What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

New Garmin G3X

The newest creation left today, I always hate to see them go :)

This was a "simple" VFR RV4 panel with some great features:
Included GTR200 with built in intercom, ADS-B In/Out (2020 compliant GPS) with mode S Xpdr, full auto pilot with GMC307 control panel, back-up battery and a GRT Mini X to back it all up.

DSC01868-800.jpg

Gorgeous...

The newest creation left today, I always hate to see them go :)

This was a "simple" VFR RV4 panel with some great features:
Included GTR200 with built in intercom, ADS-B In/Out (2020 compliant GPS) with mode S Xpdr, full auto pilot with GMC307 control panel, back-up battery and a GRT Mini X to back it all up.

DSC01868-800.jpg

Dang Walt, you do nice work! If I ever build again I know who to call when panel time arrives! :)

Thanks for sharing...
V/R
Smokey

Haven't posted on VAF much, but with all the great info was able to complete a panel upgrade and complete electrical system overhaul on my '96 RV-4 (not built by me). Thanks for all the great info on here!
Before:
y26o_kOVFmUJd3yMYQl1WzEpKzcTAHLY1OdQ_0oZR0r8GE1Db0faBAcosGBOq2_OXzo8N-Zyjx39wv2g3hgVWUhuxNphOneFpUdd4yrT2J5W_uw0UZLu8I74FtJDnPLZqA-Evp2xEBbW4rjTq0t1oIKmYClERVxWaOzPp1pqcf8MWsVEokr49fJ2L4Ecul1tx7CHC1ndDoR-tEtVyF5BUVYgamX0ObdpTtev9Qwvx2S0Ey1ujU1hoxSEaJ-xYxcgbnAJqsoe4lgE6JRnZHaGT1yB9KIMWxtik9W0DROTuuXflPbUVQ53BMhxaIzRTjz360KQBRmbCVLQ9xKej5Wo0Rl9LLk7nYWNCy7fvEWDQtEmfdiWkgdSNkEcrY6ayTQ9HhakDDVI-mC9WJmmmKOTkSBo6IiiDljlDI1Pyv0wmz2jWOuBS7xr6lcyzuT5T0gZv6S6xM_nWUu6ygBQyQSzHsExY4lwICvhinT5mpbNP_pRfsBfGcHN-Kv8H4k7lEfKsZLqE89X7NwVMaezG-7H3ClI8fNBXjxXn9P-lIEsoYl42JNd6Qk4Ukw_l-WMIUjhSgEtd9B_oJzyGVpipE_XaK-K0OBGna4=w894-h670-no

After:
x65HUewcjR1qiBA2RlUpdGPwzLkIyVqpihZxOp9EO_nmaBhgz8KuEjdzl_Qx2bpJVOv7Ny-Ie2ndP91uKh63d5Bm744KIn22DpScFiTcUp_BViE48f1pDcfNZf0ORT2wV4uub2L3YLZn8_BwQW6IvwUBzWLVBtZpPaNV1lpSrdrydj_KkSHutZrx_lddUdMu2Ohu2aCM7WWfu_SkjFXN0gvgLOglDwJB1dxWEEvRorOMXSkXb19xat3Amy4hnK_Gj1_PjM5E9fKowV0UKZAOhZyvRUT6kK1XV8iBcec5AYzDgfibhnMVuDwUOFV8P-6lId_Bbj2HBCen9i04VHt6SgFxQCLRhXDkWYbfqC2oe5w6SdtXI8aiX2HRdeCw5umJ9Yhr5fPYJ6-qpFmWqOZy9vTqSiJ9bRsvDhbCAOpfTDFB6mKmEOLQxc46xm53stH78d5Dug-F6ytHHpMLNjwmqo76ciQZv-5zmXZxGVNa8fonagacfw6X5r3Ur8V44-wjRVc8SHEx6hxVqLK-EBuBW1itPHhJAYCrm5qptfEIHVGblycd2R_h0C0gvbvsmiRszp8_muYyEXUWmLTMCD5BhnzFK9-lgCk=w894-h670-no

Still waiting on a G5 that will go to the right of the big G3X display. Complete picture will be posted once I get that.
Full post with schematic and many thanks here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139898
Jon

Last edited:
Nice Panel

I especially like the off-center approach to the G3X. It looks a little odd when the screen is off but, once you have the display up and partitioned properly, the PFD is perfectly centered in front of the pilot. Mine's done this way too and it really works well with one, big 10" Skyview or G3X.

That was the idea! It'll look much better once I get my G5 in there and show you guys/girls a picture of the whole thing. The PFD side of it isn't perfectly centered, but it's the best I could do with the constraints and I love it!

