What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Bendix Hall effect RPM

crabandy

Well Known Member
Just wondering if the RPM sensor for the G3X system will work with the single "dual" bendix mag?
Thanks,
Andy

Just wondering if the RPM sensor for the G3X system will work with the single "dual" bendix mag?
Thanks,
Andy

Hello Andy,

Garmin offers hall effect RPM sensors for both Slick (494-50005-00) and Bendix (494-50005-01) magnetos. These are both listed in the G3X Installation Manual.

The sensor for the Bendix mag uses a 9/16"-24 thread if that helps to check that this sensor fits your Bendix.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Bendix D4LN-2021

I went over the install manual on the sensors, I'm sure the sensor would fit but not sure if it's compatible with my "dual" mag. Pic is top of my "dual" mag, top bleed port is just to the right of the red data tag.
1DA48246-C16D-4D70-BE34-1457905C95FA-6780-0000042DD4E9A4A1.jpg

I need to do some more research as to which side is the impulse, or if both are impulse mags. My mag has 4 bleed ports, 1 each in the middle of top and bottom and one in the middle of each side. Which port would I use?

Thanks,
Andy

I went over the install manual on the sensors, I'm sure the sensor would fit but not sure if it's compatible with my "dual" mag. Pic is top of my "dual" mag, top bleed port is just to the right of the red data tag.

I need to do some more research as to which side is the impulse, or if both are impulse mags. My mag has 4 bleed ports, 1 each in the middle of top and bottom and one in the middle of each side. Which port would I use?

Thanks,
Andy

Hello Andy,

You nearly "stumped the chumps" on this one, but one of our "wrench turners" here has seen the inside of one of these mags and believes that the top port shown in your picture provides access to the rotating magnets on the main shaft.

We believe that you should be able to install your hall effect sensor in that port.

Thanks,
Steve

Impulse Coupling

Hi Andy,

Since the "dual mag" is really two magnetos sharing a common shaft, an impulse coupling installed on that shaft would accelerate the rotation of the shaft and retard the spark for "both" magnetos simultaneously. Hope this is helpful!

Dual Mag RPM

I had much better luck using a UMA RPM Transducer connected to the
Mechanical Tach output shaft.
We have an O32H2AD engine

G3x bendix Hall effect

Unfortunately I don't think the Hall effect rpm will work with the bendix single dual mag unless I " machine " the mag case or sensor with a file.
4B1DD25D-D34A-4384-B357-6603C222713D-13087-00000882470EB3BC.jpg

Doesn't the D-3000 also have plugs on the sides of the housing? Those would be closer to the rotating bits.

It does have ports on the side as well, but G3Xpert thought the middle port should work. I believe the side ports just expose the plastic gears. I wish I had a manual/parts diagram.

The D3000 has one magnet centrally located, the center vent hole is the correct one to use.

Unfortunately I don't think the Hall effect rpm will work with the bendix single dual mag unless I " machine " the mag case or sensor with a file.

Hi Andy,

Since you are local, if you can bring the sensor (and ideally also the magneto) over to my house, I can try putting it on the lathe and turning it down a bit. Drop me an email.

mcb

Thanks for the six-pack Andy! But now I want a compound slide for my lathe so I can cut a nicer taper on the next one. :)

mcb

Back