What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll on the Grass

Vlad

Well Known Member
Tony and I make right decisions super fast and often invade on a very short notice. :) Our territory is pretty much exhausted and we are conquering close neighbors. It's not exactly RV Occupation but rather Expansion of boundaries.

Weather so so where do we go? Virginia? Da. Tomorrow Monday we are both off. You pick me up in the air, frequency 123.45. Good.

Our ports are 20 minutes apart. APRS is our primary tracking device I am 5 miles inbound to Tony's place. See his yellow bird taking off and intercepting me. Regular business.

Target was 53VG a newly commissioned grass strip. The drome belongs to a VAF member, avid flyer and very energetic gentleman Glen Salmon. During my recent trip to the Bahamas I did reconnaissance of the field and already knew what to expect. We decided to give it couple tries then if in doubt we go to a concreted WWII airport only couple miles away.

We crossed the pond, did some loose formation flying, watched big guys practice at Dover and totally enjoyed the flight. In an hour and a change Glen's hangar was in sight. With so so visibility it can be seen from 10 miles if vis is excellent I probably could see him from Princeton just need to get high enough. :D

Tony tried first I was circling. He made it easy and had to explain how. Fully panted nosey RV7 on grass???? :D Then my bomber came slowly the same way. Jump jump shim shim stopped in the middle of 1900' non event the field is in great shape. Glen sent us some useful tips and tricks for his strip before I hope he repost them here.

Here we are in the mountains of Virginia :D We are at the highest elevation of 41 feet.

glen3.jpg

Last edited:
Tony brought his co-pilot Brutus and Glen's pug Zen totally enjoyed the company. They had a place to play the size of Central Park.

glen11.jpg

Glen4.jpg

Inside the hangar lives RV8, a pretty slim girl with good power and wood prop. Beauty. There will be Beast there soon :D

glen5.jpg

viewfromthehangar.jpg

Glen's hangar-home is impressive I hope he will tell about it. He designed everything himself. 22nd century heating system, trusses and gates could go straight to Guggenheim or Sothebys they are all masterpieces. Pictures didn't do justice and I didn't make a lot. I didn't want to look like a spy from a famous movie :D

He also has this. Restored himself. Stunning.

hangarclocks.jpg

hangarclocks1.jpg

Then we surveyed the strip. Walked all length and I counted all weeds. One hand was enough for that. :D

Taxiway Golf. I missed it first time and drove straight to the house across planted wheat. Glen said no damage to the crops. I have a good insurer anyway :D

taxiwayG.jpg

RWY 21.

glen7.jpg

There is a little raise in the middle Glen said if you could not make it before the raise go around. I made it.

Glen9.jpg

RWY 3

glen10.jpg

Last edited:
After successful inspection there is always another one :) The house is still in construction but it's already shaped like a mansion on Museum Mile.

test1.jpg

We checked only one third of the house. Then the host cooked with help of Zen. He could easily be hired as chief chef by Petrossian. This is the kitchen. Bamboo cabinetry is under construction in the hangar waiting for handles from Madagascar. Seriously.

test2.jpg

And this is the food. We conquered right farm :D

glen6.jpg

We chatted and chatted and chatted. When I looked at the clock it was past 3 pm. Time to go I have Day VFR machine need to make it home before sunset.

"Salmon Ground, flight of two RV's taxiing to the active via Golf". Good Bravo Kilo was working as a leaf blower with his huge prop. Now Glen has clean taxiway :)

glen2.jpg

Salmon Tower 174BK flight of two departing to the north.

glen1.jpg

The North met us with precipitation and low ceilings but still good VFR. We dodged, lost each other and went home separately.

dodgingshower.jpg

Good tailwind helped by the time I got to Princeton the University Stadium was lit. It's getting darker but still daytime.

princetonstadium.jpg

In mid December days are short. With RV you can launch afternoon to your favorite destination and be back home by dinner. Keep pounding do not surrender! You have some boundaries to expand. Come to Salmon Farm you will enjoy it.

Vlad / Tony,

You guys have nice machines !

Let Brutis know Zen enjoyed the visit and was a happy blob by evening!

Co-pilot
377126_2417641153519_1026082126_32037211_1610147114_n.jpg

"Loose" formation
391966_2417643073567_1026082126_32037212_666605136_n.jpg

Nooooo Tony your copilot zoomed iPhone too much. I was 1/4 mile and had you in sight :D FP non aerobatic can not do that.

Vlad / Tony,

You guys have nice machines !

Let Brutis know Zen enjoyed the visit and was a happy blob by evening!

Glen,
It was one of the best RV trips I've made. We will be back thanks for everything. Please post those tips a low RV timer may use.

Thanks for stopping in to 53VG. You're welcome back anytime. And for those not local, this is an RV Hotel too. While I officially observe a "first come / first serve policy", I can bend the rules for the right "insentive" :D

Visitors, Hints & Tips, and current happenings will soon be posted to 53VG.com ... But give me a couple days to built that web site (I need to get those new kitchen cabinets done) :)

Texas???

Vlad,

I need to get a better look at the "9" and I have a few questions. When are you going to fly down and see us?

Grrrr, beautiful. I can't wait to join you?somewhere.

Vlad,

When are you going to fly down and see us?

Mid March what RV Hotel is by you Dean?

Vlad,

You're rolling grass? Isn't that a disqualifier for your medical?

Bill,
I know you are Master Linguist and I am still learning to use properly an "a" and the "the" :D English is my third language.

I'm beginning to wonder if Vlad has a day job? I'd like to get over there and meet you guys- my 40 hours is up and I need to see Hanger #5 and meet Vlad!

Dave I do have a daily job if not RV I would have quit long time ago :D Hey let's show up at Hangar #5 unannounced on January the 8th?

Back