Jon

RV-4 Panel on a budget

Ok so it's not a Fancy glass panel like Fitz has but I couldn't justify the bucks required for a full glass cockpit for the type of flying I normally do. This is what you can do if you buy smart, look for used equipment (mostly here on the forum) and don't mind some round gauges. The carbon fiber look is from using 3M Carbon Fiber tape- easy to use, allows for screw ups and redos (Axel's idea). Just peel off a bit, heat up with a heat gun and reapply-easy. Ok granted the Garmin GTR 200, the G5 and the Aera 660 are new but everything else is used including the ex-military stick & throttle.

The Narco 122D is the newer digital version and works well as a VOR and full ILS capability. The "used" Trio EZ Pilot had to be sent to the Trio company for repair/update but if you are willing to deal with some minor issues you can get a reasonably affordable IFR panel.

Before:

397-E11-FD-2-A08-4445-9-B99-1-A956-BB8-D6-B1.jpg

After:

569-EED2-C-7-C75-4-D12-996-F-1169-CF359852.jpg

Last edited:
Panel

Thanks Fitz but now because of you I have EFIS envy!! But I think I'll leave it alone now and spend money on AVGAS for a while.

I must say though that I am really impressed with the folks at Garmin that helped immensely with the Aera 660 setup. Especially Steve who posts here frequently on the forum and gives great advice. If you've been thinking about a GPS this thing is amazing. Ties into the autopilot, receives WX, traffic and AHARS data via hardwire from the GDL 39 3D, sends frequency data to the GTR 200, you can take a snapshot of the screen display & update via WIFI. If you get the GDL-39 3D the AHARS data will give you a full screen EFIS on the GPS display, - worth checking into...

Oly

Last edited:
Ok so it's not a Fancy glass panel like Fitz has but I couldn't justify the bucks required for a full glass cockpit for the type of flying I normally do. This is what you can do if you buy smart, look for used equipment (mostly here on the forum) and don't mind some round gauges. The carbon fiber look is from using 3M Carbon Fiber tape- easy to use, allows for screw ups and redos (Axel's idea). Just peel off a bit, heat up with a heat gun and reapply-easy. Ok granted the Garmin GTR 200 and the Aera 660 are new but everything else is used including the ex-military stick & throttle.

Had to send the used Narco 122 VOR/ILS for repair but it was a relatively cheap fix. The "used" Trio EZ Pilot also had to be sent to the Trio company for repair/update but if you are willing to deal with some minor issues you can get a reasonably affordable IFR panel.

jud1tw.jpg

Where did you find that stick and throttle? sweet!!

really sharp

Ok so it's not a Fancy glass panel like Fitz has but I couldn't justify the bucks required for a full glass cockpit for the type of flying I normally do. This is what you can do if you buy smart, look for used equipment (mostly here on the forum) and don't mind some round gauges. The carbon fiber look is from using 3M Carbon Fiber tape- easy to use, allows for screw ups and redos (Axel's idea). Just peel off a bit, heat up with a heat gun and reapply-easy. Ok granted the Garmin GTR 200 and the Aera 660 are new but everything else is used including the ex-military stick & throttle.

Had to send the used Narco 122 VOR/ILS for repair but it was a relatively cheap fix. The "used" Trio EZ Pilot also had to be sent to the Trio company for repair/update but if you are willing to deal with some minor issues you can get a reasonably affordable IFR panel.

jud1tw.jpg

Where did you get the cool throttle?
Daddy man

Your panel is done in the same spirit as the one in the RV-8 that I bought. Like you, I didn't want a full glass panel for my mission in that plane, which is strictly day VFR. I think it looks great!

This is a beautifully elegant panel, well suited to the mission of an RV-4.
Technology when necessay, but not necessarily technology. Well done!

This panel just flew for the first time yesterday. Not room for much more in this one.

e5f9166587a61d6920fe431edbfc3fbb_zpsv1szobak.jpg

RV9A Ipadpro 12.9 in panel ....

Hi ,
just thought I'd post a few pictures of my panel using an ipadpro 12.9 !
The ipad can run 2 apps together using its sensors , one is running Skydemon
(a mostly european nav - app) second app is A-efis which is quite nice
o43.jpg

I also made my own ipadholder :I slide it in , including its cover and it's kept
in place by the canopy , had to cut a small hole since it's the 12,9" ipad :rolleyes:

o44.jpg

Danny

RV9A F-PDAD

Panel picture RV-4

Latest and hopefully almost final version of my RV-4 panel. Now complete with a flight verified Garmin GTX-335 ADSB-out transponder. Since I have a GMU-11 magnetometer feeding my Garmin G5 (with backup battery) for magnetic heading, I got rid of the worthless whiskey compas and installed a Falcon GT-50 in it's place (upper right corner).

dfdiqq.jpg

Last edited:
How are guys getting around bulkhead F-402C with long radio racked radios mounted low on the panel. I read a few posts of guys saying they just put angle aluminum on the back of the panel but is F-402C structural? I'm no engineer but it looks that way to me on the plans. Any issues with deleting or cutting 402C?

Justin

Finally posting full view of my finished panel...if only to nudge Oly to put full glass in his.

