What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Are you removing or modifying any structure behind the panel to facilitate this modification? What type of fasteners typically hold in this panel section? I am guessing the RV8 structure has a structural member between the two landing gear uprights behind the panel somewhere. If there is a continuous piece of metal attaching to and running between the two uprights, and your modification changes that, then I would use caution.

AAflyer,

Not a bad idea. I was in the same boat, with my legs hitting the bottom of the panel. My solution was what stein did for his customer. I made a panel with cut outs in the bottom. Just a one inch cut out makes a huge difference. In order to regain the strength of the panel, so it doesn't flex, I then recessed the entire panel back one half an inch and made this panel out of carbon fiber. Good luck!

B4755BA2-5988-4160-9A44-703E198DF036-12342-00000E3197BFF535.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Panel Mod

Hello Bruce,

I don?t see anything wrong with what you?re planning. For the 8/8A, structurally, most of the loads are carried by the canopy hoop, the bulkhead behind the panel, and, of course, the skin. The panel mostly hangs there and goes along for the ride.

Just a thought: For climbing in the 8, you?ll probably need most of the clearance for your knees right at the outer edges of the panel where you have the two 45-degree indents now. You might consider make those indents a little steeper and deeper and then fill-in, or partially fill-in (stick clearance), the center section to give you a little more panel space.

Flyboy,

With the two big screens taking up most of the panel, what are you doing for the radios and transponder?
Will you please post a few more pics?

Thanks

AAflyer,

Not a bad idea. I was in the same boat, with my legs hitting the bottom of the panel. My solution was what stein did for his customer. I made a panel with cut outs in the bottom. Just a one inch cut out makes a huge difference. In order to regain the strength of the panel, so it doesn't flex, I then recessed the entire panel back one half an inch and made this panel out of carbon fiber. Good luck!

B4755BA2-5988-4160-9A44-703E198DF036-12342-00000E3197BFF535.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm going with a dynon setup. I'll use their transponder. The radio is off to the left in front of the throttle. It's an xcom. I'll try to find some pics later today.

Thanks for feedback

IMG_2951_zps865ebb61.jpg
IMG_2949_zpsa79b9c57.jpg

Well, I definately need to make room, and, Yes, there is a well-place z-bar spanning the fuselage about 3-1/2 inches behind, and at the bottom of the panel. It will make a perfect support bracket for the recessed sub-panel and, hopefully, allow me to bend the bottom 3 1/2 inches of my panel backwards to integrate with it. With the shallow depth of the SkyView, I should have room to mount all the remote boxes behind, including a Vertical Power VP-X, which leaves little reason to use any more panel space for transponder, autopilot, CBs, etc. Will probably put a glovebox above my right knee in the lower panel.
Am glad to hear I am not blazing a new trail here. Will try to contact ColoRV for pictures. If anyone has photos of something similar, please throw them up on the board.
Bruce

Last edited:
NewPanel111-crop_zpsb4da35c3.jpg

So, here's a shot of my new panel. I stayed with the cherry wood veneer with three coats of tung oil. Used decal maker for the lettering. What we have is a Dynon Skyview with auto pilot, a Garmin 480 with a MidContinent annunciator, a Garmin Area 510, a PS Engineering Par 100 Audio Panel/Com, aTru Trak Gemini PFD, a VM 1000 and a EC100, a Trig TT31 Mode S transponder, Carb air temp and Outside air temp and chonograph. Three GPS sources, one Nav source and the ability to monitor four frequencies at one time.

All of the credit goes to Jon Abar and Dane Patterson, fellow Falcon RV Squadron mates. They did all the work. I held lights, ran to ACS and wrote checks to the vendors. Now all I have to do is learn how to operate everything. Comments welcomed.

Last edited:
Aaflyer,

I think the panel mod is great.

One suggestion for the skyview. I offset my skyview and use the iPad next to it. This combination has worked amazing for me. The offsett actually centers the PFD as well.

ADE39272-8CD9-4C16-B845-2918BC1C8005-424-0000006F2CDB4101_zps00eb7483.jpg

Another Upgrade

Here's a photo of my latest upgrade in N8JL.

I removed a GNC300XL and MD41 annunciator, and removed my SL30 and replaced them with a Garmin GTN650/GTR200 combo.

I am planning on the GRT Mini AP when it's released. The panel is already cut and nutplated for that unit but I made a plate to hold the Dynon D10A in the interim. The Dynon D1 is the tiebreaker if one of the ADHRs give bad info.

