What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fireblock failure...Don't do what I did.

AAflyer

Well Known Member
After what I thought was much judicious research, I found an off-the shelf product to use in sealing my firewall; 3M FB136.
IMG_7555_zpsb4xyecye.jpg

Unfortunately, while working on my baggage door, I discovered that it has cured rock-hard, has cracked, lost its integrity and has leached a white powder.
The label says its for "sealing interior construction voids around wires, pipes, HVAC ducts and vents, in wood or steel framed non-rated construction." I figured the interior restriction was not a problem, as it wasn't going to be exposed to the weather where I was using it. The label also says Store at temperatures above 32 degrees F. Again, not a problem as far as storage is concerned.
I applied this to my plane last fall, and since then it has been as cold as 5 degrees F this past winter, and this is the result.

IMG_7553_zps5nmh242v.jpg

IMG_7554_zpsugu8gows.jpg

I'm now chipping it away, and would love to hear some successful stories about what you used.

....what's in a name?

Rectorseal Biotherm 100.
..........okay guys, I'm pretty sure my doctor used this after my last colonoscopy!....:eek:

You guys should read this thread.

Dan Horton has done some interesting tests and reported results for some of these materials.

I'll be using 3M Fire Barrier 2000+ on my RV-3B.

Dave

+1

You guys should read this thread.

Dan Horton has done some interesting tests and reported results for some of these materials.

I'll be using 3M Fire Barrier 2000+ on my RV-3B.

Dave

Per Dan's research, I am using the 3M Fire Barrier 2000+ on the firewall of my RV-10. I am also using 1/8" Fiberfrax on the firewall and 1/16" Fiberfrax on forward part of the fuse belly, sandwiched between the SS or aluminum skin and a layer of 0.001 thick stainless steel sheet.

Back