Beautiful panel Fitz! Just curious how often you get to look at it when all you really see is a hinge bolt through a spinner😳
Ryno

How are guys getting around bulkhead F-402C with long radio racked radios mounted low on the panel. I read a few posts of guys saying they just put angle aluminum on the back of the panel but is F-402C structural? I'm no engineer but it looks that way to me on the plans. Any issues with deleting or cutting 402C?

Justin

The F402C is most definately a structural member, and I've seen a few missing ones that had to be replaced :eek:.
Looks to me in the above panel the GTN/GTR radios will be above it, but it gets very close in that area.

Pyro switch is for wing mounted pyrotechnics, smoke canisters. The panel switch arms a momentary switch on the stick for lighting them off, because it’s really embarising and expensive to light them off accidentally!

We didn’t touch the structural cross member (except to drill a hole or two for wires), kept everything above it.

A neat thing we did is steal an idea from some of the other guys and put a “safety” on the smoke system. The relay for the smoke pump isn’t powered unless the engine has oil pressure. That way if the engine quits at low altitude with smoke on and the stupid stick actuator (me) forgets to turn it off the smoke pump stops squirting flammable fluid into the exhaust. Too many post-crash flight fires from that and a fairly easy safety mechanism.

And yes Pyro, lots of time staring at hinge to spinner, which is why I have separate PTT buttons for each radio. That way I don’t have to look at the panel to know if I’m talking to flight lead or ATC!

Last edited:
RV-4 dynon

Here are the before - after shots of my panel after a complete redo. Took one week just to mark and take out the old stuff, I basically removed every wire except the wing runs. Panel cut by UpNorth aviation who was fantastic to work with. Flying with a borrowed 470 until Dynon ships my 472. Dynon has been great to deal with. Ben
2s0l5sk.jpg
j0jjpu.jpg

Panel

Wow Ben! That looks great! How much lighter is everything? Nice glove box/cup holder area where the old transponder and fuel gauges were!

Last edited:
RV4 Dynon make-over

Taltruda, I lost 12 pounds with the conversion! The last time the ship was weighed was only 5 years ago and with the same scales. I gotta figure out some sort of door for the ?new? glove box that won?t interfere with the stick. Ben

roll up door

Look on eBay. If you search specifically for a 1967 mustang roll up door for the glove compartment. That might work for you.

A friend and I have bought our -4 together, and luckily we both felt the same about our panel. It was full of old vacuum instruments, a VOR and other stuff we felt we'd never use. And so we set about doing a new panel.

Victor uses the plane for local aerobatics mostly, whereas I am mostly doing formation flying with the occasional cross country trip. All strictly VFR. And so we figured we didn't need glass panels. One simple EFIS to have a horizon, plus some reshuffling of the basic round dials that came with the plane. Add Mode S transponder and 8.33 kHz radio (both mandatory here), plus an iPad mini to tell you where you are. Who needs more?

So we put a new panel in CAD, had it CNCd and powder coated, moved the switches to the side panel, rewired 80% of the aircraft and came up with this.

(before and after pics:)

watermark.jpg

IMG_3504-small.jpg

hello Hans

nice to see your RV 4. I hope to see you this or next year. I have a RV7A. Bought this plane in US. She flies so great.

2 inch

I just bought the 2" version at Oshkosh. Guys came from Italy. First time showing at Oshkosh. I am very happy with the unit and it was only 500 bucks

RV-4 retrofit IFR Panel

Heres my sexy IFR setup. (G5 coming January 2019 in the hole where the vent currently is)

IMG_5314.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My new RV4 panel

Hallo. I just finished my panel(still have to mark breakers) on my new RV4 I-BILT. First flight is in short final. I am awaiting for the permit to fly. Panel is very simple. It hides a Dynon T22 transponder. ASI, altimeter, G-meter and magnetic compass are redundant (already in the EFIS).

Second key

Congratulation to this really nice looking panel! I'm just curious what the second key - left of the ignition key - is for?

Thank-you!

That is the battery. No possibility to remove ignition key from airplane without switching off the battery...
...when the two keys will be linked together.

Panel #2 since purchase. There is a blank on the left for a Garmin AP Head and I need to label the Annunciation lights. But it is coming along. This one will be in until a G3x is in the budget. :)

RV4_Panel.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo. I just finished my panel(still have to mark breakers) on my new RV4 I-BILT. First flight is in short final. I am awaiting for the permit to fly. Panel is very simple. It hides a Dynon T22 transponder. ASI, altimeter, G-meter and magnetic compass are redundant (already in the EFIS).

Perfect registration "number"! :D

Nick,

Very nice panel. But holy meconium that is one monster size throttle grip.:eek:

LOL, Its totally overkill but I like it. It started life as a Thrustmaster F16 gaming grip. All aluminum, built crazy stout. The nice part is all the switches are aircraft quality, not gaming quality.

Back