam.

I became a two-airplane owner just this year, after being a single-plane owner since 1999. My hangar contains a 2008 Mooney Acclaim Type S and a 2010 RV-8 (not built by me). Jay, my 8 should look familiar to you. The Mooney is for long trips, mostly to the West Coast and Cabo. The RV-8 is for local fun when I'm not going on trips.

N8812T%2020130531%200018-L.jpg

That's just awesome! I love your choice in aircraft.

My second plane is an Aviat Husky A1B with MT prop and 29 inch bush wheels and yes it is my favorite by a mile

I bought a Lycoming 320, radios, instruments, etc.. for my project, they are still stuck together as a 1968 172, which is a blast to fly when not building.
ac484701_zpscg1ch4jg.jpg

My next project/purchase will hopefully be a Rotorway (kit) helicopter. It can get me off this small 12 acre lot for fun flying around the area or to the airport quickly for a flight in the -7A.

Just back from restoration is my Jungmann sitting at Vans. I needed some parts for the RV6 CI a couple weeks ago.
16k55za.jpg

Just Highlander

Hi all,
I've been really happy with my standard Just Highlander. It's a perfect complement to my RV10. The 10 is a GREAT cross country machine and we've enjoyed all kinds of trips. The Highlander is our local fun, all season machine. I finished it in July 2014 and had to get my tail wheel endorsement after 30 years and 3,000 plus hours in nose draggers. The skis go on in the winter (Michigan) and now I have amphibious floats for the balance of the year. I got my Sea Plane rating in June and have been practicing whenever I can. Just a couple of pics a a few Go Pro clips. For those looking for a low and slow second airplane the Highlander is very nice. My wife actually likes the Highlander better for local flying, much better visibility. I had to build something with side by side seating or she wouldn't go. The clear doors on both side makes docking much easier.

Fly safe,
Gary

2j67k2o.jpg

2n1csap.jpg

219ypea.jpg

https://vimeo.com/186126466

https://vimeo.com/186501283

Nice setup there! If I lived way up there I think I would do the ski thing. With a nice blanket you can land almost anywhere. :cool:

New Murphy Radical Flies

The new Murphy Aircraft Radical flew last week. Because of weather, they won't be able to fly off their hours in Vancouver in time so they're trailering it to Sun N Fun. This is the best of Murphy, it incorporates all the lessons learned, and has gone the extra mile to make it easier to build than the legacy Murphy products. This will be an excellent back country load hauler, on wheels or floats. It has the new IO-390 and I believe an empty weight of 1150 or so, max gross at 2200 on wheels.

Best,
Jerry Folkerts

Brad,

As you know, a light -4 is a worthy opponent in the 1V1 arena. I've fought big engine Skybolts and the Pitts S2B and with all that built in drag they were no match. I love both planes and think of the -4 as a fighter and the Pitts a dancer. I'm not sure I could beat myself in the Pitts :)

Cheers

Hans

Third?

IMG_1663_zpsy3opu1pv.jpg

Or my other second airplane. OK, so it's the one on the left, and only 1/4 mine. It is a Rans S-7. Three other RV owners on our field and I went together and bought this. Really fun airplane.

Last edited:
We are considering an old razorback 182.

Good old barge, carries 4 plus bags. Lose the door and go skydiving, reasonable strip performance, looks retro, but upgrade the front end bits - hey, you could probably get a Skyview in it now :rolleyes:

I forgot about this thread.

I guess this is a "third" airplane behind the Rocket and the RV-8...

Now I have Fast, medium and slow. Still looking for the right Pitts.

28vt8qb.jpg

I'm still working on getting my financial stars in alignment for my first plane...most likely an RV-6....

Then, assuming I had a LOT of money, the second plane would be a G17S Beechcraft Staggerwing. I fell in love with that plane in college.

https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/1/47533_1193292324.jpg

If, I had to limit my dreams to something I can actually afford, I would be looking at an good used Grumman AA5B Tiger or a Piper Lance.

Good looking Taylorcraft!

Thanks! This is the exact same airplane my Dad had when I was a little kid. It was the very first airplane I ever had a ride in. He sold it when I was 5, so when I tracked it down and found out it was available I bought it sight unseen. It was based a couple of hangars down from Vans Aircraft in Aurora. Hadn't seen it for 43 years...

...it seemed a lot bigger back then!

Last edited:
Second that!

I'm building a hanger out at Bent Willies and called Lockwood today to ask what the hanger clearance height needs to be for an Aircam on floats. 14' 8" to the top of tail. Looks like a good 15' Eve height for me. Don't have plans anytime soon but good to ready.

