What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 Valuations

HoundPilot

I'm New Here
I travel for work and am only home on days off; then I instruct. However I just have to have an RV10!

I have been looking but find nothing on the used market; I finally found one but going through the process I see no way of determining value. One loan company says they average three sample aircraft for sale in the US, yet I find none. I'm putting 40-50% down but still need some sort of a valuation.

Does anyone know how to get an evaluation of an RV10?

I searched the forums here and didn't find the topic. I also called AOPA and searched the internet, nothing....

Thanks You for any help you can provide.

As you mentioned there's not a large enough secondary market on RV-10s to begin speculating 'Value'. I had a gentleman randomly offer me $300K for my RV-10, so does that mean it's worth $300K, or just $300K to that guy. I personally think it's priceless!

$270,000

I just sold my RV 10, 3-3GX, GTN 750, AP, leather interior, O2, EFII, great paint job. for $270,000 400TT. Brand new I0-540...one data point

Experimentals can be a tough nut, especially when dealing with shylocks. My friend Ron has the knowledge to help you find some answers, he is sort of local, will talk a bit for free, and is worth paying when you really need him:

http://aircraft-appraiser.com/

It all depends on how the plane is equipped. IMO you can't beat the bang for the buck of the RV-10, and if I sold the one I'm flying I couldn't replace it. I'd have to spend double the money to get a comparable aircraft (not RV-10) and 3x to operate it.

No thanks.

For a data point, I still don't think I'd entertain an offer north of $300k for the one I'm flying, and you'd also have to convince my partners.

Dual G3X, GTN650, GMC307/GSA28 AP with YD, G5, GDL52R, GSU25, GAD29, GEA24, VPX-Pro, TCW IBBS, EarthX, and more, 275 hrs on a new Thunderbolt IO-540, Great paint job, leather interior, ZipTips.. Cruises low 170s easy, or more economical at 160 on 10.5gph.

Those last two quoted numbers are off scale high for the advertised prices I have seen on the classified sites. At the moment there are few for sale, but that goes up and down as well.

Those last two quoted numbers are off scale high for the advertised prices I have seen on the classified sites. At the moment there are few for sale, but that goes up and down as well.

Agreed, but it only takes one or two buyers to fall in love with a particular airplane and the price can get pretty high.

If somebody wants to offer me $250k, I would take it!

a good tutorial on open market economics in this thread. The more sellers that offer to sell something with limited buyers, the larger the market value reduction.

Larry

Actually, 250k is pretty fair price. I have more than that after building mine. Advanced, EFII, garmin650, behringer brakes, electric everything except AC. Anyone selling for around 250k well build is being reasonable.

Actually, 250k is pretty fair price. I have more than that after building mine. Advanced, EFII, garmin650, behringer brakes, electric everything except AC. Anyone selling for around 250k well build is being reasonable.

It goes without saying, the worth of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay. Hence, the worth of something to me may be vastly different than the worth of that same thing to someone else.

Now, with the caveat above, I don?t doubt that there are many out there that have $250,000 or more into their RV-10. Or, $150,000 or more in their RV-7, $120,000 into their RV-9, etc. That said, the amount of money that one has into their build may have very little correlation to the worth of that build to a buyer.

All this being said, by point is only to say, the amount of money one has into their build is not likely to set the potential sales price. As a matter of fact, I?d venture to say, most have more, and sometimes far more, into their build than they?ll ever get out of it.

I was considering buying an RV-10 a few years ago before building my -14A. I looked around quite a bit, talked to some owners with aircraft for sale, and talked to trusted advisors who are RV-10 experts. The market seemed to be pretty solidly in the 230-250K range for well-built, low-time aircraft with IFR panels/modern EFIS systems. Few were available and when they did come to market they went fast.

The market today seems to be even hotter - I look on T-A-P and Barnstormers from time to time just to see what's out there. Not much - most RV-10s changing hands appear to be word of mouth type sales or through social media/forums. So it doesn't surprise me where the market seems to be today. Considering the comparable aircraft available in the certified market pricing is reasonable.

IMHO, the only way RV-10 prices are going to come down any time soon is if we see another 2007-2009 financial scenario, and/or if GA pilot numbers dramatically fall off for some reason, but GA seems to be enjoying a nice rebirth. The flight schools around me are busier than they've been in 20 years.

Just one viewpoint.

IMHO, the only way RV-10 prices are going to come down any time soon is if we see another 2007-2009 financial scenario, and/or if GA pilot numbers dramatically fall off for some reason, but GA seems to be enjoying a nice rebirth. The flight schools around me are busier than they've been in 20 years.

Yes the flight schools are busy, but here is another data point: The airlines are hiring! I doubt that equates to a "rebirth", as those airline pilots probably aren't going to keep flying GA.

The question is, how many people are taking flying lessons just because they enjoy flying GA?

-Marc

Those interested in selling can msg me and I'll put them in touch with the guy that was interested in mine. He was pretty specific he wants a full glass, 3-blade prop, leather, etc with AC in his next airplane. He even asked about BRS...

Another data point that I didn't mention is a friend sold his '08 second hand RV-10 about 6 months ago for $139K. This was the plane I did my transition training on, very sparse on the options it was straight up plans build, minimal interior, all steam. He did put ADSB out in it though. The engine was a carbed IO-540 with I think 500 hours on it, the airframe had maybe 200 hours on it.

I decided over Christmas to start hunting for an RV-10. Two were for sale at that time, that I
was very interested in trying to purchase, and both appeared to be really good builds with the equipment I would want. They were advertised at 195K and 200K. Both sold before I could get in the game.

Two airplanes an RV-9 and an RV-6 offered here both sold in a couple of days. They were priced at a fair market value. Others comparable to the two mentioned, but priced considerably higher stay for sale. Price it right and it will sale quickly.

Yes the flight schools are busy, but here is another data point: The airlines are hiring! I doubt that equates to a "rebirth", as those airline pilots probably aren't going to keep flying GA.

The question is, how many people are taking flying lessons just because they enjoy flying GA?

-Marc

Agree - but many professional pilots also pursue aviation as a hobby. There's one flight school on my home field - husband / wife CFI team - that specializes in teaching private pilots mostly. They are so busy they've bought / leased several additional aircraft and hired more CFIs. The two commercial focused schools on the field are busy as well for the reason you mention. And let's not talk about hangar availability....

Prices on VRef

Here through COPA in Canada VRef gives the below numbers:

YR MODEL $RETAIL $ CHANGE $RANGE+/- $WHOLESALE AFTT $/HR
2008 RV-10 155,000 20.2k 125.1k 940 11

So lower time and a good avionics package would easily clear $200K US

Example a 40K modern avionics on a 200 TT aircraft is $203,140 US

Plus or minus $20.2 K for history, build quality, Paperwork, Condition etc etc...

Back