I'll be doing a detailed write up on the new install and what I gained and lost in the near future.

So far, I love the 650 and it's little brother 200.

11051779465_30c123934b_b.jpg

Welcome to VAF!

Alan, welcome to the good ship VAF.

Photo posting hints are upper right side of the page, or click here.

In the meantime, I fixed your post.

It's coming along.

I'm waiting to get another order from ACS, so while I wait, I decided to play with the panel.

I had this panel cut by Bill at Up North....I'm very happy with the results. Bill was easy to deal with and was quick with the panel.

I still have to pick up the PMA5000, which is already cut out above the VP100. I'm undecided what I'm going to do with the space above the SL40...switches, indicator lights? Not entirely sure yet.

I'll be adding a couple of angles to the radio and transponder and cutting a few lightening holes in the bracket as well.

2z8bxvd.jpg

zwc1tx.jpg

RV-8 I-LOVI Capt. Marco Ricci

This is the story of a project that was born in a conversation inside the hangar. My friend Marco, owner of the RV8 told me, "I would like to do a new panel for my plane, but I can't do it alone, it's quite a few years I have this idea"

I told him that I could help him out, so the same night I sent him a CAD Project of a panel, he was very anxious of the idea so we spent the next 10 nights with teamviewer and skype spending hours and hours of mutual confrontations.

The first difficult was the space, there's not allot of space in an RV8 panel so we couldn't underestimate every aspect! front obstructions, back obstructions and composition of the instruments. after so many tries we had the final draft, so the next step was the cutting of the panel.

He gave me website where they do the numeric controll cutting, and he told me by phone "you know, it would be quite nice to have the words engraved can we do that on little pannels?"

The very same night I started to redesign the panel thus I liked the idea I wanted the engravings in the same panel. It was very difficult maintain the alligments, but after so many tries we had it! sent the file after one week we had the panel! he was very happy of the result, so the inital state was to redimension the existing wiring for the new panel and instruments. we spent entire nights studying every wiring diagram, and the first panic overcame.

He started having doubts about having a good final on this project, but after that morning that I helped him out encouraging him, Marco was more conviced that there was a good way out.

Much of the problems where then resolved easily and t was starting to have the final result.

2 days ago the static test, went perfect! the day for the first flight test came, Marco who has a long history of flight made the takeoff, everything went perfect. We are now proud to share our project with all of you, because it strenghten our friendship, and the love for the RV8!

The old panel:

IMG_4448.jpg

The New Panel

IMG_4986.jpg

I like it! And what type/make attittude, altimeter, HSI (the one under the AI) indicators are those if I may ask???

Last edited:
Captain ?

nice panel, really I didn't know that Marco was a ... CAPTAIN :D:D:D

This is the story of a project that was born in a conversation inside the hangar. My friend Marco, owner of the RV8 told me, "I would like to do a new panel for my plane, but I can't do it alone, it's quite a few years I have this idea"

I told him that I could help him out, so the same night I sent him a CAD Project of a panel, he was very anxious of the idea so we spent the next 10 nights with teamviewer and skype spending hours and hours of mutual confrontations.

The first difficult was the space, there's not allot of space in an RV8 panel so we couldn't underestimate every aspect! front obstructions, back obstructions and composition of the instruments. after so many tries we had the final draft, so the next step was the cutting of the panel.

He gave me website where they do the numeric controll cutting, and he told me by phone "you know, it would be quite nice to have the words engraved can we do that on little pannels?"

The very same night I started to redesign the panel thus I liked the idea I wanted the engravings in the same panel. It was very difficult maintain the alligments, but after so many tries we had it! sent the file after one week we had the panel! he was very happy of the result, so the inital state was to redimension the existing wiring for the new panel and instruments. we spent entire nights studying every wiring diagram, and the first panic overcame.

He started having doubts about having a good final on this project, but after that morning that I helped him out encouraging him, Marco was more conviced that there was a good way out.

Much of the problems where then resolved easily and t was starting to have the final result.

2 days ago the static test, went perfect! the day for the first flight test came, Marco who has a long history of flight made the takeoff, everything went perfect. We are now proud to share our project with all of you, because it strenghten our friendship, and the love for the RV8!

