What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nuckolls Z-12 Basic Question....

Reflex

Well Known Member
After pouring through a significant number of wiring diagrams on this site and looking though several others, I've decided that staying as close as possible to Bob Nuckolls Z-12 diagram would be best for me. Some of you have a real knack for seeing things in a diagram that I just don't. With this mind, I still have a question.

Below is the Z-12 wiring diagram from The AeroElectric Connection. I have a couple of questions:

• Why is there a Hall Effect sensor AND an amp meter on the battery side of the secondary alternator?
  • If this is necessary, why isn't there both on the primary alternator?

See lower right side of the drawing below denoted by the red arrows.

Z-12.jpg

The standby alternator voltage regulator is set lower than the primary. The sensor on the standby alternator alerts the standby voltage regulator that the voltage from the primary alternator is low (failed main alternator) and energizes the standby alternator to pick up the load. Each alternator has a current shunt (for the ammeter display) so you know what each alternator is putting out.

Pretty sure Bob Nuckolls explains this in the AeroElectric Connection

You may be interested in Bob's latest dual alternator configuration Z101. He seems to be moving on from Z12. I think the latest thinking is with two reliable alternators an endurance bus is not needed.

Z101 shows an engine bus for an all electric ignition system. Just cut that part out if you using mags/Pmags or ShureFly.

I thought I wanted dual alternators when first planning my electrical system but realized with a TCW IBBS back up battery I didn't need the expense and complexity of two alternators. Here's my system which is a cut down version of Z101

Last edited:
According to the documentation for the SB1B-14 standby regulator, the Hall effect current sensor is optional. It is used to allow the regulator to flash the "STBY ALT ON" indicator lamp when the current being supplied by the standby alternator exceeds a threshold (which is I assume is around 20A). With any kind of modern electronic engine monitoring system, you can probably leave this out.

Last edited:
Back