What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8's over Kyle Field Today

jgoehl

At the Texas A&M and Auburn football game today we have the Freedom Flyers RV8 from Conroe, Texas for today's fly over.

hw0fb8.jpg
[/IMG]

Excellent Fly-Over

I wondered

I saw you guys land, taxing, and park at Easterwood today. I wondered why they had you over in the main terminal parking (and why landing right after the game was scheduled to start). Hope it went well.

Flyover

That's awesome. RV's filling in for the military flyovers at high profile sporting events. What's next? Super Bowl?

Call Easterwood?

Louise, I was a member of that flyby. Are you saying we need to call Easterwood? Btw...the time over the stadium was at the end of the National Anthem, which was 11 minutes before kickoff, actually 1435 local. We landed within 5 minutes after that, so yes, we were on the ground before the game started.

No problem now

The one plane was left on a runway overnight and Easterwood wanted to open that runway up but didn't have the pilot's contact info. As the de facto RV driver on CLL, the ramp guys asked me to help find the pilot. I found his phone number on VAF! Sorry for any heart failures that my post may have caused!:eek:

(For clarification to other readers, Easterwood closed two runways yesterday to accommodate all the jets and planes that flew in for the game.)

Last edited:
Freedom Flight

Thanks for all the nice comments. We all felt very privileged to be invited to do the flyby. It was a rare honor and we were really happy to participate. FYI...We were right over Kyle on the last note of the anthem. Timing was about as close as you could ever get it. It wasn't 49 RV's but it was sure fun for us. Kudos to those who participated in that monumental flyby. AMAZING!!!!!

1 hour prior to 1 hour after event end

Louise, I was a member of that flyby. Are you saying we need to call Easterwood? Btw...the time over the stadium was at the end of the National Anthem, which was 11 minutes before kickoff, actually 1435 local. We landed within 5 minutes after that, so yes, we were on the ground before the game started.

The FAA held a safety briefing a few months ago, adjacent to KLVJ, and clearly stated these "Stadium TFRs" are effective from 1 hour prior to the start of the event and remain until 1 hour after event end.

IMHO it is unacceptable that Air Traffic Controllers, controlling a volume of airspace, may not have full control over, or be aware of TFRs in their airspace. During this briefing we were told that a tower controller directing you, while flying VFR, to enter their CLASS D and traffic pattern was not necessarily clearance to enter/transit a TFR within their CLASS D. During VFR Flight Following in Houston CLASS B I have inquired about an active "Stadium TFR" and the controller then had to check with someone, before his reply, that Yes Indeed, There is a current Stadium TFR.

Carl

CLL controllers knew what was going on with the TFR

The ATIS announced the TRF restriction and everyone working at the field seemed to know about the Conroe bunch, so I don't want anyone to think they made a cowboy pass. I have no reason to think that was the case. The original post says that they were invited.

I did find it interesting that the airport remained open and we were allowed to fly in and out (I was doing practice for an upcoming Commercial practical test) during the game but had to fly directly to west of the Brazos River then directly back in from the west with a full stop landing. (Kyle Field is about 2 miles to the east.) I was up in the tower about an hour before the game and they encouraged me to go fly despite heavy traffic still arriving. "We'll work you in." As always, the Easterwood controllers were doing a very nice and calm job on a busy day.

stadium TFR

I guess the airport is just out of the TFR. I flew out of CLL with 5:00 left in the game. I called just before I left for a briefing and specifically asked for any TFRs and was told there were none in effect. I asked because of a number of black suburbans and "men in black" with earphones on walking around the GA terminal. Did not ask about a stadium TFR specifically.

Texas A&M flyover

Sounds like a little miscommunication. I lead Freedom Flight in a pre-arranged flyover at the Texas A&M vs AUburn game on the 19th. All the boxes were checked and no issues with the TFR. We started planning this over a month ago. We had a blast and I've attached a link to a YouTube video that tells the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAiuczC09K8&feature=player_detailpage

I have no idea how to get this to the front page but would appreciate it if someone could help.

:D

Back