What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VH-BBU first flight

-goose

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, my RV-7 VH-BBU had her maiden flight from Canungra International Airport, Queensland, Australia yesterday in the capable hands of the legendary Nigel Arnot.
This has project has come to completion with the help of many generous people in many different ways including of course all of you who contribute your knowledge so generously to these forums; and I thank all of them for this wonderful little plane :) Now I'm looking forward to putting many enjoyable hours on her!

https://youtu.be/cTsorEv-X2Q

A95emyPLvVEEuxaq418rI2_bpZLmWiTq5HL43k-iLZDY7cqkxxlhzQMgPqhuyivd3DArZKy9zuwnim_i09dyiULQlCY2kPvvszczB4nUuZXtABpqoj9jJEOkZlz74K6jvi9fE_s9i9dkalNVMf4vwrXUOCm5RyYPCbtTaSKU1c0qrskn7OuXpc3twsHUhmsEqrtaIpvrIBy1DUVQePHTrukE86YqAPmRVb1e6GUZ9lafuK8vdU6eoq8021sOAPpszwOOICTSw8bmyHER5_pPE_FLyXRQQFwGFBaLjS6oBSx-cT2IAgWEZ5uGe7yz6zJJ8nIbiiAVat5cWGNhdagwLrWpDBENPSGnX6Q69AJeeteWBQXRdtdkwsY1pFah3dMq7dTQELhPqnzauwP0lhyBnsGngNj2cWcW5hbwLi5iyEGf2_7r2MCzRvaGE6bQBPsy-z0flS5Uujn23hxEWZjBhoWS2JxFHxWwBjiwQsy9e9r7H5_tG2en_uEeDIsYKjwWDXVr_ekSOo66oHmGeXCI98_rIdBaHUkvNDrZZbk5DUeuxV1aaCYS4JvipAiO15OnLwF48ZWfsyuXMTkY2q3IEbUgxxtWH3ITlgY84ZhPvKbE5-QzdlqsENDDaH9kuTRGDwIPD9j-plmX_DcvFOK9SYrJ1e9bvQ3jY-FFNrJN6fGye5caUT9c_L5hiTlZy64Lc7UTsACvnASnDfhI2C35vInx=w900-h675-no

Last edited:
Congratulations

It's great to see another "local" RV completed and flying. Looks very nice! Well Done.

Nice work, good choice too with the third wheel where it belongs!:D
Details we need details -:)

Last edited:
This plane looks awesome! Motivational to myself to keep building!
Thank you for posting.

Nice work, good choice too with the third wheel where it belongs!:D
Details we need details -:)

Thanks for the comments guys! She's powered by an 0-360 A1AD, has fixed pitch Sensenich prop, basic classic steam gauge panel (I love vintage aircraft!) with a GTR200 comm and GTX330ES transponder. A couple of minor mods in the form of a centre console with the engine controls plus fuel selector and gauges; and I've omitted the fibreglass lip that usually goes over the windscreen to overlap the edge of the canopy. Instead there's a bulb seal to keep the drafts out.

Nigel reports that she flies straight and true, temps & pressures where they should be. Baffles are stock Van's with all the gaps carefully sealed and the washer trick employed on #3 - CHTs maxed at 400 in the climb settling to 350 in cruise, and that's on overhauled cylinders and pistons, so very pleased with that result. Possibly a bit under-propped with the standard pitch so may look at a cruise prop at some stage once I have more data.

Thanks for the comments guys! She's powered by an 0-360 A1AD, has fixed pitch Sensenich prop, basic classic steam gauge panel (I love vintage aircraft!) with a GTR200 comm and GTX330ES transponder. A couple of minor mods in the form of a centre console with the engine controls plus fuel selector and gauges; and I've omitted the fibreglass lip that usually goes over the windscreen to overlap the edge of the canopy. Instead there's a bulb seal to keep the drafts out.

Nigel reports that she flies straight and true, temps & pressures where they should be. Baffles are stock Van's with all the gaps carefully sealed and the washer trick employed on #3 - CHTs maxed at 400 in the climb settling to 350 in cruise, and that's on overhauled cylinders and pistons, so very pleased with that result. Possibly a bit under-propped with the standard pitch so may look at a cruise prop at some stage once I have more data.

Be nice to see a pix of your modified with the centre consul? That's the one thing I've never liked about the side by side seating airframe, the Cessna type engine controls. A CS prop makes a noticeable diff, save yr pennies and swap yours out some day, you won't be sorry -:)

Had the same prop on a O-360 on my 7. My pitch was 85". It was the most efficient prop, more efficient then my Hartzell C/S. The C/S,however, offers more choices of operation and kills the float on landing. Also gear leg wood stiffeners are a must for smooth landings. Happy flying!

Back