What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The new HS00005 rib clearance

Mohammed

Patron
Hi,

When I cleco'ed the horizontal stab togather for drilling I had noticed the main root rib (HS00005. It is the new design rib that replaced the HS405 released with the recent SB) I had noticed that the length flanges barely make it under the fwd spa HS702 and skin. I am not worried about the spar flange as this part will be removed as per the recent SB but the skin is an issue.

20140706_012840.jpg

As you can see from the pictures there is no way I can drill skin because it will just go through the edge of the flange.

20140706_012911.jpg

On the same topic, the SB-14-01-31 figure 5 at page 8 it calls for drilling the most forward hole to be drilled to size #27 which confused me as the original instructions and plans called for #40 and is that applied only on the flange or even the skin?

20140706_012949.jpg

Clearance hole

I understand the hole in the flange that is called out to #27 is a clearance hole for the rivet that plugs the hole in the skin. I opened it up a bit more to clear the shop head.

Paul you are right. This is the response I got from Van's:

"It is not supposed to pick up that hole in the rib. The rivet will simply fill the hole in the skin.
The 27 hole gives clearance for the rivet head."

Back