What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N1966S Flies!

Walt Shipley

On Saturday morning at 11:00, I took off from our 3,000' strip here at Hensley Airpark in NE TN in my RV-12. She flew like an RV, which is saying a lot. No problems except for a slightly heavy right wing.

Now I'm officially a 3peater, having built and flown an RV8 and an 8A.

Walt Shipley
Chuckey, TN

Regarding the heavy wing, I think it is because it so difficult to adjust the rod end bearings accurately that the aileron pivots on. Squeezing the trailing edge of the light wing might do it, if not extend the bearings out 1/2 to 1 turn. Congrats and Merry Christmas! BTW, are you a hillbilly? And it is politically correct for me to ask, for if he is, he will be proud to say! My Family is from the Johnson Co./Ashe Co. line.

Since the first flight I've tried to address the heavy right wing problem by laying a straight edge across the top wing skin and flaperon, then adjusting the rod end bearing to get the same clearance as the left flaperon.

Yep, I'm a hillbilly. Born and raised in NE TN, although I moved away and lived outside the area for most of my adult life, then retired in the same general area 20 years ago. Hensley Airpark is where I live, and it's maybe 40 airmiles from the Johnson Country airport.

I will be happy to send a photo of my 12 if someone will tell me how to do it - I'm seriously challenged when it comes to computers.

I will also ask Van's what number I am in RV12 completions.

Walt

Back