What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up canopy gas strut nuts: how??

Buggsy2

Well Known Member
RV-9A, but this should also apply to the RV-7 series. How can I get the nuts onto the aft gas strut flush screws?

rv9.PNG

As the plans show, these two washers/nuts are inside the aft canopy deck; I can't even get them on with my fingers, let alone tightened with a wrench. What did you guys do?

I did similar to Bill.

IMG_3969-M.jpg

You will need to get one size longer screws than the plans call out.

If you don't have nutplates handy...

Here's a little trick that made this very easy for me, after frustrating myself for a while first. This is so simple. I ended up putting a sticky substance on the tip of my finger. I actually used a dab of honey out of the honey jar in the kitchen. I figured it's a harmless substance, and you get to lick your fingers when you're done! The washer stays stuck to your fingertip long enough to reach under and around the bottom flange and slip it on the screw. For the nut, I held it sort of between two fingers and managed to get it in place and turn the screw to get it on. You can also see my little 5/16" open-end wrench that I was able to slip underneath to hold the nut while I tightened the screw from the outside. Once I had this method figured out, I was able to get them on without too much difficulty.

P1030418%20(Small).JPG

Here's the finished installation...

P1030419%20(Small).JPG

I use a little dab of axle grease. Works well and no issues at all with corrosion potential.

Another option without using nutplates

My solution was similar to Bruce (Hill) and Bill, except no nutplates required. I cut a piece of AL that was thick enough to drill and tap, then located holes, drilled and tapped for the screws. Installed screws with Loctite.

Regards,

Back