I have my RV 7 for traveling and my Husky A1B on 29 inch bushwheels for off airport and short flights. Best of both worlds:D

While my son and I have enjoyed hundreds of hours together in the RV-8 and my wife and I have enjoyed some amazing trips together, we have never been able to enjoy flying together as a family. This is my new ride split 4 ways. All of us have other airplanes to fly so it works well.

The airplane is a 1974 F33A Bonanza. It’s real nice and roomy, and fast! It’s got a 300 hp IO-550 and cruises at 170 knots true. We love it. We’ve had it since May and have already taken a few very nice trips in it. In searching for a family plane, my wife said it needs to go at least as fast as the -8. Not quite there, but close enough!

2wecchc.jpg

Second Airplane

Murphy Renegade Spirit for sale - mostly done but needs assembly and covering. It is getting in the way of my RV7 access. Would be a perfect 2nd airplane for an RV owner.

One of our local EAA members flew west and his widow donated it for the purpose of our Pilot Scholarship Program. A dozen scholarships have been awarded from this program so far and most recipients have become private pilots. 100% of proceeds go to the scholarship.

The fuselage is on the gear, needs covering. Honda engine is mounted, electrical done, some instruments installed. Upper wing completed, not covered. Lower wing incomplete, tail feathers complete. Prop, transponder, and other parts to complete are included. Documentation shows over $25K invested. This project needs a home. Perfect winter project, fly it in the spring. Help future pilots as well. PM for more details.

Here's one idea

A friend and I are building a Zenith 801. What better to complement his classic Cessna 120, and my RV-9A, than a four-seat and ugly airplane that hauls a ton of stuff and has copious shoulder room? :)

What would you build or own if you could have a second airplane to share your hanger with your RV.

Or, What do you already have to complement your RV? And how do you use both airplanes?

My RV8, 'Borrowed Horse' flys locally and cross country. Lunch trips and as faraway as the Bahamas. The Tach shows about 7200. First Flight was 07-17-2007

'Shooter' my home built Super Cub, flys to local farm strips. It hauls the guns for trap shooting, and plinking. No shooting here at Hicks airport. It has taken us to Idaho many times, The San Juan Islands, Oshkosh, and hundreds of fun camping places. It will be 14 years old next year. Cruses 90 knots. The tach is nearing 840 hours. 31" Bush Wheels, 180hp. O-360 A1M

1976 C180J, 'Paul Revere' has taken the Super Cubs place as our Camping airplane. It is a 130 Knot airplane. Uses a lot of gas so it mostly gets used for camping trips, not joy rides. Really love the utility of a Sky Wagon. I have nearly 600 hours on it in 6 years.

The Super Cub should go,,, but every time I think about selling, I get sick in the stomach. Guess it will have to stay around.

It changes

since the little bi-plane is now sold.....the second airplane changed to the yellow one for a while.
28587953498_573d06fe8b_b.jpg

But a guy showed up at took it off my hands :rolleyes:

so the new second plane is black and grey.

41558147795_833fb8a7ae_b.jpg

My second airplane

I don't want to build an RV bad enough to spend the hours plus I wanted a rough strip plane. I've started building a Rans (rhymes with Vans) S-21 Outbound. Ailerons and flaps done, starting on wings.

S-21-S.jpg

150 mph cruise, designed for the Titan 340 or Rotax, side by side so I can get my grandkids flying easier than in my RV-8, and plenty of space and load capacity to do some mountain camping when I retire in a few years.

https://www.rans.com/s-21-outbound

I love the Just Super STOL but the slow cruise speed seemed an impediment. Of course, you could fold the wings and trailer it to the mountains...

Lots of options.

If money is no object, then a Corsair. If it's a slightly greater object, then an L-39. Of course, those two are probably not too far apart, cost-wise - the former in acquisition costs, the latter in operating expenses. I was looking seriously at the L-39 recently and realized that the fuel flow alone (at 120 hours/yr.) would put it north of $10K/month.

Maybe a T-6?

I don't want to build an RV bad enough to spend the hours plus I wanted a rough strip plane. I've started building a Rans (rhymes with Vans) S-21 Outbound. Ailerons and flaps done, starting on wings.

S-21-S.jpg

150 mph cruise, designed for the Titan 340 or Rotax, side by side so I can get my grandkids flying easier than in my RV-8, and plenty of space and load capacity to do some mountain camping when I retire in a few years.

https://www.rans.com/s-21-outbound

I love the Just Super STOL but the slow cruise speed seemed an impediment. Of course, you could fold the wings and trailer it to the mountains...

The S-21 is a nice looking bird and with the option to power it with a 340 sure is tempting, but I think my next one....after my current RV-7 build...will be the Rans S-7 with the Roberts gear and 29?s. It?s a great little back-country flyer and also makes for an excellent float-plane. It?s not as fast as the S-21 but for back-country and water operations I think that the tandem seating along with doors on both sides, it?ll be perfect for what I want to do. Low and slow with both doors open sounds like a lot of fun to me!! :)

Mark

Another Airplane!

