What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

blue/fuel stain on carb - normal?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
During my last oil change I noticed a bit of blue staining around the nut on the bottom of the carb (I'm not sure what it's called). I think it's probably been gradual enough that I just haven't noticed it before, and it doesn't seem to be much of a weep or leak, but what might cause it and what should I do, if anything, to address it?
Thanks.

20sh9bn.jpg

2wox6k4.jpg

I'm not a carb expert, but on my Marvel Schebler MA4-5 I have a similar looking copper crush/lock washer that is probably seeping.

Couple hundred hours ago I noticed this

Cleaned thoroughly and watched closely. Nothing since then.

clean it off first so you can keep track of the leak. put a wrench on the brass nut and see if it is a bit loose. check with your mechanic if this doent help. :)
att2197443.gif

clean it off first so you can keep track of the leak. put a wrench on the brass nut and see if it is a bit loose. check with your mechanic if this doent help. :)

It is probably not a good idea to try and tighten any nuts that are safetied with a bent tab safety washer...:rolleyes:

The correct fix would be to remove, replace the tabbed washer, retorque and rebend the tab.

This is just a guess... but could the blue stains be a side effect of combining dissimilar metals and aviation fuel?

No, its just blue dye getting thicker as fuel vaps off leaving the dye. Common. Also common are small seeps like this with copper gaskets. Turbo hit it already. Crunch that brass into that copper a microturn and snug the tab flush again. Spritz it clean with a little electronic cleaner and check later. Done.

We had the same issue.

We have a Marvel-Shebler ma-45

We observed the same blue stains that you have pictured where the fuel screen is installed. This is an item that we check at each condition inspection.

Part #: 07-01388 - Fuel Screen gasket.

Your carb looked a little different, but once you have verified the name brand and model of your carburetor, you can likely order the gasket from spruce.

Back