What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3rd & 4th Inboard Wing Rib - Hole miss-match?

steve murray

Well Known Member
Started assembling the Wing rear spar to the back of the wing ribs (1/8") rivets. On the 3rd and 4th rib from the inboard side. I am seeing a mis-match between the pre-punched holes in the ribs and the rear spar.

Note the two holes that have not been deburred, these holes are matched drilled from the doubler "W-1007B Rear Spar Doubler" on the rear spar.

6ZMZpxxdesZBScd8Ipgps6vZzWWiWidgzgJaMVOORQX-uTrz41N__XlQ092Iy0OetwNzbCHPiKBnKB0In1aVdOJw5rR7yTWJxid-P_QupLA4ciMPtKWkApGVjyUjDOF60VdaQ6ezGY4K07XRZxxRKlTfCuaRoDebzx3YCAzwXaJaVkohffYvFcoO2rz6Qt_eH5RLuNxH8bj4l0PHonBhrTlPi49HEDsaow_S84Te05It6D1ynPMFcfAt82oS3AUoAklECjXG8AEbx7TUGf7rxb-9sHqyg1z3XlxrvQ5OLFP2Q-7aWGiUNIkEYo-XasbO_OD3yiZsEObkAQV63QbeLc5WPeYmunujnCdXkM6hBrWkzIdRoznIkqSMTMCguRprlteGLCQdX2e1Fk8KOcRp9yezCfQQZn4F-spZ78hJuXVWipDeXicLDYqkwE4a4bFtuOgrdYvp26bSJsAwj9Pk3n5Xw-mMkNMwEM-QGGl0cUyj4xnzveumItpg6JKzcOzOYFawXnoE3DZHNZv9y2Iv5W_LrxoHvRKsVOhwjcfVS41Xd6i3dSQq8aH7Bq4hZJFsdHYR=w888-h1184-no

Same holes when view from the other side of the rear spar

wAzMLlTw2-PkGBy6IxfzUjOth3YLDgAgOEQCnfs6imTeSIxcY6wQgltLQPJFqXUY7SDMNscbtcG2qFuFJjJobBLfLAUFBjKdaro4TgwKUQe0bWGtHjB7FftK7Y_pkemG-ZutDnLfF9w7UV6Mfl9k9p5DXzMJq78XxZGaHw503oixPwquHXVD9DdIgwX_HQ4rzsDsrHoHmBuvHzfWcYmkSMwrHY8eQAztJuz2KrVphjJomZbdR_HtthbBpirJTG7QntAcnWtKul0Bv_eLNjKT3WYJgFx8kWDe4r4oUvdBwlcZecsSsCDJmUcCYKYoA1u3UejTKtc-fTXJItAnFKvgsiLiDlVq1NK7Cb5RAoPdFoUHsjakngSp5xW-_X9bRoviWhoPePSe684B3dnauAC2-1RoDdKnjN9jque5oQ92wuHwJA6Lvnt9HdU0vXqopQA5m-160DRpuP0IvLBQpIVhmxZ4rBXSyfQ2dTAnuVamYlQrRywFgEJ_-j3P9YcSFZjP5ZYE2Abg-MUiJDbZnruolziPYvoWyKnhmgxUIUfiy8Lk_NfHVX7yJrEDSGcdhpWcfJN0=w1525-h1144-no

Based on my experience.... I have goofed up somewhere and have the wrong ribs in this location....looking for confirmation from those who have already done this step.... have I goofed up??

No goof up

No goof up. Van's probably do it this way so they don't have to maintain a different part number for that rib. The spare holes don't matter, and by having you match drill to the rear spar / W-1007B, a generic rib is turned into the correct one for this location.

No goof up. Van's probably do it this way so they don't have to maintain a different part number for that rib. The spare holes don't matter, and by having you match drill to the rear spar / W-1007B, a generic rib is turned into the correct one for this location.

Adrian - I just noticed your location. My wife & oldest son are hiking the Overland track in about 1 week!! (not me... i have to work but do plan to make some good progress on my wings during her absence....)

Can you recommend a hotel in Hobart for overnight stay on their way to\from the hike?

Steve

Hi Steve, you didn't mention what model but the RV7 mentions this on PG 7-4
in the pre-view plans:
Drill the holes attaching the ribs to the spars to full size. Most of the ribs simply fit to the spar without modification.
However, two W-709 ribs just outboard of the tie down require two new rivet holes (one near the top, the other near
the bottom). Drill these, using the holes in the spar as guides. The two holes left unused in the rib are simply
abandoned. A similar situation applies to W-711-L & R in the wing walk, use the top & bottom holes at the rear spar
and drill new holes using the rear spar as a guide.

Hi Steve, you didn't mention what model but the RV7 mentions this on PG 7-4
in the pre-view plans:
Drill the holes attaching the ribs to the spars to full size. Most of the ribs simply fit to the spar without modification.
However, two W-709 ribs just outboard of the tie down require two new rivet holes (one near the top, the other near
the bottom). Drill these, using the holes in the spar as guides. The two holes left unused in the rib are simply
abandoned. A similar situation applies to W-711-L & R in the wing walk, use the top & bottom holes at the rear spar
and drill new holes using the rear spar as a guide.

Thanks Bob, this is on an RV10. This makes sense, but without the note in the plans, about the mismatch on the holes, I was a bit nervous.

Back