The old panel:

IMG_4448.jpg

The New Panel

IMG_4986.jpg

Panel for 369WR

Thought I would throw my hat in the ring a post a pic of my instrument panel.
4fvpcn.jpg

Last edited:
N411TW

Wanted to get this posted before I do another upgrade :eek:
N411TWAvionicsPB_zps6118f13f.jpg

She underwent a major avionics upgrade in March of 2014 and now has the following Garmin equipment:
?GTN-650 NAV/COM
?GTR-200 COM 2
?GMA-240 AUDIO PANEL
?GTX 23 ES TRANSPONDER
?GDU 370 PFD
?GDU 370 MFD
?GEA 24 ENGINE MODULE
?GSU 25 ADHRS 1
?GSU 25 ADHRS 2
?GMU 22 MAGNETOMETER
?GTP 59 OAT PROBE
?GMC 305 AP AFCS
?GSA 28 AP SERVO
?GSA 28 AP SERVO
?GAD 29 ARINC MODULE
?GDL 39 3D ADSB MODULE
?TCW BACKUP BATTERY

old school high tech?

here are a couple pics of the recently completed panel for my 8A project:

may8a.jpg

may8b.jpg

may8d.jpg

Consistent with my overall 'WWII bars and stars' scheme, I wanted an old school look and feel with modern functionality and proven reliability. A few features:

-inset center panel for better knee room and improved cockpit ergonomics (IMHO). Now stick full forward does not reach the panel (stick is also bent). Inset panel distance to eyeballs is now more like side by side RVs.

-Autopilot is VSVG for 430W coupled approaches.

-Transponder is Trig T22 and is 2020 ADSB compliant.

-Ram mount ball is for Ipad mini for when I cant resist being distracted from flying the plane. Plane is also equipped with Garmin GDL39 3D adsb radio to feed the ipad, and APRS.

The center of the panel was inset with light weight aluminum spacers, and I canted the 430W up 15 degrees to improve viewability and avoid cutting F-802N-1 upper fwd brace. Even with the setback the 430 just fits in there with 1/4 inch to spare, using 90 degree BNC adapters. I also fabbed some aluminum bezels to cover the gaps on the side of inset panel.

Painted with Concept then clear coated with 'flexed and flat' low gloss clear coat after labeling with Decal Pro system.

Here's a close up of the inset spacers, which set the center panel back 1 3/4"

may8f.jpg

Nice work Steve. I'm sure it took quite a bit of time to sort out all the details (as these things do)

2hfqbmt.jpg

After all that wiring I had to share:

• Dynon FlightDEK-D180 with AOA
  • Dynon HS-34 Autopilot control
  • Dynon SV Intercom 2S
  • iFly 720 GPS with AirGizmo dock
  • Garmin GNC 255A NAV/COMM
  • Trig TT31 Transponder
  • TruTrak Gemini PFD
  • ACK 406 E-04 ELT
  • Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO detector
  • Aircraft Extras EL Panel Lighting

My Panel

33nx74y.jpg

Yet another RV8 panel. Both of the GRT's have synthetic vision but where I live, not much to look at. ;)

panel

Thanks so much for helping me understand your panel...it was nice to talk to you...exciting stuff, I think mine is going to look real similiar

Here's my panel. I think the gentleman who built it did a nice job of balancing steam and glass, which is what I wanted.

RV8%20Panel-XL.jpg

Druel, Druel, Slober, Druel....Dream....

Here's my panel. I think the gentleman who built it did a nice job of balancing steam and glass, which is what I wanted.

I love the fire extinguisher placement and the cup holders, and the other goodies too. Very nice!

Colojo....very well executed! Like the darker interior than the standard, lighter Ford paint that is difficult to keep clean.

"Tall Man" panel mod update

Whenever I describe how I modified my panel to accommodate my extraordinary physique, (6'-5"), I'm often asked more questions that only a picture can answer. So, here's what I did to let me pull my feet back to the spar when getting out, without leaving my kneecaps on the bottom edge of the panel.

iyie6a.jpg

snhyll.jpg

2ugdij4.jpg

Hope this helps other inseam-challenged RV-ers.
:D

Last edited:
Whenever I describe how I modified my panel to accommodate my extraordinary physique, (6'-5"), I'm often asked more questions that only a picture can answer. So, here's what I did to let me pull my feet back to the spar when getting out, without leaving my kneecaps on the bottom edge of the panel.

Very very interested since I am also tall and long legged and starting to work on my fuselage so this isn't too far down the road for me.

FYI, the lower "sub-panel", that can easily be used for a switch panel, is actually the front of my avionics tray.
2a61sef.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry that this picture is so busy.
The tray is attached to bulkhead with 2 sections of piano hinge, so the whole thing can be removed after uncoupling the plugs and antenna couplings.

