What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conditional inspection - week 4

Cadstat

Well Known Member
The conditional inspection turned up many issues.
400 for the A&P inspection plus repairs + prop seal totaled 1055.00
I pulled the tanks for the gas leaks and prosealed the senders.
The ELT was shot so I ordered a new one that arrived two days ago. 179.00
The transponder had a bulb burned out and with the 2 year certification 265.00
Broken air box top aluminum plate and rivets 35.00

They ran the engine without the spinner and centrifucal force bent the extended flanges out so more down time waiting for a new spinner backer plate.
And the hanger went to 9 below zero one night so slow going.
I went EXP because the GA A/C was so expensive. So much for that plan!

I went EXP because the GA A/C was so expensive. So much for that plan!

It's hard for me to imagine that you consider $1,500 expensive for a condition inspection after having owned a C210. That's just $1.50 in airplane dollars and really seems pretty reasonable.

I just can't figure out how the spinner back plate got bent. My engine has been run to pretty high RPMs a couple of times that way with no problems.

Maintaining an airplane costs $$, no way around that. I just got done with a condition inspection on an 8 and with parts and repairs it was around $2800... the owner was tickled pink with the bill and said that even with all the repairs I did it it was still the cheapest annual he ever had and cost him about 1/10th what the annuals normally cost him on his certified birds :D

Non repeating items

Next year should be much cheaper as these items could be considered to be getting your plane in shape. Next year should be cheaper. Especially if you take care of all mx yourself.

I went experimental for the fun of it. Today I finished Aurora's first "Condition Inspection". The two of us only managed to log 91hrs in the first year, but we had fun getting to know each other. The condition inspection was a first for me, I took my time(1 week) going over everything with a fine tooth comb and even had a A&P friend help me do my first compression check and look over the firewall forward stuff. Squawks were 1 loose exhaust hanger, 3 loose baffle screws and both gearleg fairings were had cracked at the upper clamps. Total cost <$5 worth of fiberglass stuff. Also I installed a little AL tape to block 1/3 of the oil cooler. All fixed up and still daylight out SO might as well celebrate the occasion with a
Sunset Flight
IMG_20111207_162439.jpg

then tuck her away until our next rendezvous....tomorrow's looking promising
IMG_20111207_164118.jpg

Life is good and experimentals are fun:D

Back