What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anything I am forgetting before I rivet down the floors?

UnPossible

Well Known Member
I am at the point I need to rivet down the baggage and rear seat floors to move ahead.

I think I have everything run that I need to run, but wanted to check with those that have gone before me.

I have 5 conduits running from under the flap cover to behind the baggage bulkhead.

I also have 2 #2 (starter and ground) and 2 #6(dual power bus) wires run, as well as the static tubing.

The hoses coming up either side of the center tunnel are for the AC system.

Is there anything else I should consider running now, or am I ready to steam ahead?

2cshv1u.jpg

Thanks,
Jason

Don't scare the man, Mike. :D Rudder cables are in the tunnel, not under the floors.

Is that fat ground wire per plans? I was planning to use airframe as local ground for rear-mounted battery.

Don't scare the man, Mike. :D Rudder cables are in the tunnel, not under the floors.

Aaaa yep, forgot that. Saw the empty snap bushings and well, you know.....

Is that fat ground wire per plans? I was planning to use airframe as local ground for rear-mounted battery.

I used airframe as ground, no issues. But, the plane was not primed inside. I did make sure to ground the engine to the airframe with a dedicated cable.

Last edited:
Antenna doubler?

You can't see it in this pic, but I have an antenna doubler on the first bay in on both the right and the left sides, with an access panel already cut into the seat pan.

I debated using air frame ground and decided to run a dedicated #2. I've read a ton, and it looks like folks have had success with both methods.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Adding to Jason’s post. One and two comm antennas are located just aft of the rear spar under the rear seat pans. Placed them as out board as I reasonably could. Cut access panels above them and used nut plates. The antennas work great located there. Also cut an access panels to allow access to the bolts for the steps on each side.

I assume you have also installed access panels above the AC hose connections to the condenser? If not, I suggest you do that before installing the floors.

Thanks for all the suggestions...... I double checked everything and went ahead and riveted down the baggage and rear seat floors.

I figure if I forgot anything, I should be able to fit it in the 5 conduits.

Build On......

2h2pg8w.jpg

insulation

I put 2 inch foam from Aircraft Spruce under my floor panels. Why? Perhaps the will absorb sound or keep aluminum from vibrating a bit. Or maybe help with temperature. It is cheap and seemed like the thing to do. I didn't glue it, I cut it slightly large and squeezed it in.

Pull string in a couple of those conduits, to install more wires later. Weed eater string works well and won't corrode.

I put 2 inch foam from Aircraft Spruce under my floor panels. Why? Perhaps the will absorb sound or keep aluminum from vibrating a bit. Or maybe help with temperature. It is cheap and seemed like the thing to do. I didn't glue it, I cut it slightly large and squeezed it in.

It might also absorb/trap water and cause corrosion.

Last edited:
Back