What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to fix this.

rwarre

Well Known Member
Looking for suggestion on how to fix this crack where the fiberglass meets the metal.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/ula4.jpg/

ula4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No answers yet huh? Everyone must be out. I think since it looks separated, I'd attack it with a dremel until you get into where its still bonded. Then scarf back a little. A little resin and flox then a couple three strips of glass up onto your scarf. Do that all at once, then after curing go to micro to finish. Make sure the aluminum underneath is roughed up good for adhesion.

To fix it, try picking up some very light fiberglass cloth from a hobby store and put multiple layers on, staggering the ends.

Best of luck!

Randy, where is the crack? Different fixes for different places. Do you want to smooth it out so you don't see the difference in heights? The bottom where it is torn will require different ways to fix - maybe a backer piece or angle? If it is decorative only, just cloth spanning the cracks may be ok. BUT, it tore once - better to fix it right. Holy cow, I just looked up Wray - that is as far east in CO that you can get!

Best of luck fixing. PM me if you want to talk offline.

I had a similar cracking problem on my slider where my fiberglass windscreen fairing started to crack on both sides. The location was where the side of the windscreen is layed up over the fuselage and starts to go to the front of the windscreen. Ater consulting with my paint shop, they suggested 2 layers of leight weight fiberglass. I would suggest a product light West Syatem 410 fairing filler to fill in the cracks. Sand to bare skin and lay 2 "L" shaped pieces of cloth over it. Then finish like you would normally do. My cracks have not come back and it is 2 years since the repair. Good luck.

Steve
RV9A
Catto 3 Blade
380 plus hours

Back