What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homebuilders at Oshkosh

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I did get confirmed today that the 12-1 hour on EAA Radio during Oshkosh will be homebuilder specific. I'm hosting the show. As such, I'm always looking for people who fit the bill. Ideally, I'm looking for people/stories that aren't already getting attention. Maybe it's the guy who took 20 years to build a plane. Or the person who's a test pilot. Or the person who does something really interesting for a living and builds the plane on the side.

Anyway, this is one of the "put up or shut up" moments for those of us who want more homebuild/experiment chatter during the week.

VAF Make a Wish

Bob,

How about a short story over the airwaves about the VAF Make a Wish mission to get Alex and his Dad to OSH? I think it's a great example of the goodwill (and power) of the homebuilder community. It also would be a really cool experience for them.

Mike

great idea

I think that is a great story - VAF members and some venders help a dream come true. I would listen!

How about a story about a guy in MN who wanted to give up on his project a few times (ok, a bunch of times) yet perservered, stuck to it, and recently completed his plane - even with the tough stuff life kept throwing his way!?!? ;)

Cheers,
Stein

Bob, what do you mean you're not coming to Oshkosh?!? You have to come! It won't be the same without you!

(Oh wait, never mind. Glad you're coming!)

(All in fun ;)

Don't forget the girls... :)

The best tool for any airplane builder is a supportive wife. One who keeps you motivated, supports you blowing cash, and encourages you to press on when you are losing motivation.

• They'd make a good interview.
The second best tool for any airplane builder is no wife!

• But you can't interview a wife that doesn't exist.
The absolute worst tool for an airplane builder is an unsupportive wife. :D
  • But you won't find an unsupportive wife within 200 miles of Oshkosh in late July.

How about a story about a guy in MN who wanted to give up on his project a few times (ok, a bunch of times) yet perservered, stuck to it, and recently completed his plane - even with the tough stuff life kept throwing his way!?!? ;)

++10000

Bob--you gotta somehow do your own story. Actually I get a little tired of hearing about the ex-military, former astronaut, PhD mechanical engineer who built his sixth RV and has a full dedicated workshop on the airport next to his mansion. In other words I really like hearing about Joe Average who isn't some wealthy stud but nevertheless is building his plane. I can relate to Joe Average and I can relate some to your story...what very little I've heard.

How about......

Innovative and creative ways pilots are finding to build and/or fly during these hard economic times.

Bob, what do you mean you're not coming to Oshkosh?!? You have to come! It won't be the same without you!

(Oh wait, never mind. Glad you're coming!)

(All in fun ;)

Funny you should say. I was thinking of doing a produced piece with you and your colleagues, the work you put into your Oshkosh time, a day in the life, the laughter. The tears..

Bob,

At last count, I will have 17 high school age Eagle's Nest RV-12 builders with me. Seven of them are active duty Army, but full time students also. 10 are "normal" students. We will be there through Thursday (the military guys may pull out Wednesday.) I think they are pretty special, but then again... I can pass on my cell number if you are interested.

Bob

How about Professor of Geology in Madison or Racing Bothers

Alan Carroll - would be an good interview. Super smart, very good speaker, straight shooter, RV-8 builder, racer.

Bruce and Steve Hammer - Bruce flies big fast helicopters to off shore oil platforms and Steve flies jet airliners. These guys are great and they fit the model of brothers that good stories are written about. They fly the fastest Glasair I TDs anywhere - over 260 mph.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

At last count, I will have 17 high school age Eagle's Nest RV-12 builders with me. Seven of them are active duty Army, but full time students also. 10 are "normal" students. We will be there through Thursday (the military guys may pull out Wednesday.) I think they are pretty special, but then again... I can pass on my cell number if you are interested.

Bob

Hi, Bob. Can you drop me an email ([email protected]) and give me contact info and we'll set it up. You and your best 3, I'd guess. The segments are about 15 minutes long.

Foreign Flyers

Foreign (to us) builders?:)

Good idea! What about a "who flew the farthest to be here" type of interview. Preferably someone who has flown over the pond to attend. Or, the trials and tribulations of building/flying homebuilts in Europe. Perhaps it will make us feel more priviledged here in the USA, and help encourage everyone to protect those priviledges. Also, it would be interesting for those of us considering crossing the pond to know what it's like to fly in Europe. (Is avgas really that much!? :eek:).

You may want to talk to somebody like Geoff Combs of Aerosport Products. He just brought to market new carbon fiber instrument panels for the RV-7 / RV -9 .

What would be interesting is hearing about the design process for developing the panel. What were the issues? What were the stereotypical problems that he had to ensure the panel installation could solve? What are the typical problems/issues builders experience when designing their own panels?

Good idea! What about a "who flew the farthest to be here" type of interview. Preferably someone who has flown over the pond to attend. Or, the trials and tribulations of building/flying homebuilts in Europe. Perhaps it will make us feel more priviledged here in the USA, and help encourage everyone to protect those priviledges. Also, it would be interesting for those of us considering crossing the pond to know what it's like to fly in Europe. (Is avgas really that much!? :eek:).

those are always interesting. I did one with the people from Brazil who flew RVs in in 2010. Pretty interesting stuff.

Although my favorite is still Mike Regan's wedding.

