What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV/Rocket Gathering April 16th at 8A7 in Central NC

fixnflyguy

Well Known Member
We have a small group of RV's at 8A7 in central NC, and have talked about doing a fly-In here for a couple years. So, we have planned a gathering for this April 16th and will host a lunch and drinks for all those that can attend. We have fuel on field, paved 3000 feet, and plenty of parking. We live on the field, and also have fishing ponds and plenty of room to roam around if you want to spend the day. Could do a group fly-out to Pilot Mountain if any are interested. I look forward to feedback/replies, as we are doing this big or small!

Come on Vlad..antique RV's welcome

Vlad,
For the sheer entertainment value you bring , we may just advertise you as the main attraction! Im not sure the pool will be as warm as your last visit, but we will have Scotch on hand in the event you spend the night.

Vlad,
For the sheer entertainment value you bring , we may just advertise you as the main attraction! Im not sure the pool will be as warm as your last visit, but we will have [/B]Scotch on hand in the event you spend the night.

In that case, I'm bringing my tent!

Interesting

Vlad, Scotch, overnight? Sounds very interesting. Can I get my condition inspection done while I'm there?

Jim
RV4 N444JT (tentatively sold)
RV8 N37PK

Vlad, Scotch, overnight? Sounds very interesting. Can I get my condition inspection done while I'm there?

Jim
RV4 N444JT (tentatively sold)
RV8 N37PK

You won't regret Jim. Let's go. We need a rehearsal before your BD in May. :D

3 weeks and counting

We are 3 weeks away from our little RV/Rocket gathering at 8A7 on Saturday April 16th and hoping for a good turnout. With the weather warming, we have a couple fishing ponds on the field if anyone wants to bring a rod..and have a few to lend out. Also, anyone looking for a nice spring camp-out, we have 80 acres of private land to camp on the airport.

Drive in?

Since my RV is still in the garage, are drive ins welcome? I really would love to check out the area as a possible spot to get closer to my wife's family and closer to a runway.

Drive-ins, fly other things in...all welcome

Come by any means you want..lots of RV knowledge and stories to be shared! There are 2 RVs (-7 and -8A)under construction at 8A7 as well, and I believe there are some hangars available.

All Day Fun

Because this is an informal social fly-in, there is no "set time"..just come enjoy fellow pilots,owners, and builders. I will be serving hamburgers and hotdogs around noon, but the grill will be ready for any time needed. Fishing and camping spots available for anyone interested in more than just aviation activities. Weather looks good as of now, and hope for a fun filled day!

A friend wants to look at a Mooney at 2A5. If his schedule permits, we'll combine a trip on Saturday!

Weather looks good!

Weather is looking good for Saturday and we are hoping for a great turnout! The 8A7 RV gang is looking forward to meeting some fellow RVers, and the fish are biting in the ponds. As mentioned before, there is plenty of room to camp if interested. As a side note, my wife Sheryl and I got married in our -4 above 8A7 airport a year ago this Saturday..so it's sort of an anniversary Fly-in!

Regrets!

I go to 8A7 whenever I fly to visit my son and family in Winston Salem. This time, W/S is coming to me - visit from #1 son and grandkids inbound this weekend, so I will have to pass. Sorry to miss it!

-Stormy

We have a small group of RV's at 8A7 in central NC, and have talked about doing a fly-In here for a couple years. So, we have planned a gathering for this April 16th and will host a lunch and drinks for all those that can attend. We have fuel on field, paved 3000 feet, and plenty of parking. We live on the field, and also have fishing ponds and plenty of room to roam around if you want to spend the day. Could do a group fly-out to Pilot Mountain if any are interested. I look forward to feedback/replies, as we are doing this big or small!

Bill,
Thanks for your outstanding hospitality at today's FLY IN. Awesome lunch, airport, folks and lunch. Also, happy anniversary..cool unique way to get married. Thanks again.
Randy
RV 6

Bill, Another hearty thanks for a great event. Great company and great hospitality. You and your fellow hosts are welcome over at Gold Hill Airpark anytime you're in the need for a place to visit. My place is the red roofed cedar sided house on the north side of the runway (Fine St.).
Robert W. (Bill) Korff -- N174PB

Great Turnout!

Thanks to all who flew in today. We had great weather and a bunch of fantastic folks..May have to make this an annual event! Will post pictures later. I couldn't keep count, but we had over 30 RVs and 3 Rockets..now savoring some special delivery craft beer!

