What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

color PIREP? Asheville, NC

jimpappas

Well Known Member
Anybody have a PIREP on how the colors are around Asheville or Western NC?

I'm hearing peak color "normally" next week?

Thanks

I was looking at the mountains while walking the dog this morning and I would probably wait another week.

(We live just outside of Greenville, call it a 10 minute flight to AVL.)

peak color

I'm thinking of coming for a day trip between the 10th and the 18th?

Please let me know when it gets a little closer what looks better?

I am flexible so if it's later I can delay too.

Thanks

Jim,
The sourwoods are starting to turn red but thats all so far, no yellows at all yet. Like Mark said, 3rd week October. My gut feel says its a week late this year but intuition could be wrong.

Its kinda' wierd this year. With all the excessive rain we had, there are a LOT of leaves falling early that are spotted from mold/mildew damage.

***EDIT*** My wife mentioned at dinner tonight that the local news reported the high peaks (above 5K) were changing now.
We live at 2500 ft and I have not flown recently to see the tops :eek:. Anyway, I think that reinforces week 3 in October. **********

Last edited:
I'm thinking of coming for a day trip between the 10th and the 18th?

Please let me know when it gets a little closer what looks better?

I am flexible so if it's later I can delay too.

Thanks

Dang Jim...too bad you didn't bring up the subject while we were on the phone the other day. We had to unexpectedly return to CA and had to cancel our reservation at the Pisgah Inn for next weekend. The Inn sits at the 5000 ft level on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here is a link to the Inn: pisgahinn.com

Regards,

I thought Pisgah Inn was the one the NPS shut down since they are a NPS concession and the federal goverment is shut down?

Y'all come on. You know you want to fly anyway.

You too, Bill :D

Colors were good up high on Mitchell last weekend so they should be spreading across more peaks now. Still unchanged down low. The weather looks stellar this weekend.

PISGAH INN IS OPEN as of most recent news report. It closed temporarily a few days ago but cooler heads appear to have prevailed.

I'll make a prediction that this is the first of probably 3-4 weekends for leaf looking.

My EAA Chapter is flying young eagles tomorrow so please keep your eyes peeled if you are near 0A7 Hendersonville before and around lunchtime.

I thought Pisgah Inn was the one the NPS shut down since they are a NPS concession and the federal goverment is shut down?

Just got back from Asheville, Hendersonville and Boone last Wed.

The Inn made the local newspapers because the proprietor said he was going to defy the govt. after they told him to shut down and evict the guests.

We only saw a few trees that turned, but the temp dropped after the Mon rain and that seemed to set more into motion...:)

i am planning on heading south with kim via KGEV[west jefferson] area on monday then on to ashville tuesday for a few days. we will be hoping for any color we can get. vermont and Massachusetts was incredible this week. florida is a calling and its time to leave the north. this trip will be in the heli. the rv has been resting at home for a couple of weeks now. good by connecticut, hello florida. :)
P1000786.jpg

Pics from Sat the 12th

As said earlier, I was at a young eagles event. It went well.
Afterwards, Diane and I went to Pickens (LQK) for gas and then flew past Pisgah for a look on the way home.

Colors are still muted. Not sure if you will see the best Turbo. I think that will be over a week from now.

Here are some snapshots of some dome rocks south of Pisgah. You can see things are starting to change. Mostly overcast at 5K so the shadows mute things even more today. I'm guessing these are at around 3500-4000 feet.

It was bumpy as heck. The camera image stabilization did a great job on the photos we did get.

18825189815259b1c3b5ca5.jpg

18064283055259b1c3b83bc.jpg

15442776795259b1c3baad2.jpg

Flew around here on this side of the hill this morning, Gatlinburg, Newport, Morristown area and the colors are just starting to come in. It will be a couple more weeks till they peak here.

I had a nice flight yesterday near the Brushy Mtns, KUKF, and Stone Mtn, but there wasn't much to see in terms of color.

At least 2 weeks for Murphy area.

Peak color two weeks from now? I hope so - I'm planning a hop up to Andrews on the 26th. Going to pick up my brother in Chattanooga and take him on his first $100 hamburger experience. I hear the Burger Basket in Andrews is pretty good, and after driving by the airport lots of times on 74, I've always wanted to find an excuse to drop in there.

:)

Pirep

Looks like next week we might try again?

Thanks for all the PIREPS, it is beautiful up there and can't wait to see the colors.

We are getting up in west Jefferson. The flight from ct had spotty good color. Ower host said the high amounts of rain in the area is hurting the colors. After the fog lifts we will be headed to Henderson for a few days. Come on sun shine. :(

Hey Turbo, Cheryll and I landed Monday afternoon in west Jefferson. Plan on doing the blue ridge parkway today and back to stuart on Friday. Have fun
Phelps

What a coiincidence. Was on the ramp tuesday and saw your rv. It looked so familiar but the race number on the tail thru me off. What a great time here in the mountains. I am planning on heading south on Friday also. Rv is lookn great.

Update from Sunday Oct 20

Diane and I woke to a beautiful CAVU Sunday morning.
We decided to go to the Runway Cafe at GMU for lunch.
The Collings Foundation was there. Big croud of families with kids eating lunch and looking at the planes which does my heart good.

I set up a gratuituos pic of my RV with the 'stang.

Afterwards, we went for another leaf flight. Diane took a pic of the same rock I posted earlier so you can see the 1 week change. Still red, gold, brown. Yellows have not popped yet.

23173646952644fdfd315d.jpg

The mustang is on the left.......

130780040952644fdfd0a55.jpg

Went flying over eastern Ky today. Nothing spectacular as far as colors. Nice restaurant at old K22, now KSJS...Cloud 9. Great flying weather.

Came home frm Stanly Conty KVUJ to Dahlonega, GA over Ashville. Colors on the higher peaks were pretty good. Brasstown Bald, highest point in GA. is just starting to turn. Lowere elevations just starting to turn yellow.

I'd say another week around the area for really bright colors. But it was 38 here at my house this morning and that's going to get it going quicker.

We finally got a frost a few days ago. I have not flown since then but I did notice the color changing down at low altitude (where I was driving) was starting to show yellows.

This coming weekend and the following should be the trick. Sat and Sun weather is supposed to be good too.

Just watch out for the EAA B-17 we're hosting at KAVL this weekend. :)

We finally got a frost a few days ago. I have not flown since then but I did notice the color changing down at low altitude (where I was driving) was starting to show yellows.

This coming weekend and the following should be the trick. Sat and Sun weather is supposed to be good too.

Just watch out for the EAA B-17 we're hosting at KAVL this weekend. :)

Same thing I saw from the air around Andrews this past Saturday. Still lots of green, with just a bit of yellow mixed in. Still had a fun flight even without the colors though.

Here are some of the photos my brother took on the flight:
65601_10201622580220179_1918615566_n.jpg

1380781_10201622581900221_372630986_n.jpg

1380152_10201622581940222_2076786693_n.jpg

1378632_10201622582900246_202493747_n.jpg

484735_10201622586220329_2062736179_n.jpg

1377316_10201622598620639_368095335_n.jpg

Yes, good white water rafting there in the 90's when we lived in Norcross and Winder GA. My wife lost her wedding ring set in the cold water, so let us know if you see it glistening.

Back