Hometown

Bob
Flying into KOSH is a real homecoming for me.
I grew up in Oshkosh before the show came to town, learning to fly from Bill Brenand (who flew races with Witman)

I left for grad school without ever attending the show.
Now I am flying in my own RV .....

Is that the kind of thing you are interested in?

Jim Frisbie
N571DF

Cool! It was fun listening to the interview again. Fortunately I did not get into any trouble with her sisters. Unfortunately this year Karen cannot take the time off from work so we will be apart for our second anniversary. I'll be sharing the bridal suite in the N40 with a buddy....he will have his own air mattress and no hanky panky allowed!

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a good story but like others I believe yours is definitely one that needs to be told. You are the poster child of perseverance.

Profound Determination Dept?

May be a worthwhile story here: Builder-pilot George Richards will be flying into Oshkosh in his beautiful canary yellow Falco, but there?s a bit more to it than that. He disassembled the plane at his home base in New Zealand, crated and shipped it here, and has just finished reassembling it in our EAA Chapter 92 hangar at Chino Airport (KCNO). After Airventure he will reverse the process for the return trip to NZ.

I need to pursue this but I don't have any guests. I need you all to talk to your SPOUSES and see if they'd be willing to be on a roundtable on what the homebuilders don't tell you when they say "I'm going to build an airplane," and the work that they put in to keep things balanced.

C'mon people!

The best tool for any airplane builder is a supportive wife. One who keeps you motivated, supports you blowing cash, and encourages you to press on when you are losing motivation.
  • They'd make a good interview.
The second best tool for any airplane builder is no wife!
  • But you can't interview a wife that doesn't exist.
The absolute worst tool for an airplane builder is an unsupportive wife. :D
  • But you won't find an unsupportive wife within 200 miles of Oshkosh in late July.

If only I could

I need to pursue this but I don't have any guests. I need you all to talk to your SPOUSES and see if they'd be willing to be on a roundtable on what the homebuilders don't tell you when they say "I'm going to build an airplane," and the work that they put in to keep things balanced.

C'mon people!

I would rejoin the EAA to make it possible. The first seven years or so were in our garage (well my half) and this was not some little whimsical BS idea of a child husband and little girl wife playing house situation. We knew exactly what we wanted to do and we worked through the process to make it happen. When her charity sorority meetings were at our house she would always take the girls out to show them the progress we had made since the last time. When we completed it we made all the trips and flew the races just like we planned - God it was wonderful.

Bob Axsom

I would rejoin the EAA to make it possible. The first seven years or so were in our garage (well my half) and this was not some little whimsical BS idea of a child husband and little girl wife playing house situation. We knew exactly what we wanted to do and we worked through the process to make it happen. When her charity sorority meetings were at our house she would always take the girls out to show them the progress we had made since the last time. When we completed it we made all the trips and flew the races just like we planned - God it was wonderful.

Bob Axsom

That is truly uncommon, Bob. You are a lucky man to have had that kind of partner. I sincerely hope my wife comes to enjoy flying as much as that.

Oshkosh EAA Radio homebuilder show schedule (so far)

Here's my current lineup. Need more ideas, people!

MONDAY

12pm: Synergy Aircraft
12:15 Homebuilders grant a wish (Mike Rettig and the Cuellars)
12:30
12:45

TUESDAY
12 Dream, Build, Fly (Caleb Ihbrig & Brady Lane)
12:15 Eagle's Nest program (Bob Kelly and 2 students)
12:30 Building grand champion homebuilts (Rick Gray)
12:45 The RV-1 (Paul Dye)

WEDNESDAY
12 The homebuilder community and EAA (Chad Jensen)
12:15 The Kiwi Falcon to Oshkosh dream (George Richards)
12:30 The Delta Dyke (Alan White)

THURSDAY
12 Father/son aviation (Scott and Casey Stewart)
12:15

FRIDAY
12 iPad flying

SATURDAY

SUNDAY
12 p.m.

====

Also coming on but not yet scheduled is Lane Wallace, and Lauren Paine Jr., two well-known aviation columnists. And I'm scheduling Frank Johnson from Performance Propellers.

This year, if you can't make it, you'll be able to text in questions or comments during the show, and, of course, listen online.

Last edited:
Bob,

My wife happened to read this post and mentioned that she'd like to participate in your roundtable. If you're still working this topic I'll PM you her contact info. We'll be at Oshkosh Tues-Fri.

Dave Setser

Bob
An idea would be an interview with a couple that flies and lives airplanes. And their tales.
So my plug is for Louise and Paul.
Thanks,
Bill Johnson
PUD 2012

How about interviewing the PAO and Cadet Commander from the CAP Blue Berets. Everyone sees the CAP cadets working at Airventure but I'll bet very few know about the program they are participating in, how they are selected, and where they come from.

Bob
An idea would be an interview with a couple that flies and lives airplanes. And their tales.
So my plug is for Louise and Paul.
Thanks,
Bill Johnson
PUD 2012

Paul's already scheduled on the show and I've just scheduled Jack Beck and Marmy Clason (you may recall their great story), who not only built together but are now flying the country and visiting the national parks, which was Marmy's dream when building. Wonderful people.

How about you get SpruceMoose off his scooter to talk about how they park airplanes?! I'd bet Jeff might have a few good stories we'd all like to hear.

Back