What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another landing on a frozen lake in Norway

ao.frog

Well Known Member
A couple of days ago, the weather was great so the wifey and me decided it was time to take this winter-seasons first trip to "Vermundsjøen"; a lake 45 mins away.
This lake is our no 1 preference for winterlandings: beautiful scenery, long rwy, plenty of parking space, and a nice cafe at the shore.

The lake is situated "in the middle of nowhere", deep into the forest, close to the Swedish border: only approx 2 mins of flying away.

Here we are entering left hand downwind:

BTW: the "orange spot" in the parking area is a RV-8 from a nearby airfield

Here we are on left base:

And on final:

The RWY is 1000 x 30 meter so it's plenty big for a RV.
The OAT was -15*C, so there was plenty of breaking action too.

The dark blue spots on the RWY is NOT standing water (too cold for that) but frozen water: about a week ago, the weather up there had temps above freezing, so there where alittle rain and slush coming down from above.
When the temps dropped again, that water froze.

As usual, we tucked in the IO-360 before leaving the RV:

Then we left the -7 alone and went to dinner:

Notice how close to the horizon the sun is. The local time is around 1300 and at this time of year, the daylight hours are quite few....

Here's the cafe:

Pretty cool building and sign; eh?

The interiour is very nice too:

And here's the menu:

It's written in Norwegain ofcourse and the prices are in NOK, but this is just to give you an idea of the large selection you'll find here, "in the middle of no-where"....

The selections are mostly from the wild: steaks made from moose, deer, trout, pike etc and you'll also find pork, bacon, sausages, etc etc

Soon, the dinner was served:

Our favorite is "nævagraut". A kind of stew who is made like they did up here in the old days: with flower, spices, fried thick bacon, a tasty thick gravy and red whortleberry jam

(continued)

Last edited:
part 2

After dinner, it was time for a dessert and a nice cup of coffee:

The dinner came with a view:

[/URL

You can spot "Wilco" to the right of the tree.

When the sun was approaching the horizon, the OAT was dropping (-18*C at t/o), so it was time to fire up the 360 and fly home:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/p1040737ws.jpg/]

After a 45 min return flight, we landed at our home airfield about 30 mins after sunset.

This is exactly why we built the RV: to be able to fly around to different places which is too far away by car. To have nice trips and meet new people.
The bonus with the -7 is that I can take it up the next day for aerobatics and formation-flying with my x-colleagues from the airforce, and that is a BIG pluss for this "multi-mission aluminum wonder" in my book! THANK YOU VANS!!!

BTW; if any of you want to have a look at Vermundsjøen on Google Earth, here's the position:

Posisjon N 60.42.4 E 012.22.5
Altitude: 700' MSL

PS: on the 10th of Mars, the annual Fly Inn is planned at Vermundsjøen.
It's a Fly Inn and Sunday Mass at once. Alot of people are normally flying inn, and even the priest comes flying in with his plane!
Stand by for another trip write-up in a few weeks....

Last edited:
Such a great post!!

Beautiful pictures and the chance to learn a little bit about Norway!

"Thick-cut Bacon" Yum. Do we have anything in the States like whortleberry?

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the great photos and write up. I will say that 150,- seems a little steep for Elgkarbonater m. gronnsaker. I saw it at Sams for half that.

X-Country

My all time favorite x-country flight was over your beautiful country 37 years ago. Flew low level over the fiords then south thru central Norway. VAF member, Terry Lutz, was the flight lead. Oh the memories!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Last edited:
Back