That was a great event! Thank Bill and Co. for organizing it! I picked up my "high-dollar recon pilot" somewhere inside the Circle of Doom.

We flew around a bit spotting targets then headed to Twin Lakes. Were treated royally.

Met old buddies, put faces to many VAF callsigns and made new friends.

Finally met two legends James and Ron. Learnt that a new episode is in production. How-to-pour-milk-and-enjoy-a-cookie-on-top-of-the-loop. :D

James please email me the next date of SC Breakfast Club.

We also visited the famous mountain. My copilot flew some fast hardware in very close but never through the split. So we corrected it. Then posed for some tourists on top I bet they flooded their personal media with images. :D

Many soaring eagles there.

Great time thanks!

Thanks Bill E and the rest of the Twin Lakes team! Well done.

Met old buddies, put faces to many VAF callsigns and made new friends.

Thats the best part..:)

Vlad, I used to live within walking distance of this lump of dirt. Idylic. Still not sure I should have moved away from that place :rolleyes:

Thanks Bill E and the rest of the Twin Lakes team! Well done.

Thats the best part..:)

Vlad, I used to live within walking distance of this lump of dirt. Idylic. Still not sure I should have moved away from that place :rolleyes:

Bill then you should know whose airstrip is down there. Right under the mountain. Not on the charts.

I finally met Vlad!

It's a 10 minute flight to Twin Lakes from my home at Gold Hill (NC25) and I was reluctant to make the trip until I heard that there was a chance that Vlad might show up at the event. :rolleyes:\

Well, I finally got to meet the little Ruskie and it made the grueling trip worthwhile. :D

Bill. thanks for making this happen. Lots of really nice people to meet and old friends to see again. Quite a nice lunch spread as well. Hope you make this an annual event. I'll be back.

Bill then you should know whose airstrip is down there. Right under the mountain. Not on the charts.

Jeez, I lived there 30 years ago and was not a pilot yet (in training up at Mt Airy). Sorry Vlad, you stumped me. I don't remember hearing about any off chart fields near Pilot Mt. while I was there. Could have been though.

Of course, I could have been saved from this question if a certain person would fly above 5K AGL. :D:D

Pilot Mtn strip

Vlad, I'm familiar with the little strip, but it's a we bit short for an RV. Was a guy with an ultralight there for a while, and it's doable in a Cub..pretty good slope to it also! I shot some approaches in my old T Craft before, but never landed there.

Vlad, I'm familiar with the little strip, but it's a we bit short for an RV. Was a guy with an ultralight there for a while, and it's doable in a Cub..pretty good slope to it also! I shot some approaches in my old T Craft before, but never landed there.

It looks groomed and marked with cones Bill. At least 1,000 feet plenty for RV9. Even better if sloped. Do you know the owner? Must be a magnificent view of Pilot Mountain from there. :D

Vlad,
I will pursue permissions from owner and advise. The Pilot Mtn.. had visits from C-17 today, so I may have to advise nationality of visitor..but probably just say it's celebrity pilot.

Bill,

Thank you for hosting such an enjoyable fly-in. The beer exchange was the icing on the cake!

DSCN5020.JPG

I can be a little long winded in my trip write-ups - for anyone interested in more pictures from the fly-in and my continued trip to the Outer Banks, check it out here:

http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1297

Nice pics Mike, you should probably wipe your plane down after flying up the beach you would be surprised how much salt you can pick up when the wind is howling out of the NE like it has been for the past week and a half which I'm sure made for a challenging approach and landing at KFFA . I've lived there for 25 yrs and I'm the lone RV guy at MQI. I always pop in to KFFA and see if any RVs around and you would be surprised at how many I see. note , I have a studio apt at my house if any RV people want to have an over night on the Outer Banks, my compliments. Just check with me prior as its rented during the season most weekends. Sorry I missed the the fly in looked like a great time.

It looks like a great time was had by all!

We had some guests drop in for the weekend and he just had back surgery so he couldn't get in or out of the plane.

Next year!

find it interesting Amazon is installing a large solar farm on the eastern shore of VA: https://communityenergysolar.com/project/amazon-solar/

I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Technically Amazon is not installing the solar project. Dominion power is with support from Amazon. Then, Amazon purchases power local to its data centers but using a PPA against the solar production of the new installation. its a bit like carbon credits.
FYI: Microsoft is partially finding a 20MW solar project on the Eastern Shore of VA.​

It was great to see you (and your time airplane) at 8A7. Hope to see you at other events this year!

Last edited:
Back