What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastback Canopy

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
What is the best way to sequence paint on the fastback canopy? I don't think the canopy can bond to a painted surface, but it seems hard to paint the canopy once the bubble is on. Also, once the canopy is riveted in place with the hinge, the hinge is trapped and taking the pin out isn't recommended; so the plane gets painted later with the canopy in place.....

The outside of the canopy no problem; but can I get some inside advice?

canopy mounting

if your canopy is a show planes call butch i have done a few.541 326 7851.dislike taxing as i am slow.

I painted the inside of my fastback after it was finished. I used blue painters tape and plastic wrap to cover the inside and outside of the canopy. Then I painted the inside and epoxy primed the outside.

I must have missed the note about not removing the hinge pin after mounting the canopy. I’ve had mine on and off several times since I finished it. Now it’s safe and secure in the canopy shipping box until finial paint time.

Edit: Can someone give a class on how to rotate pics to the correct orientation?

Attachments

• BECEE360-6A02-477A-8AF8-4BC7F628FF48.jpeg
    BECEE360-6A02-477A-8AF8-4BC7F628FF48.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 146
  • 379BF721-91E1-40C6-AC70-0F3DC2320AC0.jpg
    379BF721-91E1-40C6-AC70-0F3DC2320AC0.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 128
Jeff you just need a basic image editing program, I use one called IrfanView, super easy to use and best part, it's freeware! It has far more image editing functions than you will ever need but it's so easy to use, it's well worth the download.

To fix your image, I simply saved it, opened it in Irfanview, pressed the "R" key and saved it again. That alone rotates it to the correct orientation. You can set IrfanView to be your default image browser as well so that all your images open with it for easy cropping, resizing, etc. To save, rotate, resize your image, upload it to Imagur, copy and paste the embed link took less than a minute. ;)

xkbpvxX.jpg

Canopy looks great btw!

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I used postimage.org before we could post images on site. When I used postimage the pics look just like the one you posted. When using the on site upload sometimes the pics turn 90 degrees.

Thanks - that canopy was a lot of work.

Just mask it and paint it. Nothing real special.

Tips? Fully finish the inside through primer sealer before bonding the canopy to the outside of the flange, so the inside is totally ready for the topcoat. It's easier to do all the sanding with no bubble in the way.

Mask the inside of the canopy in segments so it stays up out of the way. Use 3M green tape, no residue.

A touch up gun is nice to spray inside. Shoot the top of the flanges and above with the canopy upright on sawhorses; kneel or sit on a stool so your head is up inside the bubble. Then flip it to shoot the rest.
-

Attachments

• Canopy Interior Painted.JPG
    Canopy Interior Painted.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Canopy Painted Ext.JPG
    Canopy Painted Ext.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 141
Tips? Fully finish the inside through primer sealer before bonding the canopy to the outside of the flange, so the inside is totally ready for the topcoat. It's easier to do all the sanding with no bubble in the way.

-

THIS! Oh, how I wish I was that smart when I did mine!

Back