What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

John's Rotisserie

wirejock

Well Known Member
VAF has a new advertiser and here's a review of one of their products.
Heartland Machine & Manufacturing, John's Rotisserie
Heartland Machine & Manufacturing

Check out the web page for pricing, details, photos and a video.
Here's a photo of the parts included. Note the "Tail Support Kit" is not included.

2a98ti1.jpg

Assembly it pretty easy.
Forward End
In the site video he recommends 2" X 4" braces. I tend to over engineer so I elected to fabricate some angle iron brackets for the forward end. In my case, the engine mount holes have not been drilled full size and I didn't feel confident in 3/16" bolts through a 2" X 4". Two vertical brackets and one horizontal bracket were fabricated and drilled for the roll assembly.
Aft end
Tail draggers can rotate on the tail spring. Nose draggers need to install something to use as a rotational pivot point. There is a "Tail Support Kit" available. Notice it in the photo. I wanted to use a plywood deck clamped to the longerons with a 3/4" pipe.
Final Assembly
The uprights (4" X 4" X 8'), bolts (3/8"), washers and nuts are not included. It's all standard stuff and easy to find. Simply cut the beam to your desired height. I chose 48" Aft and 36" forward. Next match drill the beams for the feet and rotational brackets and bolt everything in place.
Mounting the Fuse
The fuse is meant to be lifted on the forward end and the bolt inserted into the top of the leg. Then the aft end is lifted and the fuse rotates into place.
I found it easier to mount everything to the forward end first and lift the tail. My fuse was already on saw horses. Once everything was bolted in place, the forward leg was hanging. I lifted the tail till the forward leg rested on the floor and Sweetie pulled the forward saw horse. Next I lifted the tail again and she slid the aft leg in place and removed the saw horse. Easy peasy.
Rotisserie Operation
Sweetie held the fuse, I pulled the pin and we rotated it 90 degrees. Insert the pin and it's firmly in place. Honestly, I was pretty nervous the first time but it's very solid. I can rotate it easy by myself.
First Impressions
The fuse is easy to rotate. The feet are very solid. I'm not at all worried about it tipping or rocking fore and aft. The height can be easily changed simply by putting the fuse back on a saw horse and replacing the beam with another of the desired height.
Here's a finished photo and there are lots more on my blog "Fuselage" page.
Please direct product questions to Heartland Manufacturing.
kez1jk.jpg

Heartland Machine & Mfg.

Thank you Larry for the review and comments. Much appreciated!

I also appreciate all the inquiry's that have come from VAF on the rotisserie kit over the last couple days. Lot's of good comments and suggestions. We will be continually updating our site with new information and short videos on assembly and mounting, and product improvements based on user feedback.

Having said all that if you need to put your project up on a rotisserie down the road please keep us in mind.

Thanks again to Larry (WireJock) for trusting the kit to support his build.

And thank you DR for having me as an advertiser!

John Price

How stable is it? With only the three legs I'd be leery of knocking it over. I think that's why office chairs often have five.

Dave

Stable

How stable is it? With only the three legs I'd be leery of knocking it over. I think that's why office chairs often have five.

Dave

Not to answer for John but...
Suprisingly stable. I was working on the fuse today. It would take a pretty hard shove to tip the fuse. I'm not going to measure the force but it feels pretty solid. I suspect the feet would slide across the floor before it would tip. The span across the feet is about 36". It's much wider than a HF engine stand.

I had bookmarked the website after seeing the post on their advertising. Good to see reviews. Definitely on my must-have list.

I was wondering ......
I assume the rotasserie can be used after the aft deck riveting and before fitting the VS (for fuselage rigidity).
Do the firewall need to be partially riveted as well ?

I was wondering the same thing. Doing a search on the company name I saw some results that indicated it would be closing. I'm going to try the phone number later today and share the results.

Sounds good. I am not at the fuse stage yet, but I'd be willing to buy one of these rotisseries now if he's going out of business and has any left.

VAF has a new advertiser and here's a review of one of their products.
Heartland Machine & Manufacturing, John's Rotisserie
Heartland Machine & Manufacturing

Check out the web page for pricing, details, photos and a video.
--- SNIP ---

Thank you Larry for the review and comments. Much appreciated!

I also appreciate all the inquiry's that have come from VAF on the rotisserie kit over the last couple days. Lot's of good comments and suggestions. We will be continually updating our site with new information and short videos on assembly and mounting, and product improvements based on user feedback.

Having said all that if you need to put your project up on a rotisserie down the road please keep us in mind.

Thanks again to Larry (WireJock) for trusting the kit to support his build.

And thank you DR for having me as an advertiser!

John Price

Am I the only one that is not able to access the website linked in both messages?

Am I the only one that is not able to access the website linked in both messages?

No, Martin and myself are having the same issues. It appears the website has been taken offline / online store closed.

Martin is going to try to call the owner and see if hes still in business.

Owner

No, Martin and myself are having the same issues. It appears the website has been taken offline / online store closed.

Martin is going to try to call the owner and see if hes still in business.

I just called. He will post some time today.

Kits

Thank you Larry. I was just about to call but checked the thread first. I hope he's still selling the kits.

He said he made a design improvement and is waiting on product but it sounded like the rotisserie would be back soon and better than before. I love mine and it's a pre-production sample.

Hello All,

I apologize for being off the radar in regards to the rotisserie kit I was selling thru last fall. I have a 3rd generation product that will be available by mid February 2017.

A few improvements to the new version will adjustable working height, lighter/smaller shipping format, and overall a more refined product.

I very much appreciate all the inquiries and will be back to you all soon with the new product info.

Thanks again Larry (wirejock) for the call today and again sorry for the delay in the new kit.

John Price
402-670-8440

Sounds great John! I am about at the wings, so I'm a long way off, but I'd still buy a rotisserie now so I'll have it ready. I'll keep this thread in my subscribed list so I can be notified when you make the announcement.

You wouldn't happen to also make a really nice set of wing work stands would you? :)

Hello All,

I apologize for being off the radar in regards to the rotisserie kit I was selling thru last fall. I have a 3rd generation product that will be available by mid February 2017.

A few improvements to the new version will adjustable working height, lighter/smaller shipping format, and overall a more refined product.

I very much appreciate all the inquiries and will be back to you all soon with the new product info.

Thanks again Larry (wirejock) for the call today and again sorry for the delay in the new kit.

John Price
402-670-8440

That's very good news, John! I'll be interested in buying one when they become available. I have your phone number on file, and will be watching here for updates. If I don't hear anything, I'll give you a call in Feb and leave my contact info for you.

Back