Final Iteration, for now..

I've had my plane since October of 06 and when I started flying her, the panel was basic day VFR like this..

15835857369_aebcd56dd7_b.jpg

Over the years I've gone thru several upgrades from better VFR, to Basic IFR with a GRT Sport SX and a Garmin 300XL.

A couple years ago I decided I needed, NEEDED a full up IFR platform so I upgraded the Sport to the HXr, the 300XL was supplemented by an SL30, then both of those were replaced with a Garmin 650.

Audio is now PSEngineering PMA450, second com is a Garmin GTR200, Trig TT31 connected to it is full 2020 compliant for ADSB out. ADSB in is provided by SkyRadar D2.

The HXr had a single ADHRS, and I needed redundancy for that so I added a MiniX. Then I needed a tie breaker if one of those failed, so I added a second MiniX.

I have full standby electrical powering HXr, Mini 1&2, audio panel, GTR200 and A/P is all heck breaks loose.

Here's the final iteration, for now. I couldn't be happier.

15835847429_9e99f37849_b.jpg

I still have to remember it's a single engine, no icing or TRW airplane and each of us has to set our limitations and comfort level to suit ourselbes, but what a nice way to travel. I looked back at a photo of my original panel and thought, how lucky are we to be able to do this to our little airplanes.

I looked back at a photo of my original panel and thought, how lucky are we to be able to do this to our little airplanes.

Not only able to do it, but at a cost that is vastly closer to affordable than the folks in the certified world.

Good looking panel, BTW:D

Looks good Widget...you and James did a very nice job on that (he tells me that he did all the work and you just supervised...not sure who to believe there). But - what's the deal with that vent - we'll need to get you on the right path there?! It's also good to see you left some room for yet more goodies to be installed under the screen - because I know you're not done yet! :)

Nicely done.

Cheers,
Stein

Looks good Widget...you and James did a very nice job on that (he tells me that he did all the work and you just supervised...not sure who to believe there). But - what's the deal with that vent - we'll need to get you on the right path there?! It's also good to see you left some room for yet more goodies to be installed under the screen - because I know you're not done yet! :)

Nicely done.

Cheers,
Stein

OK Your Steiness, you're shamin me into nice aluminum eyeballs. I'll have to give you a call soon.

As to more goodies, "he who dies with the most toys wins"!

What else could l I possibly NEED, since I've left some room?

You got it WRONG!!! :)

Nicely done.

Cheers,
Stein

HE did all the WORK!
I did the supervision. :)
<It is easy to supervise when it is somebody else's stuff.>

Actually we have worked well together on the various iterations of Widget's panel.

Now, as I mentioned, I want one just like his when I grow up!! :)

James

G3X Touch / GTN650 Panel Update for RV-8A N2D

I thought I?d post a picture of my new G3X Touch / GTN650 panel. This is the sixth panel upgrade for my RV-8A in the 9 years I?ve been flying it.

2ez2s00.jpg

One question I?m frequently asked is how I did the silk screened labeling. Actually it?s just white-on-clear labels printed with a Brother label maker. The panel (along with the rest of the cockpit) is painted with rattle can Dark Machine Grey Rustoleum and has held up great. When you upgrade the panel every year or two it?s really nice to be able to do it without setting up a spray gun and ordering custom labels, engravings, etc.

Happy New Year everyone!

Mark Navratil
Spring Hill, KS
RV-8A N2D flying
RV-14A s/n 140017 wings

Advanced RV-8 Panel

We shipped this RV-8 panel before the end of the year and it should be flying in the next couple of months in a new RV-8.

16217504322_4e75d4ce02_o.jpg

Configured, tested and ready to install with the following equipment:
Two AF-5600T Touch Screens, Integrated Autopilot, AF-Intercom, AF-Com, Remote Mode S ES Transponder, Multi screen ADS-B Weather-Traffic, 406 ELT, Dual ADAHRS,
Lighting controller with Wig-Wag, Flap Positioning, Auto Trim, Advanced control module, Remote USB data jacks for easy database and logbook updates.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Smoke free!

Just fired up the VP-100 and the panel the other day. What a relief! No smoke and everything is working.

I just installed the SL-40 today and can receive the Oshawa tower (6NM away) from my garage as well as the aircraft in the air.

Just tested the cellphone function and intercom on the PMA5000. Works very nicely.

Back