?. After looking for just over one year at a multitude of aircraft.
Discussing pros, cons, safety, and all around utility, as it would
apply to our personal, as well as business needs. We finely found
and decided on a low time, well equipped 2012 SOCATA TBM 850.
I think this will also be the last airplane as I hate to admit it but I
am getting up there. Thanks, Allan..:D

1932 Monocoupe 110

I finished and flew my RV6 in May of 1996. Still flying N241DC 22+ years later.

n241dcatsez copy.jpg

Like most builders I started looking for another project and strongly considered an RV3. But I also wanted to expand my skills and knowledge so I started looking for an antique airplane to restore. I learned to fly in a Luscombe 8A and always wanted a Monocoupe. The NC12350, a 1932 Monocoupe 110, came up for sale in 2001, well I had to go for it.

Here is an actual picture of NC12350 at the Monocoupe factory in 1932. This photo was used in Monocoupe marketing literature.

NC12350-Large copy.jpg

The airplane had been in an accident in 1968 and over the years the project had passed through several owners. Along the way, many parts were lost, and by the time it came up for sale, here is all that was left:

Original parts0002 copy.jpg

Original parts0006 copy.jpg

Monocoupe only built 47 Model 110?s and from those, the original 7 Monocoupe 110 Specials (clipwings) were built. There are less than ten Model 110?s left in the world, and only one was flying. So this really was an opportunity to rebuild (recreate?) a rare aircraft with some interesting history.

It only took me 18 years but along the way I learned how to weld, aircraft wood working (built a new 32? one piece wing from scratch), additional sheet metal skills and fabric covering.

There is a build log and general Monocoupe blog here.

NC12350 flew for the first time in 50 years on April 26, 2018, from Sedona Airport. The motor is a 7 cylinder Warner Super Scarab SS50A of 145 hp and was overhauled by Al Holloway in Quincy, CA. It has an Aeromatic propeller. Original aluminum wheel pants and a new aluminum bump cowl, with hand hammered bumps.

NC12350-2018-7.jpg

NC12350-2018-1.jpg

NC12350-2018-3.jpg

NC12350-2018-6.jpg

NC12350-2018-11-6.jpg

Gotta love those round engines. Great looking reconstruction.
Please forgive my ignorance but what's up with the clocking of the altimeter?

Gotta love those round engines. Great looking reconstruction.
Please forgive my ignorance but what's up with the clocking of the altimeter?

There is no kollsman window. It is set before takeoff by setting the altitude to the needle. It reads 5600 ft.

Awsome!

One of my all time favorite airplanes. Thanks for saving some great aviation history. When I was a kid hanging around the old airport in northern Illinois The old timers all raved about the monocoupe. There used to be a real early one hanging up in the terminal building in Moline.

Cm

My other plane is my family Christen Eagle II. Dad and I built it (well he did and held the tools) in the 80's. Had the honor of flying it at OSH on Monday of the airshow as a demo fly-by with 3 other eagles in 2017 for the 40th Anniversary of the Christen Eagle

44301422281_6e1f5b4e37_b.jpg

43395372605_327160f59e_b.jpg

Last edited:
My wife and I have discussed (and it was her that first brought it up!) trying to find a four way partnership or something on a four-seater, probably an RV-10 or a Velocity or something good for traveling, once my -7 is done. I don't think we'll ever have the means to own a second airplane outright unless it's super cheap.

My wife and I have discussed (and it was her that first brought it up!) trying to find a four way partnership or something on a four-seater, probably an RV-10 or a Velocity or something good for traveling, once my -7 is done. I don't think we'll ever have the means to own a second airplane outright unless it's super cheap.

When I lived in Charlotte, some of us were talking about building an RV-10 and sharing it.

We thought ten people would work out well. The one rule we would have is each member MUST own a two seat RV for it to work out. We did not want the -10 to become the primary plane for one member and thought everyone would rather fly their two seater before jumping in the Family Sedan.

Bellanca triple tail

I am too simple to post pics

Kind of like a 4 seat RV

220hp
CS prop
Retractable big tire gear
Tailwheel

Can?t see anything while flying
Yoke no stick

After flying I always worship the ease in which the RV?s fly

When I lived in Charlotte, some of us were talking about building an RV-10 and sharing it.

We thought ten people would work out well. The one rule we would have is each member MUST own a two seat RV for it to work out. We did not want the -10 to become the primary plane for one member and thought everyone would rather fly their two seater before jumping in the Family Sedan.

That is a good idea. With the split costs, it will probably be cheaper than a flying club, depending on how often you fly. The downside, family trips are almost always on the weekend. There would be a lot of scheduling conflicts I think.

Back